Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Andre Ward ever be a PPV star?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward is a bit of an enigma, granted he's not a big KO puncher that will get casual fans excited but he's a relatively young undefeated champion, Olympic gold medalist and a complete fighter, having arguably cleaned out his division and considered by many to be pound for pound the second best fighter in the sport. Yet despite all of this he doesn't have a huge following, enough to draw big crowds and generate PPV revenue. Crazy. With that said all that could change if he can score spectacular KO or two and land some marquee names (Martinez/Hopkins).

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
      Not really. 1. He's not exciting enough 2. Not polarizing 3. No great nemesis that the world wants him to fight. 4. Lack of a large hardcore fanbase

Got be big on 1 or all of these areas.
      Exactly, you gotta have something to get the people worked up about, rather it's your power, your style or you attitude, nothing there for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
        I agree. He isn't a highlight reel, k.o. machine either.

There is a video that somebody posted of Nazim Richardson basically comparing Ward and Tim Duncan.

Might not be the flashiest or entertaining to watch. But they sure do win a lot.
        If you appreciate skills, then you will always watch Tim or Ward. If you only watch for the violence or the athleticism-well Tim and Ward aren't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
          If you appreciate skills, then you will always watch Tim or Ward. If you only watch for the violence or the athleticism-well Tim and Ward aren't for you.
          Tim?? As in Tim Bradley?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post
            Tim?? As in Tim Bradley?
            tim as in duncan

Comment

Tim?? As in Tim Bradley?
              Tim Duncan lol

Comment

Tim?? As in Tim Bradley?
                No. As in Tim Duncan.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                  tim as in duncan
                  Yea funny, I don't see much skill in Bradley at all.
                  His career has been carefully put together, he's a black Ricky Hatton waiting to get Ko'd.

He ducked Khan cause he knew what was coming.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Tim for his personality and that he comes to fight, comes to win, and he's mentally strong.

I was hoping you were talking about Tim Weatherspoon...but Bradley??

Comment

Yea funny, I don't see much skill in Bradley at all.
                    His career has been carefully put together, he's a black Ricky Hatton waiting to get Ko'd.

He ducked Khan cause he knew what was coming.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Tim for his personality and that he comes to fight, comes to win, and he's mentally strong.

I was hoping you were talking about Tim Weatherspoon...but Bradley??
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Sweet Pea 50
                    I agree. He isn't a highlight reel, k.o. machine either.

There is a video that somebody posted of Nazim Richardson basically comparing Ward and Tim Duncan.

Might not be the flashiest or entertaining to watch. But they sure do win a lot.
                    do you un derstand now?

Comment

no charisma, not an exciting fighter, plays it safe, effective medicine of insomia, oppositions at his weight are not a big threat to him, no large fanbase (only fight at his hometurf), may be he just want to be a star in his hometown

Comment

Working...
                      X