No announcement yet.

Marvin Hagler's Toughest Title Defense

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvin Hagler's Toughest Title Defense

Who gave Hagler his toughest test for the the MW title???

Please discuss,,,

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Who gave Hagler his toughest test for the the MW title???

Please discuss,,,
    Leonard would be the obvious choice but other than that, John Mugabi. Of course Hagler was slipping and past prime at that point. In his prime Juan Roldan gave him a tough fight early but Hagler broke him down.

Comment

Roldan is a solid choice,, I cant remember which mustafa fight it was, but in one of them he had some solid success vs hagler

Comment

Do not underestimate Durans challenge Marvin was in his physical prime and would have lost a 12 rounder on the judge's card's although those card's might have been generous to Roberto. This fight to me was very underated a cerebral undertaking by both men and it did have some meanful exchanges with duran damaging his right on Marvin's thick skull. Marvin always respected Roberto for being the first guy to get him a big money fight.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          Do not underestimate Durans challenge Marvin was in his physical prime and would have lost a 12 rounder on the judge's card's although those card's might have been generous to Roberto. This fight to me was very underated a cerebral undertaking by both men and it did have some meanful exchanges with duran damaging his right on Marvin's thick skull. Marvin always respected Roberto for being the first guy to get him a big money fight.
          Duran gave a good effort but i thought hagler won pretty easily,, I think people make such a big deal about it because people that hagler would walk thru the former lightweight kingpin and duran was competitive thru out,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Duran gave a good effort but i thought hagler won pretty easily,, I think people make such a big deal about it because people that hagler would walk thru the former lightweight kingpin and duran was competitive thru out,,,
            I agree with you just curious if you would have rather seen a rematch of that fight immediately after or a Hagler Hearn's Rematch and which fight would have been more competive.

Comment

Mugabi was his toughest defense, no doubt about it..
              Never saw Hagler backed up as often, and with as much authority, he was in that one
              The beast boxed and countered exceptionally, which no one expected him to do.. Least of all, Hagler.
              It signalled the end of his prime, and neither he, or Mugabi, were ever as good again.

Comment

Roldan and John Mugabe gave Hagler 2 really tough fights. The uppercut Mugabe nailed Hagler with was unbelievable,when it landed it I thought that was it. It lifted Marvin off the deck and he shook it off like it was nothing. The Hearns fight deserves a mention also as it looked like the fight could be stopped because of the nast cut on Hagler's head. He was up against the clock and had to take Hearns out. Although it was 3 rounds those 3 rounds were the hardest 3 rounds Hagler ever had and the closest he ever was to losing.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  Mugabi was his toughest defense, no doubt about it..
                  Never saw Hagler backed up as often, and with as much authority, he was in that one
                  The beast boxed and countered exceptionally, which no one expected him to do.. Least of all, Hagler.
                  It signalled the end of his prime, and neither he, or Mugabi, were ever as good again.
                  You are right both fighters were never the same. Mugabe was a LMW and Mickey Duff should have been setting up Ttle fihts in that division which I feel he would have dominated. Instead he jumped the gun and put him in with Hagler. Mugabe could have beaten pretty well everyone else, he could have had a fantastic career but that fight ruined him.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                    I agree with you just curious if you would have rather seen a rematch of that fight immediately after or a Hagler Hearn's Rematch and which fight would have been more competive.
                    Rematch with duran would have been pointless, i think hagler would have been more aggressive and beaten him more thoroughly in the rematch..

I always wanted to see hearns-hagler 2,, I honestly believe that hagler was never the same after that first fight,, He absorbed alot of solid shots in that fight, and afterwards i dont think hagler had that extra gear anymore, and seemed to have really slowed vs mugabi and leonard,,
                    I think hearns would have had a great chance to outbox that version hagler from the outside and win a decision,,, I dont think in the rematch hearns would come out guns blazing like he did in the first fight,,

I always thought if it was hearns-hagler 2 instead of hagler-SRL, that hearns would have outpointed hagler

Comment

Working...
                    X