No announcement yet.

Does jimmy mclarin deserve to be ranked 21st p4p

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does jimmy mclarin deserve to be ranked 21st p4p

This rating from bert sugars book kinda stuck out as he is ahead of archie moore and ezzard charles. What do you forum members think?

Having him that high is fair, doesn't deserve too be in front of Charles or Moore though.

Comment

It's ok. I've always had a soft spot for Moore so I'd probably rank Archie higher.

Comment

#21 is too low.

He's top 20, atleast.

Comment

He undoubtedly has one of the greatest resumes of wins against stellar opposition of all time that it would be a tragedy for anyone to rank him lower. I don't think he should necessarily be ahead of Moore and Charles but I do think they aren't very far apart.

People often overlook McLarnin. Imagine Pac's achievements, titles from Flyweight to Welterweight but imagine every single one of them against great HOF fighters. Well, that's what McLarnin did.

He beat HOF greats from Flyweight to Welterweight (obviously without the BS titles back then), and there are about 14 HOFers which is one of the highest number of HOFers from any fighter, ever.

14 (or whatever it is....can't remember right now) HOFers from Flyweight to Welterweight is a staggering achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            He beat HOF greats from Flyweight to Welterweight (obviously without the BS titles back then), and there are about 14 HOFers which is one of the highest number of HOFers from any fighter, ever.

14 (or whatever it is....can't remember right now) HOFers from Flyweight to Welterweight is a staggering achievement.
            Just looked this up as I thought Mclarnin beating 14 HOFers seemed a bit much, I know for a fact Ali has beaten the second most number of HOFers and it's less than 14.

Mclarnin beat 15 world champions and 5 of those were HOFers. Still a great achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
              Just looked this up as I thought Mclarnin beating 14 HOFers seemed a bit much, I know for a fact Ali has beaten the second most number of HOFers and it's less than 14.

Mclarnin beat 15 world champions and 5 of those were HOFers. Still a great achievement.
              No, Mclarnin beat 12 HOF'ers, not 5. 11 if you don't include his DQ win over Bud Taylor. Still, a win's a win.

Canzoneri
              Ross
              Leonard
              Petrolle
              Ambers
              LaBarba
              Villa
              Kaplan
              Corbett 3
              Mandall
              Fields
              Taylor

That's 12 HOF'ers he beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post

Ali hasn't beaten the second most different HOF's, he had 7.

SRR and Henry Armstrong had 10, Langford 11, Louis 8 as did Loughran. Canzoneri and Charles had 9.

Greb is the victor with 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  Ali hasn't beaten the second most different HOF's, he had 7.

SRR and Henry Armstrong had 10, Langford 11, Louis 8 as did Loughran. Canzoneri and Charles had 9.

Greb is the victor with 13.
                  I disagree. Actually I made a video on youtube about this a long time ago, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvQpFTK0k_k
                  In my opinion SRR fought 11 Hall of Famers and Armstrong fought 9 Hall of Famers. I even listed them in the video (time mark 4 minutes 10 seconds)
                  But I would love to get proven wrong by you.
                  but I just saw you guys are talking about "having beaten" Hof'ers and not "having fought" Hof'ers so that makes a difference since Armstrong for example fought SRR but didnt beat him.
                  Robinson fought 11 Hall of Famers but beat only 10, he lost to Joey Giardello (a Hof'er). as for Armstrong. Would like to know the 10 guys cause I only found 9 and he didnt beat all of them.
                  Last edited by raskat; 09-22-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by raskat View Post
                    I disagree. Actually I made a video on youtube about this a long time ago, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvQpFTK0k_k
                    In my opinion SRR fought 11 Hall of Famers and Armstrong fought 9 Hall of Famers. I even listed them in the video (time mark 4 minutes 10 seconds)
                    But I would love to get proven wrong by you.
                    but I just saw you guys are talking about "having beaten" Hof'ers and not "having fought" Hof'ers so that makes a difference since Armstrong for example fought SRR but didnt beat him.
                    Robinson fought 11 Hall of Famers but beat only 10, he lost to Joey Giardello (a Hof'er). as for Armstrong. Would like to know the 10 guys cause I only found 9 and he didnt beat all of them.
                    You have Giardello listed, Robinson never beat Giardello.

For Armstrong you missed Chalky Wright and Benny Bass.

Comment

Working...
                    X