No announcement yet.

Official Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    I'd argue investing in general is risky. And anything new is always the most risky so who'd argue with that, but it also has the most upside cuz of people's fear realistic & unrealistic.

You asked the question about interest & it does have interest-like devices at work. I personally don't care what "traditional" investors think. I've read plenty of advice by the traditional investors & they general land smack dab in the middle of what worked for them & can't see the forest for the trees with much else, but plenty of people besides them make money in other fields.

Buffet is a classic example as he stayed away from all the dotcom's cuz they didn't fit his window of understanding. Fair play to him, but plenty did. And the Buffet's of the dotcom era made more money quicker than Buffet probably did with his tactics. And it'll be just like that with this crypto sphere. There are gonna be winners & losers. But just like the dotcom bubble thats so often discussed as a massive hustle people ignore the some of the biggest companies today came up during that dotcom era & were part of the bubble. Those companies just had real value. There are coins that have real value to.

So its as esoteric as any other type of investing. The smart people will win, the dumb people will lose & further down the line when its more mainstream people will put their retirement money in the winning coins. And some new mfers will be investing in the VR era or some other sh^t by then which you & maybe others will be saying is gonna be a bubble that'll pop to.
    I have a general understanding of blockchain and bitcoin and my conclusion (which may or may be correct) is that investing in bitcoin or similar cryptocurrencies is akin to investing in hard currencies.

There are other types of digital securities (not necessarily 'currencies') that you alluded to. I've read a lot (last year) about companies doing ICO (initial coin offerings) that promise investors the rights to future profits, business products, etc. However, I want to just discuss bitcoin.

If bitcoin acts as a currency then it would fluctuate (like other currencies do with one another) against other currencies. Right now the US dollar has appreciated against other currencies making it a strong currency. However, the dollar will eventually decline or plateau against other currencies. My point is, the dollar is not going to provide a positive return year-over-year or provide a net positive return over many years. In fact, inflation is going eat into any gain in value and reduce it's buying power.

Currency is a means to store and exchange value. It's a tool not an investment. Having said this, I would not buy Euros as investment or just keep cash as US dollars. This is how I think of hard currencies.

If cryptocurrency is similar to this, then I don't see how it is an investment opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post

This doesn't sound like a practical investing strategy.
      well you should never invest money you cant afford to lose.

I never put money I need at risk, I put money I was gonna waste anyways at risk.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
        I have a general understanding of blockchain and bitcoin and my conclusion (which may or may be correct) is that investing in bitcoin or similar cryptocurrencies is akin to investing in hard currencies.

There are other types of digital securities (not necessarily 'currencies') that you alluded to. I've read a lot (last year) about companies doing ICO (initial coin offerings) that promise investors the rights to future profits, business products, etc. However, I want to just discuss bitcoin.

If bitcoin acts as a currency then it would fluctuate (like other currencies do with one another) against other currencies. Right now the US dollar has appreciated against other currencies making it a strong currency. However, the dollar will eventually decline or plateau against other currencies. My point is, the dollar is not going to provide a positive return year-over-year or provide a net positive return over many years. In fact, inflation is going eat into any gain in value and reduce it's buying power.

Currency is a means to store and exchange value. It's a tool not an investment. Having said this, I would not buy Euros as investment or just keep cash as US dollars. This is how I think of hard currencies.

If cryptocurrency is similar to this, then I don't see how it is an investment opportunity.
        Fair play to your stance. I definitely see crypto as an investment opportunity. I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy BTC or any other coin. I've thought plenty of things were good opportunities in the past & most were & some weren't. Thats just how it works out.

I know for me I've made more money on crypto than I've made investing in anything else ever by a long shot & my ROI is so ******ed no one outside the crypto sphere believes me. And I've thrown money into traditional sh^t like MF's, stocks & I've even dabbled in running a poker investment fund for someone else & myself for a several years so I've effed around with a lot of investing type sh^t. And if everything I'm holding right now goes to zero I'm still up lifetime on crypto. Thats all I know.

Comment

• Comment

• Eff Pandas
            Sugar Adam Ali

Bitcoin is at $5,521.98

Comment

• JimRaynor,

have you cashed out?

Comment

• Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
                Eff Pandas
                Sugar Adam Ali

Bitcoin is at $5,521.98
                And?

My bet with SAA was 5,000 or less.

And that mfer welched on a bet with MCC so I've considered this bet off since about a week after I got back from Alaska 2 months ago & looked into that situation. I'm sure I mentioned it somewhere on the forum.

I got an all in bet with someone else here now.

Comment

And?

My bet with SAA was 5,000 or less.

And that mfer welched on a bet with MCC so I've considered this bet off since about a week after I got back from Alaska 2 months ago & looked into that situation. I'm sure I mentioned it somewhere on the forum.

I got an all in bet with someone else here now.
                  Red- same rules as the one you had with Adam?

Comment

• Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
                    Red- same rules as the one you had with Adam?
                    No on different sh^t.

Points are getting killed doe so it don't matter either way anyway.

Comment

No on different sh^t.

Points are getting killed doe so it don't matter either way anyway.
                      They were useless. Real money is what should be betting.

Comment

Working...
                      X