No announcement yet.

Howard Davis Junior.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomicsad View Post
    Awhile back I read that Davis was a vegetarian. Any possibility that was why he wasn't very strong, he was a light puncher and didn't take a good punch?
    Eder Jofre was a vegetarian. And he only lost to one fighter in his entire hall of fame career.

Comment

From what I heard, Pryor was hired as a sparring partner for Davis after the Olympics and was fired because he consistently dominated him.

Comment

It is kinda interesting that Gil Clancy recommended that Howard be the house fighter of his network over Ray Leonard siting problem's Ray was having with his hands as an amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          It is kinda interesting that Gil Clancy recommended that Howard be the house fighter of his network over Ray Leonard siting problem's Ray was having with his hands as an amateur.
          Leonard really did have chronic problems with his hands throughout his career. He just turned out to be good enough to overcome it. Ali also had the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            Leonard really did have chronic problems with his hands throughout his career. He just turned out to be good enough to overcome it. Ali also had the same problem.
            so did carmine basilio and angie Dundee would wrap all three of these atg's hand's.

Comment

if I remember correctly howard beat aaron a few times in the amateurs / juniors easily. in some of the sparring sessions he made pryor look awful so aaron tried to make every session a brawl which is not good at all getting ready for a fight. when that happens most fighters leave all the fight in them at the gym and have nothing left fight time. for those of you who don't know. howard didn't even like fighting at all especially if things didn't go his way. still one of the best I ever fought. better than ray, better than hearns, pryor, benetez etc. skill wise.

Comment

what i read back in the day was that pryor beat davis in the oly trials but lost later in the box offs n both fights were very close. just my opinion but at the pro game howard wasnt better than any of them guys but he was freaky fast. all them guys were fast too but davis was faster. remember when he was older n brought in as an opponent but still drew with meldrick n gave camacho a good run

Comment

Originally posted by CHEECH View Post
                  what i read back in the day was that pryor beat davis in the oly trials but lost later in the box offs n both fights were very close. just my opinion but at the pro game howard wasnt better than any of them guys but he was freaky fast. all them guys were fast too but davis was faster. remember when he was older n brought in as an opponent but still drew with meldrick n gave camacho a good run
                  Actually, I think Aaron never beat Howard but he lost two 3-2 decisions that were debatable.That draw was a good accomplishment for Howard, and, personally, if Camacho had caught Howard around '83, possible tighter fight in scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by Rspen46 View Post
                    I agree about Kenty, I don't know who would have won Kenty had a little more power, but who wanted it the most, would have been the winner, due to lack of Heart & desire on both their parts, Kenty would have given anyone a good fight until his will to win it gave out.
                    That was a great point about Kenty, once his will ran out, forget about it.Mancini is another fight I wish could have been made for Howard, looking on it now, Mancini probably would've won, but who knows.

Comment

I also read a similar thing about Hilmer Kenty not really caring that much about the fight game, he did it to earn himself a retirement early in life and then quit, he as davis said did not have a huge desire for it all, also Howard Davis Jr. beat Pryor twice on points to get to the Olympics, in the 2nd one, I believe they gave it to Davis as I saw that one in person, thought pryor won, but Davis better represented things, Pryor was just an idiot, and they did not like him, and that hurt him a close decision.

Comment

Working...
                      X