Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is it too late to start boxing seriously?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smash ko View Post
    who started in the 20s and was susccsuefull as a pro tell me when ur 20 it takes time u get into extreame fitness perfect all the boxing skills then go all through amtuear and the time between fights you wont wana box all the time dont say u do motvation will go and when ur through all that if u spend 24/7 and ur right for the sport ud be 26 at minimium then ure looking at going downhill so if u wna be good amtuear go for it pro forgot it

antino tarver went pro at the age of 27

george formen was succesful when he was in his 40's and came back

Comment

Theyre completely different styles. I do Karate(Kyokushin) and IMO the only thing that you can take across successfully is the ability to take a hit without caring that much and good striking technique(especially hits to the ribs and liver). Pretty much due to the blocking techniques you learn are made for avoiding kicks aswell, you'll find it hard to shake off a few instincts that you've developed(I know i did when I tried). Also you're likely to have decent stamina aswell so that will help you!

The rest I think you'll be learning almost from scratch. Without doubt you will pick it up quicker than any other starters, because of your karate background.

Comment

Ron Lyle turned pro at 29

Comment

yes but these had try protenseshal george foreman was a street fight for 10odd years as a child and was amazing

Comment

Originally posted by detluv View Post
            antino tarver went pro at the age of 27

george formen was succesful when he was in his 40's and came back
            yeah but tarver had been boxing since age 8, he just had a freaking long amateur career

and foreman started in his teens and won the heavyweight title in the 70's before retiring for a while and coming back

so those guys arent great examples

Comment

If you are only boxing for the fame and glory you will always be too old to start. If you are boxing because you love boxing then just get out there and do it no matter what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by T.I.P. View Post
                Who ya trying to convince? Karate won't help you at all in boxing. Hand speed can not be taught. Footwork barely you have to move ya feet to punch with power. None of that will help you it would probably give you bad habits meaning it takes more time for you to adapt.
                Handspeed can not be taught? who are you trying to convince? Do you think RJJ was born with the handspeed he once possessed? No of course he didn't, like any physical attribute it can be trained and is only limited by your training, technique and genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by Salty View Post
                  Handspeed can not be taught? who are you trying to convince? Do you think RJJ was born with the handspeed he once possessed? No of course he didn't, like any physical attribute it can be trained and is only limited by your training, technique and genetics.
                  thank you. that was long overdue to be said.

Comment

theres successful amatuers that star5t at 24 ... 18 isnt too old at all thats a decent age you can box for 6 or 7 years and turn pro 24 or 25

Comment

the way I see it is, children take training and discipline less seriously than a seriously motivated 18-25 yr old who really wants to become a boxer. I believe the later you start, the better chance you have of becoming a decent boxer. (inless you're still lazy and unmotivated)

like I said to the other guy, nate cambell started at 28 yrs old (amateur) so did tony thompson.

Comment

Working...
                      X