Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG Vs Canelo: How Badly Has This Been Promoted?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These cats are both chill dudes. Its hard to promote chill dudes. You want the crazy mfer to be the A side ideally, but at least the B side. Or you want a battle of nationalities with history like PR vs MEX. This is Mex vs Kaz. There isn't exactly a rich history there.

So outside of showing hype programs online + on ESPN idk what else Oscar & Tom could do here really.

Comment

Originally posted by nveleven View Post
      For all of Arum's faults, he always spoke the truth about Oscar.
      In fairness to Oscar if Bob was on either side of this fight he'd still be talking about the other guy wanting "tens of millions of dollars" & other random lies preventing the fight from happening.

Comment

It's a great fight that pretty much promotes it's self. I am really glad it's happening. If Oscar didn't promoted it as well as he should have that will cost him money. He is filthy rich already so he will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaspa9t9 View Post
          I'll tell you What, there's definitely hype for this fight in the UK even amongst casuals, and that's very rare for two non british fighters fighting oversees. Several people who I know don't really follow box ing are actually going to be tuning in for this at 4am.
          It's been the opposite for me. The only people I've seen who are aware the fight exists are all boxing fans in varying degrees, most nit even sure they'll watch it live due to the time.

Comment

Hard to promote when neither fighter speaks english

Comment

Oscar did a terrible job promoting this fight. Hardcore boxing fans are out of touch with casuals. That's a fact. Some people were even predicting this fight was going to do over two million buys lmao. How? In what universe?

Crawford vs Postol and Floyd vs McGregor should have been lessons to boxing promoters. "The best fighting the best" doesn't sell itself, not anymore. Casuals want drama, they want conflict, they want two guys **** talking each other and behaving like juveniles. They don't give a **** if Canelo is the lineal champion and GGG is undefeated. Most casuals don't even know what Duran and Hearns look like or who they are. Why the **** is Oscar using those old timers to sell this fight? Jesus Christ he ****ing sucks at his job.

The smart thing to do would have been for Oscar to ride the momentum Showtime created, instead he tried to present his fight as a foil to MayMac for "real boxing fans". And we're already seeing what a huge misstep that was. Real boxing fans don't buy fights. Ward vs Kov flopped. Crawford vs Postol flopped as well. I hate to say, but I don't see much buzz for Canelo vs GGG. And at $80 a pop this fight is starting to look like it might flop as well.

Comment

dont know about the US but in the UK theres a decent amount of hype for it which is pretty much unheard of in an international fight. had people who dont follow the sport at all asking me whos going to win, saying its gonna be a great fight etc. Dont really know what more u want them to do in terms of promotion, could do the whole pantomime show of mayweather/mcgregor but i'd rather this be a showcase for all the good in the sport, two warriors being respectable and humble outside the ring but looking to take each others heads off in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd is TBE View Post
                  Oscar did a terrible job promoting this fight. Hardcore boxing fans are out of touch with casuals. That's a fact. Some people were even predicting this fight was going to do over two million buys lmao. How? In what universe?

Crawford vs Postol and Floyd vs McGregor should have been lessons to boxing promoters. "The best fighting the best" doesn't sell itself, not anymore. Casuals want drama, they want conflict, they want two guys **** talking each other and behaving like juveniles. They don't give a **** if Canelo is the lineal champion and GGG is undefeated. Most casuals don't even know what Duran and Hearns look like or who they are. Why the **** is Oscar using those old timers to sell this fight? Jesus Christ he ****ing sucks at his job.

The smart thing to do would have been for Oscar to ride the momentum Showtime created, instead he tried to present his fight as a foil to MayMac for "real boxing fans". And we're already seeing what a huge misstep that was. Real boxing fans don't buy fights. Ward vs Kov flopped. Crawford vs Postol flopped as well. I hate to say, but I don't see much buzz for Canelo vs GGG. And at $80 a pop this fight is starting to look like it might flop as well.
                  who cares man lol. why are you all so worried about ppv figures etc, just enjoy the fight yourself.

Comment

... there was a 9,800 attendance at the weigh in...

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyMayFan View Post
                      Hard to promote when neither fighter speaks english
                      ... more than obvious...................

Comment

Working...
                      X