Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters whose careers would've been VERY different IF...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters whose careers would've been VERY different IF...

For me: Andre Ward

IF he had been the one to fight and beat the undefeated Lucian Bute he would've become a mainstream PPV star

The fight was talked about right around the height of his fame after winning the Super Six and then beating LHW champ Bad Chad Dawson (at SMW). Nonetheless it was a STOPPAGE win and Andre Ward was looking really fuckin good

Instead of saying "Bute has to fight some of these guys before he gets me" (which is what he did) and actually fighting Bute...he would be remembered far, far differently

Please do not use hypothetical that involve drug use. For example, if Manny tested positive.

What are some examples of fighters whose careers would've been VERY different if one fight DID or DIDN'T happen??

Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
    For me: Andre Ward

IF he had been the one to fight and beat the undefeated Lucian Bute he would've become a mainstream PPV star

The fight was talked about right around the height of his fame after winning the Super Six and then beating LHW champ Bad Chad Dawson (at SMW). Nonetheless it was a STOPPAGE win and Andre Ward was looking really fuckin good

Instead of saying "Bute has to fight some of these guys before he gets me" (which is what he did) and actually fighting Bute...he would be remembered far, far differently

Please do not use hypothetical that involve drug use. For example, if Manny tested positive.

What are some examples of fighters whose careers would've been VERY different if one fight DID or DIDN'T happen??
    The Ward push fell apart because Kelly Pavlik ended up getting hurt, with Andre then getting hurt his own self, which stalled out the momentum.

No one outside of Montreal was really checking for Lucian Bute like that.

Ward beats Dawson in Oakland, beats Kelly Pavlik (a name fighter) in Oakland, an then beats Edwin Rodriguez in Oakland, we'd likely be talking about Andre Ward fighting in a near full building (Oracle likely seats 20k when packed in for boxing), basically a name opponent away from a move to PPV.

Carl Froch fought Bute at a 10k-seater on Sky, made his first defense in the same building and on Sky, fought the Kessler grudge match on Sky Box Office, fought Groves on regular Sky again, and then fought the rematch on Sky Box Office.

You're giving Bute too much credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      The Ward push fell apart because Kelly Pavlik ended up getting hurt, with Andre then getting hurt his own self, which stalled out the momentum.

No one outside of Montreal was really checking for Lucian Bute like that.

Ward beats Dawson in Oakland, beats Kelly Pavlik (a name fighter) in Oakland, an then beats Edwin Rodriguez in Oakland, we'd likely be talking about Andre Ward fighting in a near full building (Oracle likely seats 20k when packed in for boxing), basically a name opponent away from a move to PPV.

Carl Froch fought Bute at a 10k-seater on Sky, made his first defense in the same building and on Sky, fought the Kessler grudge match on Sky Box Office, fought Groves on regular Sky again, and then fought the rematch on Sky Box Office.

You're giving Bute too much credit.
      Bute had a lot of steam surrounding him going into the Froch fight because BUTE was the "backyard fighter" and BUTE was the one traveling over sees. Yes, most of that steam was coming from Montreal, but it was a big push.

Had Ward been the guy to beat Bute in that fashion...major statement.

And I'm not talking ish. He would've been PPV material honestly

Comment

If Fernando Vargas never met Tito.

Comment

Lol, Bute?? I never understood why anyone valued that guy in any way.

Anyhow, if Pac got Mayweather in the ring back around 08 or whatever, I think he would have beat him. Only then though.

Comment

If Castillo would have gotten the decision vs Floyd, would he make the hall of fame?

Comment

Originally posted by jri9d0 View Post
              If Fernando Vargas never met Tito.
              Lmfao. Great 1

Comment

If Brian Sutherland had never fought, he would definitely be remembered differently.

Comment

Bute lost before Dawson fight, I would say if Ward fought Dawson at 175 he would have been more respected and probably be a bigger star

I would say the same had he fought abroad during the super six

Comment

If SSR lose to RG on first match ,
                    He wont get a rematch,
                    RG probably turn to Estrada and Inoue.
                    SSR have to wait again until he old, and probably lose again,
                    World probably less appreciate little guy than now

Comment

Working...
                    X