No announcement yet.

Lou DiBella doesn't want to ruin one of his moneymakers in Berto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lou DiBella doesn't want to ruin one of his moneymakers in Berto

I've been following the Dibella interviews on Btalk on a regular basis for the last 3 years.

You should hear this guy talk about Berto.

It's about as conservative as it gets.

All the people on here that think Berto sucks, that's what Bertos promoter thinks from everything I've read from him

You should of read this interview he did right after Berto beat Collazo on Btalk.. Basically, thinks he did good in the fight.. but needs to work on things.

After every single fight... he did a good job, but you know hes still young he still needs to learn certain things, still a lot of mistakes.. etc etc....

Basically the way he talks, it's not Berto that doesn't want the HUGE money fights, and the PPV fight, and the fame that comes with it.

Lou DiBella doesn't want to have the possibility of putting a loss on Berto's record, because it's one of his selling points.. it makes him money, and he's an HBO fighter.

He's consistent and dependant money for DiBella as long as Berto keeps winning. And in short, DiBella doesnt think he can necessarily beat the Cotto's and Margarito's of the division yet, and if they DO want to negotiate, he wants big money because of the risk that Andre will lose... and hence the negotiations fall through and Lou quickly moves on to less risker options.

I think Berto, in his mind, knows he belongs with everyone at welterweight, whether you agree or disagree... everytime I hear him talk he is 100% about getting a big fight, a ppv fight.

Everytime Lou DiBella talks, he talks low key, still a working process, all in due time.. not quite yet.. sort of response.

When Greg Leon asked Lou about a Williams - Berto matchup... Lou thought Greg was joking... he was like....Paul Williams?

Yes I noticed this to after the Collazo fight. Right then and there I knew Berto wasn't going to be fighting any TOP WW soon. I was shocked when they made the Mosley fight because I thought Mosley was going to rip his head off, but luckily for Dibella the fight got cancelled. I think he got a got purse for that fight, hence them making it.
    I don't think Berto is ready for any of the top dogs at WW. I just don't like his style, and can't see him beating any of them. He should fight el Perro since el perro is still green just to see were he's at and to gain some exposure.

Comment

Dibella is actually one of the nicest people I've met in boxing. He has a great mind who can see certain things. If he says that about Berto, it's because he knows that Berto isn't ready. Who knows if he'll ever be.

Regardless how nice Dibella is, they need to cut the **** with talks about fighting Maidana. Kotelnik is slightly interesting because realistically Kotelnik isn't probably going to get any more shots at 140 (even if I'd love to see him vs Ortiz). Maidana losing to Berto would suck though.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
        Dibella is actually one of the nicest people I've met in boxing. He has a great mind who can see certain things. If he says that about Berto, it's because he knows that Berto isn't ready. Who knows if he'll ever be.

Regardless how nice Dibella is, they need to cut the **** with talks about fighting Maidana. Kotelnik is slightly interesting because realistically Kotelnik isn't probably going to get any more shots at 140 (even if I'd love to see him vs Ortiz). Maidana losing to Berto would suck though.
        From a business standpoint, Lou is in the business to make money, and that's what he is trying to do... but I don't think he has a lot of confidence in Andre at all, and is incredibly reluctant to him in with someone who can beat him. I was actually surprised by the Mosley fight, but he was going to make decent money from HBO for it, and I think he thought Mosley was about done, and was an ageing name Berto could put on his resume. I don't agree with that, though.. Mosley was a serious risk.

Either way, aside from the Mosley fight, which never happened any damn way... he just seems incredibly reluctant to put him out there yet.

Comment

it's hbo's fault! giving him 750k to fight urango is just plain stupid

Comment

I think Quintana was a solid fight...Paul Williams is a dangerous fight...

If Berto loses and its competitive I don't think it hurts his stock majorly...

I wouldn't throw him in with Pacquiao...but Cotto, Shane, P.Will, I would take the chance...

Its only so long you can hold a guy back...

Who's fighting under DiBella nowadays? Malignaggi's gone...I can't think right now...outside of young NY prospects...

Comment

It's not just Berto, it's the way boxing has become. Fighters want to keep their unbeaten record til they get a title shot so the don't learn from true tests. Champions don't want to risk their titles by unifying. It's like they are hiding behind there titles. Is it the blame of profit hungry promoters and managers or does the blame fall on fighters not wanting to risk losing and proving they are the best.
              I think a little of both and some of it falls on us as consumers for buying it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tyger View Post
                It's not just Berto, it's the way boxing has become. Fighters want to keep their unbeaten record til they get a title shot so the don't learn from true tests. Champions don't want to risk their titles by unifying. It's like they are hiding behind there titles. Is it the blame of profit hungry promoters and managers or does the blame fall on fighters not wanting to risk losing and proving they are the best.
                I think a little of both and some of it falls on us as consumers for buying it as well.
                Co-Sign...............

Its also part of our fault...a guy loses...he's done...a guy looks bad, OH HE'S BEEN EXPOSED!

Every Legend In The Sport Has A Loss...Can't Be A Legend Without Some Adversity...

Comment

Originally posted by -EX- View Post
                  I think Quintana was a solid fight...Paul Williams is a dangerous fight...

If Berto loses and its competitive I don't think it hurts his stock majorly...

I wouldn't throw him in with Pacquiao...but Cotto, Shane, P.Will, I would take the chance...

Its only so long you can hold a guy back...

Who's fighting under DiBella nowadays? Malignaggi's gone...I can't think right now...outside of young NY prospects...
                  He has Sergio Martinez and 2 solid 168 pounders. He also has Allan Green, Randall Bailey, and Peter Manfredo. Martinez is his ace though.

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                  From a business standpoint, Lou is in the business to make money, and that's what he is trying to do... but I don't think he has a lot of confidence in Andre at all, and is incredibly reluctant to him in with someone who can beat him. I was actually surprised by the Mosley fight, but he was going to make decent money from HBO for it, and I think he thought Mosley was about done, and was an ageing name Berto could put on his resume. I don't agree with that, though.. Mosley was a serious risk.

Either way, aside from the Mosley fight, which never happened any damn way... he just seems incredibly reluctant to put him out there yet.
                  I think it has to do more with Berto's management. If it was up to Dibella, I think he'd love to put Berto in with Mosley and people to get him the exposure, but like already mentioned, it's HBO's fault for paying him so much to fight ****tier fighters.

Berto can't draw flies to a dump, but there position is understandable too. Why should he fight Mosley for less when he can make just as much fighting Maidana?

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
                    He has Sergio Martinez and 2 solid 168 pounders. He also has Allan Green, Randall Bailey, and Peter Manfredo. Martinez is his ace though.
                    Yeah Martinez is his ace...

If Berto fights again this year it will probably be against Kotelnik...I don't think they would look at a Collazo rematch...no money, high risk fight...

2011, its time to take Berto's diaper off and throw him in there...

Comment

Working...
                    X