Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did the term 'queer street' come from?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did the term 'queer street' come from?

Only heard this term when i started watching boxing. All the old fights i watch they use this term alot. From what i can gather it means to be stunned/dazed.

Just curious as to where this term come from and how it started. Does it have anything to do with ****sexuality?

Have tried searching google but can't find anything about it.

Originally posted by OG William View Post
    Only heard this term when i started watching boxing. All the old fights i watch they use this term alot. From what i can gather it means to be stunned/dazed.

Just curious as to where this term come from and how it started. Does it have anything to do with ****sexuality?

Have tried searching google but can't find anything about it.
    Nothing to do with being gay. Gay 50 years ago, 100 years ago had nothing to do with being gay. Fa g and fa ggot had nothing to do with being gay. Still doesn't in England as far as I know.

I had heard that queer street meant "drunken" or " like a bum wandering aimlessly or drunkedly."

there's something in google books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7iJ...page&q&f=false

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
      Nothing to do with being gay. Gay 50 years ago, 100 years ago had nothing to do with being gay. Fa g and fa ggot had nothing to do with being gay. Still doesn't in England as far as I know.

I had heard that queer street meant "drunken" or " like a bum wandering aimlessly or drunkedly."

Thank you i understand now. Green K sent.

Comment

"Queer," was a term not associated with ****sexuality until long after the phrase, "Queer Street," had entered the Boxing vernacular.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post

Fa ggot is mainly meant as gay in the UK, so is fa g but people use it more as a term for a cigarette.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
            Fa ggot is mainly meant as gay in the UK, so is fa g but people use it more as a term for a cigarette.
            Now that you mention it, I can remember when the word gay had nothing to do with anyones sexuality.

Comment

Working...
            X