No announcement yet.

Alex Arthur

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Arthur

I have to say i was really impressed with Alex Arthur win over Eric Odumase.

I really didnt like Arthurs massive ego, he was far too cocky for a young untested pro, seeing Micheal Gomez beat him up was a joy to watch.

Now it seems Jim McDonnell has toned that ego down so its just confidence, got him in great shape and improved his technique. He reminded me of Cotto without the combo's, his defence is tidy, he lands effective shots and has power.

I know its a little early to too impressed, i know Eric Odumase was only a 14-3-1 fighter but he didnt come to lose and had some talent. Alex Arthur has a foundation to work on.

Who would have thought Jim McDonnell could do a better job than Freddy Roach.

I have to agree with you. He was far too cocky in the Gomez fight, but he seems to have improved that along with his defence.

I just hope the Gomez rematch happens soon, but it seemed to me that Frank Warren was not expecting it to happen any time that soon.

Comment

Originally posted by stu
      I have to agree with you. He was far too cocky in the Gomez fight, but he seems to have improved that along with his defence.

I just hope the Gomez rematch happens soon, but it seemed to me that Frank Warren was not expecting it to happen any time that soon.
      I think Warren should give Gomez the test he wants first, if he fails when he steps up Warren can always make Gomez vs Arthur 2. I think Arthur needs a couple of fight before the rematch anyway.

I picked Gomez to beat Arthur in the first fight, i dont know why but i knew Gomez would beat him! But i'm not so sure this time, i have a feeling its Arthur who will win.

Comment

I also would go for Arthur next time. Just looking at Gomez it looks like the fights he has been in, both in and out of the ring, are starting to catch up on him.

Comment

Originally posted by stu
          I also would go for Arthur next time. Just looking at Gomez it looks like the fights he has been in, both in and out of the ring, are starting to catch up on him.
          He doesnt take a shot very well anymore, even when he was beating on Arthur he got hurt.

His last fight was terrible, he was made to look bad by a journeyman. But Warren promised him a big fight so i hope he gets one.

Comment

Originally posted by elveiel
            Who would have thought Jim McDonnell could do a better job than Freddy Roach.
            Remember I said to you a while back about McDonnell? he's good even if you can't understand what he's on about sometimes

Comment

ALRIGHT CHAPS! back after a weeks break!
              Barry good work on your articles mate good stuff at the BBN! you have been busy!

Thought Arthur looked good but Odumase is no great barometer in my view.
              Jim mcdonnell is the best british up and coming trainer and its well known he is the fittest. Bar none.

Gomez should got for a crack at one of the big names, get beat and he is still marketable against Alex. The problem for Arthur will be when he faces gomez, a man who bashed him up, its how he deals with it psychologically.

I dont think its fair to compare Arthur vvs Gomez in terms of getting hit.
              Arthur is a boxer primarily, Gomez an animilistic brawler, its obvious who is going to get hit more often due to the styles.

As with a lot of the SN fighters, its time these boys had their career defining fights now, before they get cold cocked against a lesser opponent, the signs are there, Gomez in his last fight, Cazagher also, Hatotn against vilches, all looked below par, under motivated and not up for it.

Time for the big fights to come into fruition.

Comment

Thanks man, it's been a busy month up here, that's 3 big fights one after the other so plenty to write about
                I think the Gomez/Arthur rematch has been made that bit more interesting by the look of Arthur at the weekend, his defence was vastly improved compared to the Gomez fight and even though Odumase was probably past his best, it was still evident that there was big improvements there and I do like Jim McDonnel as a trainer, works the mind as well as the body and has seen it all so Arthur's doing everything right for now, that will be a big test if it ever happens, the rematch because Gomez has a way of intimidating his opponents and after the way he was ko'd those tactics might bring out some old demons.

Comment

Originally posted by barryboy
                  Remember I said to you a while back about McDonnell? he's good even if you can't understand what he's on about sometimes
                  I always knew Jimmy could condition fighters.

I spoke with his old coach Ken Miller a couple of times, he was very keen on conditioning and its shows with his star pupil Jim Mcdonnel.

Give him credit because its style aswell as conditioning with Arthur now.

Comment

makes you wonder if Jim has Danny for a whle six week training camp what he might tirn williams into? I smell an upset.

Comment

Working...
                    X