Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If a white man that is born in Africa and moves to the US, does that make him a......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Weebler I View Post
    Irish-American? Italian-American? Polish-American?

Imo one of the differences with black Americans is that most of them don't know their mother country e.g. they could have been Namibian-American or Malian-American, so they're grouped by continent as opposed to individual nation.
    yes we have been robbed of our history and culture.

However what is stopping America from just calling us American citizens, instead of African-Americans?

Blacks in Ireland are called Irish are they not? In the UK, I doubt they are called African British people.

It's pretty obvious why we are called what we are called here in America.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Khalid View Post
      I'm glad you pointed that out.

If you do research on the history of when those groups (Italians and Irish) first came to America.....they weren't considered white and were discriminated against heavily.

When they were accepted as white...then that's when the discrimination stopped.

So a white from African will automatically be identified with the dominate group and be labeled as a America.

FWIW....It's not me who is saying this. I'm simple pointing to America's history and how they classify people.

How the hell were the Irish not considered white? They're one of the whitest groups of people in the world. Everybody is discriminated against in the US (including white people in black and Mexican neighborhoods)

Comment

Originally posted by E.P.T. View Post
        How the hell were the Irish not considered white? They're one of the whitest group of people in the world. Everybody is discriminated against (including white people in black and Mexican neighborhoods)
        He's a segregationist and a racist. He doesn't think racism can happen to white people today. He'll probably justify it as payback for what some southern guy did 200 years ago.

Comment

However what is stopping America from just calling us American citizens, instead of African-Americans?

Blacks in Ireland are called Irish are they not? In the UK, I doubt they are called African British people.

Take it up with Obama.

Comment

I get the impression the term African-American is a modern "politically correct" term to avoid using the term 'black', i.e. directly referencing colour (urbandictonary backs me up on this http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rican-american ).

But how else could you refer to "black communities" without actually mentioning the colour?

I kind of get what you're saying above, there is no reference to African when it comes to black people in the UK or Ireland, although curiously enough "British-Pakistani" is one you hear from time to time for some reason, you never really hear "British-Indian" or anything else.

Comment

My grandson was born in a London hospital 7 weeks ago. His birth certificate notes that he is a "white Brit". I'm serious, couldn't believe it when I saw the document.

Comment

Im not sure why calling someone "black" is taboo in "Murica

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  Im not sure why calling someone "black" is taboo in "Murica
                  I'm black and I have no issues with being called that(nor does any black person I know).

Comment

here

Comment

Originally posted by Godsent View Post
                      maybe because white people built this country

read a mother ****ing book.

Comment

Working...
                      X