Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rank any 147 and below fighter over Henry Armstrong?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    Far fewer limitations on boxing excellence though. Boxing wasnt divided into a million tiny slices for a start

For the record i think the BArney Ross win is slightly overrated. Ross looked completely done in that fight despite being the defending champion. A lot to do with HA's style but he retired after the fight which has to count for something.

Armstrong defending the title 19 times (a record that still stands) is what really solidified his credentials at WW rather than his win over Ross imo. His win over Lou Ambers is truly great. Sarron i dont know as much about but he was a legit champ with a good record.

Overall his record is astonishing and his achievements are unparalleled in certain areas.

To the thread, SRR's resume weighing 147 or below is pretty damn good

-Sammy Angott x3
    -Fritzie Zivic x2
    -Henry Armstrong
    -Jake Lamotta (2-1 to SRR when ray was a WW)
    -Tommy Bell x2
    -Marty Servo x2
    -Artie Levine
    -Kid Gavilan (x1 at ww limit)
    Argument for Duran or Chavez can be made ,also controversial opinion but SRL and Morales (he was boss at featherwaight devisions ),But question is 147 and All the way down?

Comment

I dont think anyone competes with the complete body of work that Armstrong had at and below 147 though.

The likes of Mclarnin, Canzoneri, Ross, Ambers were obviously in a phenomenal era fighting each other and a slew of other very good fighters from LW to WW.

I think IronDanHamza mentioned once that Mclarnin has the most HoF's ever on his resume?

Comment

Far fewer limitations on boxing excellence though. Boxing wasnt divided into a million tiny slices for a start
        Do you mean far fewer limitations on boxing compared to other sports in the 1930s or far fewer limitations on boxing in the 1930s compared to boxing of today?

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
          Do you mean far fewer limitations on boxing compared to other sports in the 1930s or far fewer limitations on boxing in the 1930s compared to boxing of today?
          boxing in the 30's compared to today. Fighters today have too many barriers in their way to becoming a top fighter. Crap amateur system (changed recently but still), not being able to fight other top fighters regularly, being matched impossibly easily, especially early on, limited trainers etc.

Boxers in the 30's had a much better chance of maxing out their potential than they do today.

Comment

boxing in the 30's compared to today. Fighters today have too many barriers in their way to becoming a top fighter. Crap amateur system (changed recently but still), not being able to fight other top fighters regularly, being matched impossibly easily, especially early on, limited trainers etc.

Boxers in the 30's had a much better chance of maxing out their potential than they do today.
            The amateur boxing system of today, and of recent decades, is light-years ahead of the 1930s. Fighters of today have a far easier time excelling than boxers of the 30s, the opportunities are far greater Anyway it was not just the structure of the sport that I was thinking of when I said that the 1930s had greater limitations on sport than today, where the economics and control of managers and promoters really made fighters fight far too often. People talk about corruption in boxing today but really it is small-fry compared to the 1930s. I was also thinking about the general attitude towards sport (rise of professionalism), the legitimacy and fairness of fights, the improvements in strength and conditioning, and medicine (including doping).

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
              The amateur boxing system of today, and of recent decades, is light-years ahead of the 1930s. Fighters of today have a far easier time excelling than boxers of the 30s, the opportunities are far greater Anyway it was not just the structure of the sport that I was thinking of when I said that the 1930s had greater limitations on sport than today, where the economics and control of managers and promoters really made fighters fight far too often. People talk about corruption in boxing today but really it is small-fry compared to the 1930s. I was also thinking about the general attitude towards sport (rise of professionalism), the legitimacy and fairness of fights, the improvements in strength and conditioning, and medicine (including doping).
              I ref and can cosign you 100% The amateur system is better than it has ever been. Even the Olympics has done away with that annoying points scoring system.

Seeing it every day, I can't imagine what it was like for boxers training back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by i got the keys View Post
                I ref and can cosign you 100% The amateur system is better than it has ever been. Even the Olympics has done away with that annoying points scoring system.

Seeing it every day, I can't imagine what it was like for boxers training back in the day.
                Agree on amateurs but many pros from past were better then now.

Comment

I dont think anyone competes with the complete body of work that Armstrong had at and below 147 though.

The likes of Mclarnin, Canzoneri, Ross, Ambers were obviously in a phenomenal era fighting each other and a slew of other very good fighters from LW to WW.

I think IronDanHamza mentioned once that Mclarnin has the most HoF's ever on his resume?
                  If I'm not mistaken I think McLarnin has the most.

Either him or Greb.

Comment

Duran definitely got his heart mauled by his own quit. He squalled like a bambino in his wife's breasts after his Panamanian fans laid their scorn on him. The man went goofy in the ring because like a spoiled child he did not get what he expected--a brawling Leonard. He would have taken it back every second of the way to the dressing room and the airplane ride home. But once you have quit you cannot resume. Wherever Duran went he noticed people cupping their hands over their lips as they whispered something. Duran's psyche walked with a limp for a while. The limp is gone but the old injury still hurts at night.

Comment

Working...
                    X