No announcement yet.

Let's Talk Strategy Part 3: Frampton vs. Santa Cruz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Strategy Part 3: Frampton vs. Santa Cruz

Nobody is talking about this fight which is coming up this Saturday.

What stands out to me in this fight is the size differential. Santa Cruz will have a 2 inch height and 7 inch reach advantage over Frampton. Frampton is moving straight up to 126 with no interim fights in between so he's really an unproven featherweight.

Santa Cruz' size and length gave Mares fits. And although LSC is known to be a high volume fighter with an insane output, against Mares he showed he has the ability to box, utilize his jab, control distance and make his reach advantage count.

The difference here is Frampton is more of a mid-range fighter and a way better counter puncher than Mares. And he's got a pretty nice mid-range game (catch and shoot, slip counter, strong jab, good head movement, etc.). The key for him in this fight will be to utilize a little more lateral movement, keep that jab in his face, get him to over extend himself and time him. If he does those things at a minimum we won't see the typical 1,000 plus punches thrown by Santa Cruz and Frampton should have a field day.

Thoughts on this fight?

I'm picking LSC to win but it's mainly down to the pretty obvious height difference between the two. Having said that, skill wise, I believe Frampton is superior and he has better reflexes and hand speed. LSC however has much better stamina and throws more punches.

The key here is for Frampton to time LSC, get in and out of range without getting tagged too often and to hurt LSC...and I really mean hurt him. If he cant, LSC will keep throwing and simply win on volume.

Comment

Can't wait for this fight

2 of the best undefeated fighters in their prime

While I think Frampton is a excellent technician I don't know or think he can overcome Leo's height/size and workrate for 12

if Frampton can use his foot work to get in get out move to the side I can see him getting the W

Comment

I think Santa Cruz's jab makes the difference and allows him to keep his usual activity. Not that he has a great jab, but his commitment combined with his length will keep Frampton off guard all night. He is a big, active fighter with solid skills and I don't think Frampton's good enough to overcome that.

Comment

Didn't realise it was this weekend.

I'm going to lean on Framton. I think he'll outbox him in a close back and forth fight.

Frampton seems to struggle under pressure and Santa Cruz will certainly bring pressure.

I'm expecting a Thurman-Porter esque fight.

Comment

LSC and strategy in the same sentence?

Comment

Santa cruz will walk Frampton down. That's what I hope for I'll bet all my points on Leo. Either way even if he loses the fans win great fight

Comment

theres been no promo for it that ive seen anyway

frampton 2 to 1 underdog, ima put a cheeky bet on him at those odds

maybe hedge with leo by decision at 13/8

with regards to strategy, will look at some snippets of some fights and get back to ya

Comment

I think the key for Santa Cruz to win is bodyshots, in the 2nd Kiko fight he started to get to Frampton at times towards the end but it was too little too late and Frampton was already way ahead, I have a feeling something like that will happen in this fight but more competitive.

I'm picking Frampton on points, the volume will be difficult to cope with but I think he will land the better shots and rack up the early to mid rounds.

Comment

Didn't even realize it was around the corner. This is a good ****ing fight. And I really haven't given it any thought, but...I guess I'd favor Santa Cruz, only because I'm not sure Frampton has the gas tank to stay disciplined for 12 rounds. And I'm aware that's an unpredictable factor to rely on, but I do feel Santa Cruz is going to come on strong and ultimately take the latter portion of the fight. Should be good though.

Comment

Working...
                    X