No announcement yet.

Wrist Injury From left Hooks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"thumb down?........................?

I believe your stating that your thumb will FACE you as in pronate?
    The thumb up technique is used when you can't throw the technique properly or if your punching wide from a distance ala Joe Frazier.
    The right way to hook has been discussed since the beginning of time but that fact remains the pronate technique is harder to master so the thumb "up" is widely used too.

As to injuries;
    An existing internal problem in the hand'wrist.
    Improper wrapping.
    Glove problem
    Techniques
    To much extension of the arm prior to contact.

Not much to investigate beyond those possibilities.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post

As to injuries;
      An existing internal problem in the hand'wrist.
      Improper wrapping.
      Glove problem
      Techniques
      To much extension of the arm prior to contact.

Not much to investigate beyond those possibilities.

Ray
      ^^^^^ Ray does it again.

Comment

Yes Ray, I meant thumb facing me. I am going to throw thumb up again but throw towards the middle of the bag vice the side of the bag without so much extension. Do you think that would help me not to re injure? I wrap well and did not have an existing injury and my gloves are in good condition (16oz). For now though I am just throwing light hooks and will continue with that for the next 3 months then rest 6 months completely.

Comment

When your working on power is the bag held still or is it swinging?
          I see video's here all the time with people trying to land power on a swinging bag and they don't have any knowledge on how to position themselves to get their balance and techniques off!
          A swinging heavy bag is to first "position" yourself to land with power. The best way to train for power is to have the bag held because you can easily position yourself.
          Boxing a swinging bag is fine and as long as you get proper positioning you limit injury but I never taught my fighters to use the swinging bag to gain power. I see guys here punching the bag as it moved into them, the bag is swinging/spinning all over the place (injury coming)
          Remember your technique and speed often equals power so if your resting the wrist thats ok, you can gain technique with light work and up grade your speed as you work technique.

If you could make a video of your wraps being applied I could suggest a few wrap techniques.

Ray

Comment

I did it on a 150 lb taller bag which can also be used to kick. It really wasn't moving that much. I now use the shorter bags that do move a lot but I am very careful with my hooks and throw them very light. I will have to show you my wrapping via sepcor as I need to find someone to video me.

Comment

Originally posted by scbb View Post
              I did it on a 150 lb taller bag which can also be used to kick. It really wasn't moving that much. I now use the shorter bags that do move a lot but I am very careful with my hooks and throw them very light. I will have to show you my wrapping via sepcor as I need to find someone to video me.
              Looking forward to the footage.

Comment

Working...
              X