No announcement yet.

left hand out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• left hand out

i notice that having the left hand stretched out, tapping the opponents gloves and peppering them with jabs is very popular in the amateurs, i use it myself in sparring and that and notice nearly every world class am uses it. i think its a very effective and useful technique. does anyone here use it?

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
    i notice that having the left hand stretched out, tapping the opponents gloves and peppering them with jabs is very popular in the amateurs, i use it myself in sparring and that and notice nearly every world class am uses it. i think its a very effective and useful technique. does anyone here use it?
    Called 'Olympic Stance' iirc. It is illegal in the pro's. And can seen as slapping most refs will stop you from doing it.

Comment

yes it's pretty effective, I even saw one person on here post a vid of his amateur fight and the idiot referee stopping him from using it.

Comment

what? but so many ams use it......kostya tszyu used it to in the pros and ams so i dont think its illegal in the pros

Comment

can someone post an example

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M1Y-sQidIU

tszyu uses it a bit here in his stunning KO of zab judah

Comment

Just leaving it out like an extension isn't illegal if you're using it as a jab or closed fist punch and not pawing/slapping with it. The downside to it in the pros is how open you are to a counter cross over the top of it. Unless you have the reflexes of Roy Jones you're going to be in no position to defend yourself from the overhand cross and likely get touched a few times trying to bring your lead hand back.

In all my years in boxing I've only seen it useful to speedy fighters and it's usefulness is debateable. Kostya was definitely the exception and not the rule when it came to employing that technique. How he managed to use it to the effect he did, who knows. But I must stress how unfundamentaly sound it is and I think it is a terrible way to keep oneself protected.

Comment

Yea it all depends on who ur fighting. We train to slap the hand down when people hold the left jab out like that...so u would pretty much be a sitting duck for a overhand right

Comment

Originally posted by JC Warrior View Post
                  Just leaving it out like an extension isn't illegal if you're using it as a jab or closed fist punch and not pawing/slapping with it. The downside to it in the pros is how open you are to a counter cross over the top of it. Unless you have the reflexes of Roy Jones you're going to be in no position to defend yourself from the overhand cross and likely get touched a few times trying to bring your lead hand back.

In all my years in boxing I've only seen it useful to speedy fighters and it's usefulness is debateable. Kostya was definitely the exception and not the rule when it came to employing that technique. How he managed to use it to the effect he did, who knows. But I must stress how unfundamentaly sound it is and I think it is a terrible way to keep oneself protected.
                  Yes it is, if you leave it out you will get warned for measuring. They are very strict about that. If you keep it out you have to keep it moving so they can't call you for measuring.

If you use it to tap the right hand, you don't have to worry about getting hit with right hands because their right hand has to get past your left which is stuffing their right in order to hit you.

You have to bring your glove from up high though or they will swat it down and counter over with a right hand, but if you bring it from high you are safe.

Comment

Originally posted by King James III View Post
                    Yea it all depends on who ur fighting. We train to slap the hand down when people hold the left jab out like that...so u would pretty much be a sitting duck for a overhand right
                    Be careful when you do that, eventually you will come across a converted southpaw that is setting up a left hook after you pull down down the extended left so make sure the motion is fluid where you don't really pull the arm down but deflect it down in your punching motion.

Comment

Working...
                    X