No announcement yet.

ATG Fighters, Who Disliked Training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATG Fighters, Who Disliked Training?

Name some ATG fighters, who disliked training?

Butterbean...
    Jokes

Ali disliked his training he was known for saying:
    “I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit, suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''

Nicolino Locche if I'm not mistaken was known for chain smoking and not sticking to his diet for training.

I know he's not an ATG but another one I just thought I should mention is
    Chris Eubank, he was kinda famous in England for hating his training.
    Last edited by NChristo; 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I don't know if he disliked it but they say Ruben Olivares was kind of lazy in his training especially in the later years of his career

Comment

Joey giardello was not a fan of training and said he was fighting that often he didnt really need to train

Comment

James Toney comes to mind. I can see no other reason for his inconsistency, given his extraordinary talent.

Comment

Wilfred Benitez
            Roberto Duran

Comment

Terribly undertrained Tim Witherspoon comes to mind..
              Just before his 1986 fight with Frank Bruno, I went to watch one of his public workouts..
              To say he looked stoned and didn't give a ****, would be an understatement..
              In contrast, Bruno had trained emphatically & looked like a mahogany carving..
              Witherspoon turned up for the fight with a rubber ring around his mid-riff and had already booked a VIP suite to celebrate victory.. He took everything Frank could throw at him, and returned the compliment by KOing Bruno with 3 big over-hand rights in the 11th.. He never made the party, as he had to spend the night in hospital..
              I will always insist, that had Tim been a gym rat, he'd have been a top 5 ATG HW and the greatest fighter ever, to emerge from Philadelphia..
              Last edited by mickey malone; 03-22-2010, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Ditto on James Toney. He's so talented and can do so much even when he's not in great shape it's a shame he never took it as seriously as some others. He possesses ATG skills but his less than 100% work ethic prevented him from attaining ATG status. Another fighter (definitely not an ATG) who hated training quite a bit was Riddick Bowe.

Comment

James Tony
                  Riddick Bowe
                  Ricardo Mayorga would smoke 2 packs/day, I can't imagine he enjoyed his training.
                  Naseem Hamed hated training and if IIRC had trainers walk out on him for his lack of commitment.

Comment

Re-read the thread title, ATG fighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X