No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Joe Frazier

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Dempsey vs Joe Frazier

Who would win this intriguing match-up? I might bet on Dempsey but then Frazier was a beast.
    Jack Dempsey
    22.73%
    Joe Frazier
    77.27%

This is one of my favourite hypotheticals and I think it's also ridiculously close. I have to go with Frazier though as I believe he was more calculated with his attacks than Dempsey who was more of a brawler. However Dempsey was better at going backwards and boxing than Frazier was so that could add another dimension to the game but, I feel a boxer Dempsey would get steamrolled by Frazier.

All in all I would go for a Frazier TKO in a close fight up until the stoppage around 12 with both fighters receiving knockdowns in an all out war spliced with immense skill.

Comment

This is such a tough call, I shade Dempsey based on his superior hand speed and his greater punch repetoire than Frazier, certainly his right hand (although Frazier's was severely underated!).

All other factors were roughly equal; heart, pace, desire, head movement. Both could certainly be hurt by the other. I don't think prime Frazier's 1 stone weight advantage would benefit him too much.

I may well be wrong with this one though, I have trouble seeing Dempsey stopping Frazier to win.......and at the same time picking anyone to decision Frazier over 15 rounds.

Very tough call...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        I may well be wrong with this one though, I have trouble seeing Dempsey stopping Frazier to win.......and at the same time picking anyone to decision Frazier over 15 rounds.

Very tough call...
        This is why I'm going with Frazier by late KO or UD.

But not ruling out a TKO by Dempsey. Once the man got on a roll, things could get messy.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
          This is why I'm going with Frazier by late KO or UD.

But not ruling out a TKO by Dempsey. Once the man got on a roll, things could get messy.

I'll be honest, the more I think about it......I could come round to a Frazier victory here!

Not a fight I'd bet on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            I'll be honest, the more I think about it......I could come round to a Frazier victory here!

Not a fight I'd bet on.

Frazier is the better heavyweight and greater fighter in my opinion and I'd expect him to win. But he needs to survive the early rounds. Fact is that Frazier started slow and Dempsey came out with guns blazing. I think he can do this, but a Dempsey win is a realistic possibility in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Frazier is the better heavyweight and greater fighter in my opinion and I'd expect him to win. But he needs to survive the early rounds. Fact is that Frazier started slow and Dempsey came out with guns blazing. I think he can do this, but a Dempsey win is a realistic possibility in my opinion.
              Man this fight is always just a single punch away form a sudden finish, I think this fight comes down to pure heart, I really do, I agree that if Joe can survive the first eight rounds of certain punishment I think he may edge it, but he's only a 50-50 chance of doing that, but Fraziers extra weight will tell from the 8th onwards if/when he does... remember all this is hypothetical.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Agreed. Jack's best chance is to get Frazier out of there early, when Dempsey was at his most dangerous and Frazier was most vulnerable. Foreman had him out in two, Bonavena had him down twice in the second and Ali buzzed him early on their second fight. If he fails (and imo he does despite a few hairy moments for Joe), I favour Frazier to pound out a decision in an all-time no quarter asked for or given classic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
                  Agreed. Jack's best chance is to get Frazier out of there early, when Dempsey was at his most dangerous and Frazier was most vulnerable. Foreman had him out in two, Bonavena had him down twice in the second and Ali buzzed him early on their second fight. If he fails (and imo he does despite a few hairy moments for Joe), I favour Frazier to pound out a decision in an all-time no quarter asked for or given classic.
                  I will go with Dempsey. Frazier was a slow starter and Dempsey the classic quick starter, if Dempsey has Frazier hurt I think his superior hand speed will coem into play. Also the fact that Frazier will likely trade with him once hurt might help matters.

A early KO is very probable and the one I will bet on if I had to. But if Dempsey does not get Frazier away early I think Frazier will poun dhis way to a decision as Jack would have likely spent too much by then.

But unless I had some inside information, my money will never leave my pocket.

Comment

I don't think either man is finishing on the back. Too much honor and dignity on both sides.

If a prime foreman could not KO a post prime Frazier I don't think Dempsey (or anyone for that matter) puts Joe down for the count. It's going the distance or someone stops it.

Comment

Working...
                    X