No announcement yet.

Is shoe-shining an effective offense?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is shoe-shining an effective offense?

Yes or no? Please explain your answer. Thanks!

Yes it is in the right scenario (I know that's vague)

In my opinion, you back them up, into the corner if poss but onto ropes to minimise their movement options. You throw the shoe shine fast hitting the body/chest with the intention of them dropping their guard to hit with a hook. Shoe shine is all about speed so it's not designed to KO your opponent.

It's better used as defence to get you back into long range in my opinion. Shoe shine fast, approx 5 or 6, straight after the last uppercut straight left, straight right (this must be seemless and the straights need to be really fast) as you throw the straights, move feet back a few inches, after the second straight lands and you've shuffled your feet you should be back at perfect distance for nice long range punches. Hopefully I've explained this well enough.

Remember the shoe shine is to keep your opponent busy and setup other punches, not to KO

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
      Yes it is in the right scenario (I know that's vague)

In my opinion, you back them up, into the corner if poss but onto ropes to minimise their movement options. You throw the shoe shine fast hitting the body/chest with the intention of them dropping their guard to hit with a hook. Shoe shine is all about speed so it's not designed to KO your opponent.

It's better used as defence to get you back into long range in my opinion. Shoe shine fast, approx 5 or 6, straight after the last uppercut straight left, straight right (this must be seemless and the straights need to be really fast) as you throw the straights, move feet back a few inches, after the second straight lands and you've shuffled your feet you should be back at perfect distance for nice long range punches. Hopefully I've explained this well enough.

Remember the shoe shine is to keep your opponent busy and setup other punches, not to KO
      Thanks for the reply Richard. The reason i asked this question is because my 13yo son was sparring a big 16yo, my sons hand/footspeed was obvious but the size of his sparring partner was also telling. I usually google old fights for some pointers and Leonard shined the hell out of Hagler at times & every point u made makes sense! I think if i have my son turn this guy more and throw in a shine in here and there, our outcome will be a lot better. We didnt do bad but it took my son a lil while to realize his physical ability over a bigger guy.

Comment

You need him to shoeshine fast roughly 6 in a second and half or 2 secs.

Remember it keeps your opponent busy, unless you are an elite fighter when punches are coming in it occupies the mind and nearly always stops you throwing back. if you are slow in throwing they will throw back usually after the 3rd or 4th, then your shoe shine is null and void. The small shuffle of the feet on the straights at the end is essential, if done correctly after your final second straight, you should be out of the pressure zone back to jabbing range ready to build a new attack or in a good position to find space

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
          Thanks for the reply Richard. The reason i asked this question is because my 13yo son was sparring a big 16yo, my sons hand/footspeed was obvious but the size of his sparring partner was also telling. I usually google old fights for some pointers and Leonard shined the hell out of Hagler at times & every point u made makes sense! I think if i have my son turn this guy more and throw in a shine in here and there, our outcome will be a lot better. We didnt do bad but it took my son a lil while to realize his physical ability over a bigger guy.
          Using angles and throwing lots of combinations (4+ punches) will help. I used to spar with a little guy who did that almost constantly and he gave me a lot of trouble until I started timing him and landing my 1-2's.

Comment

I heard stories that the term shoeshine came about back in the 1800's when the slaves used to shine the masters shoes as a way of defence...if they did a good shoe shine...they avoided a beating from their masters. Im not sure of the truth of this...but if it is so...i would find it culturally insensitive to use such a thing.

Comment

Are you talking about good hand job methods I dont understand?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                Using angles and throwing lots of combinations (4+ punches) will help. I used to spar with a little guy who did that almost constantly and he gave me a lot of trouble until I started timing him and landing my 1-2's.
                Thanks for the reply. ^This is what I wanted to hear^ Im going to work on his flurries inside and stepping out towards his right more.

Comment

Working...
                X