No announcement yet.

The myth Golovkin is a small MW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    People used to say Martinez was a small MW aswell.
    People also used to say Pavlik was a big middleweight.

Comment

People used to say Martinez was a small MW aswell.

martinez was a small middleweight. 158 and change in his last fight, and he could hardly spar or run to lose weight.

153.25 in his last fight at 154 against cintron. was 157 and change more than once while he was a champion. was a welterweight for close to 5 years to start off his career, and a JMW for 5+ years after that.

i've seen martinez in person with clothes, and i've seen him fight live. he's a small middleweight. not a baby sized one, but you need to be a small fighter for hte weight to get several lbs below the division limit, and he could.

Comment

I do nt know ifhes big or small. He just do t look very big, not very muscular and in fazce off with brook they look the same size

Comment

Pauline, he is a HW in disguise.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
            Size is determined by weight in boxing not height, i listed lots of MW's why single out Lee?
            How much you can weigh is decided by height. A six feet guy weighing 170 can go further. But it is harder for a guy shorter than that. Lee was a perfect example. Just because he weighs 168 on fight day doesn't mean he can't go higher. That is because his body frame allows him much more muscle. Pirog Hopkins and jacobs are all over 6 feet. GGG literally has muscle creeping out of all of his upper body. He can't keep gaining muscle indefinitely. The most he can fight is probably at 168 but I reckon he will weigh lesser than his counterparts in that weight class which will put him at a disadvantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
              People keep saying he's a small MW which is untrue. As most of us know Golovkin weighs around 170/171. I'm going to post fight night weights of other MW's below to show you he isn't small at all.

Martinez - 165, 168
              Proksa - 166
              Zbik - 165
              Taylor - 166, 169, 171
              Lee - 167.5
              Pavlik - 168, 171
              Hopkins - 166, 168, 169
              Wright - 168
              Barker - 168
              Jacobs - 170
              Pirog - 170
              Quillin - 170
              Macklin - 172
              Monroe - 172
              Miranda - 173
              Korobov - 173, 174

As you can see Golovkin isn't a small MW at all, so can we stop the nonsense.

All weights taken from this very helpful site.

http://basementgymboxing.blogspot.co...s-list-of.html
              http://basementgymboxing.blogspot.co...ration_22.html
              I would add wade 174, lemieux 175, and murray I believe also 175. But yes you are right, he is average.

Comment

He's only a small mw when they talk about him moving up.... or like now when hes fighting brook smh

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  martinez was a small middleweight. 158 and change in his last fight, and he could hardly spar or run to lose weight.

153.25 in his last fight at 154 against cintron. was 157 and change more than once while he was a champion. was a welterweight for close to 5 years to start off his career, and a JMW for 5+ years after that.

i've seen martinez in person with clothes, and i've seen him fight live. he's a small middleweight. not a baby sized one, but you need to be a small fighter for hte weight to get several lbs below the division limit, and he could.
                  I've seen Martinez in person aswell.

Just don't see how a guy can be small for a weight when they consistently come to the ring 10 lbs above the weight limit.

Comment

I've seen Martinez in person aswell.

Just don't see how a guy can be small for a weight when they consistently come to the ring 10 lbs above the weight limit.

fighters can walk onto "unofficial" scales with their clothes and shoes on. easily 5 lbs if you're wearing boots, jeans, your wallet, etc. they're also being weighed by the networks typically. only one of the sanctioning bodies [IIRC,] and specific contracts that stipulate it, call for a same day weigh in to be "official" like a rehydration clause. then they strip down and use a legit scale that's been calibrated. otherwise it's just for Tv, and according to the fighters they're often on crap scales and often wearing clothes.

if the guy is cutting that much water weight and rehydrating 10 full lbs he's not going to drop several lbs below the limit. he might be a half pound under to be safe, but martinez was 2-3 lbs below the limit regularly, something most middleweights won't do comfortably, or can't do at all.

Comment

Bump for the fanboys still posting this crap.

Comment

Working...
                      X