Winning a legitimate world title is harder than to keep it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MeiXiang View Post
    "Winning a legitimate world title is harder than to keep it"

Critically analyse the above statement. On the one hand you can argue that it's difficult to get yourself in the position to fight for a legitimate world title but on the other hand you may argue that vacant titles make it easier to gain before fighting the guys who are really the top few in each and every division.

I've just started to think about this question since the Bellew fight where he kept saying that his experience of winning a World Title will be the difference in fighting Haye where he thinks he'll win. However I started to question this because surely he hasn't even fought the main guys despite winning the title outright. Every boxer dreams of being a World Champion but is it safe to assume that once one belt is won, they lack the desire to fight better opposition in fear of losing it?
    Being the champion you fight better competition and your opponents fight you harder .

Haye obviously has the edge its not about a champion its whos fought more in the weight class . Haye fought Wlad Klitchko is enough experience in itself , Bellew could be a world beater at his cruiser weight division , Haye was also there long before he was and is now a legit HW and knows the HW game, Bellew does not .

Comment

I'm curious, how many legit champions are there?

I'd say winner of AJ/Wlad at heavy

Kovalev and Stevenson at light heavy

GGG at middle

TC at 140 (although he either needs to move up or fight a better fighter than the molina types for him to have that recognition in my books)

Linares at 135

erm...maybe a couple others elsewhere?

Thats 6, maybe 7 names max out of a possible 17 weight divisions, each with anywhere between 4-6 world "champions". That's quite sad.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        I'm curious, how many legit champions are there?

I'd say winner of AJ/Wlad at heavy

Kovalev and Stevenson at light heavy

GGG at middle

TC at 140 (although he either needs to move up or fight a better fighter than the molina types for him to have that recognition in my books)

Linares at 135

erm...maybe a couple others elsewhere?

Thats 6, maybe 7 names max out of a possible 17 weight divisions, each with anywhere between 4-6 world "champions". That's quite sad.
        Gonzales ,Usyk and Lara are legit ,Lara after Canelo moved up

Comment

I don't know, you're talking about winning a legitimate title vs defending a legitimate title, which could potentially be a comparison of 1fight vs 3, 5, 8, etc.

It's all situational, which is why in my opinion, not all vacant titles equal a paper champion.

Comment

In the good old days champions almost always defended their titles against real top 10 contenders. Today champions like Wilder defend their titles against unknown guys who boxrec ranks between 20th and 50th. So until the organization you are champion of orders you to fight somebody good it's usually harder to win a world title than to keep that title if you are a cherry picker. If you are a good champion who fights the best available challengers then it's often harder to keep the title than to win it. An example of a good champion is Thurman. He just barely beat top contender Porter. Now in his very next fight he puts his title at serious risk again by fighting the very dangerous champion Garcia. So my answer to your question is it all depends on circumstances and the kind of champion a boxer is.

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
              Its not like WBC or WBA belts wasnt held by weak Champs
              but at various points throughout history, a case could be made that the WBC belt or WBA belt was the #1 belt in all of boxing.

at not point, ever, could anyone legitimately argue that the world boxing organization was the most prestigious and respected belt in all of boxing.

so how could it be the championship of the world when at all times throughout its existence, the world has recognized other belts as being more prominent?

Comment

beating a legit champ for a title makes you a real title holder, not fighting for some vacant title or being handed a title. Titles are all about who you beat for them and or defend them against

Comment

Gonzales ,Usyk and Lara are legit ,Lara after Canelo moved up
                  Gonzalez .... maybe, he needs o beat Cuadras in a rematch. Those guys are joint kings of their division.

Lara noway man thats a joke.

Usyk needs to unify.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    Gonzalez .... maybe, he needs o beat Cuadras in a rematch. Those guys are joint kings of their division.

Lara noway man thats a joke.

Usyk needs to unify.
                    No one is more legit then Lara in 154 doe

Comment

No one is more legit then Lara in 154 doe
                      LOL in what way?

Comment

Working...
                      X