No announcement yet.

Joe Calzaghe vs Steve Collins 1997?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Calzaghe vs Steve Collins 1997?

In 1997 Collins was the WBO super middleweight champion beating Eubank for the title and winningthe rematch. He also put the end of the career of a shot Nigel Benn. Calzaghe was undefeated and had beaten good fighters but no one in the league of Collins. The fight was arranged but Collins retired and then Calzaghe beat eubank and the rest is history. But how ould of the Collins v Calzaghe go. I have Calzaghe winning on a UD but would of been a great fight. Who have you got winning?

In 1997 I favour Calzaghe, he looked excellent against Eubank.....at short notice too.

Collins was clearly having motivation issues, there were reports that he collapsed when sparring (was it Adrian Dodson??). I'm glad Collins retired with his health and is well and sharp in retirement.

Collin's prime for me was in 1995 for the Eubank return, he was clumsy, his defense was terrible, he had no finesse that night but his stamina, conditioning, chin, focus and workrate were absolutely shocking! This Collins may well have been too fit for 1997 Calzaghe (who finished the Eubank fight absolutely exhausted.....and nearly out!).

Come to think of it this Collins may have even given Roy Jones Jnr a good argument too.

Comment

I've never been overly impressed with Collins, I thought he caught Eubank and Benn at the right place and the right time. I think Calzaghe would've beaten him clearly on points.

Comment

A 25 years old Calzaghe against a brain damaged Collins ?
        What about prime for prime ?

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
          A 25 years old Calzaghe against a brain damaged Collins ?
          What about prime for prime ?
          Collins was never brain damaged

Comment

Working...
          X