No announcement yet.

Thomas Hearns would beat any welterweight in history in a 12 round fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thephantom5 View Post
    You change the situation up and make that a 12 round fight everything changes.

Tactics change

I believe SRL still beats him in twelve.
    Exactly, I've seen that argument before. Dundee would've given him the "You're blowin' it kid" quote in the 9th or 10th and when a great fighter senses urgency...

I like SRR's chances too, there's not too many I would pick over him in a H2H matchup at welterweight though. I almost rule out a decision and to get a knockout you would have to wear Hearns down first.

There's 3 things that you have to have though to beat Hearns at 147: a great chin, solid defense, good power, fast feet, and be able to come forward and turn the heat up.

Comment

I think could is more in order than would...

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
        I think could is more in order than would...
        I agree. Considering that he already lost to one, that would make more sense.

Comment

I would love to see Hearns against Sergio Martinez.

Comment

Hearns could beat SRR. Tough fight but I still think he would beat him at 147. This isn't a small ww we are talking about. Hearns was a big ww just like SRR was, so normally what's SRRs advantage is gone. I think he could beat him, specially with his significantly longer reach.

Comment

Originally posted by El C@cique@PR View Post
              Tito Knocks him the fux out. He is too chinny to handle Titos Power.

Im sorry but this thread is ridiculous. Floyd Mayweather may out box the sht out of him too.

and in no way shape or form is Tommy Hearns the best offensive fighter ever!!!
              seriously?? I think SRL would be interesting and don't know much about SRR

Comment

Hearns was steadily outboxing Leonard in almost all the rounds. If Leonard could have magically turned on the gas any time he wanted, then he would have done it way earlier when he was getting outboxed. especially after Leonard hurt Hearns in the mid rounds. its easily said than done to just 'go after' someone, especially when that someone is as dangerous as Thomas Hearns.

Let me remind yall that Hearns is someone that couldnt be outboxed by prime Benitez and even a light heavyweight Virgil Hill.
                McCallum would break Hearns down and stop him and Julian Jackson would K.O Hearns if he landed, that fight would be a complete 50-50 fight, first one to land wins.
                Jackson is awesome and certainly has a big chance to win with his kind of explosive power...but I simply feel Hearns would land first, and it would almost be over after that. Although to be fair Jackson was more dangerous when he was hurt than Hearns was, and that could play a pretty big part in the fight.

When I say Hearns would beat any welterweight in history, Im not saying he would go undefeated against all of them without a doubt(I mean, boxing is unpredictable, and Hearns isnt the most durable guy). but for example, I think out of 10 fights between Leonard and Hearns in a 12 round fight, Hearns would likely win about 7 or 8 out of those 10.

people underestimate how unbelievable a lot of his wins and performances are.

Comment

In a lot of ways, Hearns was similar to Roy Jones. He was an incredible athlete. Had natural power and all the tools to be the greatest. The problem for both was chin and stamina. Roy's stamina initially was excellent, but as he aged, the last rounds became less hitting and more posing.

Comment

I see Robinson leaving Hearns on the canvas late in the fight. sick bodywork early, hard shots to the head starting around round 4... boom... down goes Hearns.

It's unclear what Leonard-Hearns in a 12 rounds fight, while still in their primes would be like.

Some big tough welters who could brawl in a schooled way, would provide problems to Hearns. Basilio comes to mind.

Burley was a welter at some point, and if he could share the ring with Moore and Charles, I am sure he could share it with Hearns.

Out of curiosity, I would like to see Zivic-Hearns. Hearns had all the tools to win this, but Hearns was not a smart fighter, and after 2 rounds of Zivic's niceties, he would probably forget about boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by qwerty07 View Post
                      Who did Hearns beat at WW that's better than the top 10 WW today???

Pipino Cuevas was a better welterweight than most of the top 10 today. I can tell you that. And he would have been a dangerous opponent for any of the top 3.

Comment

Working...
                      X