Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we just give it up for the UNDERDOGS a minute?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we just give it up for the UNDERDOGS a minute?

They are the fighters...the up-all-nighters...they cut from a different kinda cloth. They came to fight and became celebrities overnight.

I'm talking those cats who were said to have NO chance of winning - they were not on the opponent's level, they were going to get exposed as bums like all the rest...then went on to pass that test.

Too many to mention over years, but from recent memory:
    • Marco Antonio Rubio beating David Lemieux
    • Tim Bradley beating Pacquiao AND Marquez
    • Ishida stopping Kirkland
    • Peterson beating Khan
    • Rigo beating Donaire
    • Crawford stopping Gamboa
    • Postol making Matthysse quit
    • Enzo Macaranelli brutally knocking out Roy Jones
    • Crawford embarrassing Postol
    • Gonzalez knocking out Abner Mares in the first
    • Fury embarrassing Clinchko
    • Algieri beating Ruslan
    • Maidana beating Broner
    • John Molina beating Ruslan
    • Cab driver Peralta beating Robert Guerrero
    • Spence stopping Brook
    • Smith knocking Bernard Hopkins out of the ring into retirement
    • Castellanos making Gamboa quit on the stool
    • Rungvisai embarrassing Chocolatito
    • Rungvisai sparking Chocolatito COLD in four rounds of the rematch after winning three
    • Sho Kimura coming back from a battle to expose Zou Shiming
    • Jeff "The Hornet" Horn beats Manny Pacquiao UNANIMOUSLY at The Battle of Brisbane
    • Andrey Sirotkin making legend Ricardo Mayorga QUIT inside 9 rounds
    • Sadam Ali beating Miguel Cotto into retirement
    • Caleb Truax pulling a PacBradley 1 on James DeGale
    • McWilliams Arroyo stuns Carlos Cuadras at SuperFly 2
    • "Boxing's Next Cotto" Felix Verdejo getting stopped by a padded resume nobody in Antonio Lozada Jr
    • Isaac Dogboe shocking Magdaleno and stopping him
    • That same Isaac Dogboe getting UNANIMOUSLY beaten and face wrecked by Emmanuel Navarette, a guy who only ever beat street sweepers
    • Tony Harrison shocks the boxing world and UNANIMOUSLY beats Jermell Charlo (the non-knockout brother).
    • Britian's favorite champion Anthony Joshua broken down and STOPPED by a Mexican "taco stand worker" (according to someone on NSB) in Andy Ruiz
    • Wale Omotoso who nobody knows, completely WALKS THROUGH one of Golovkin's best wins in Curtis Stevens
    • Jeff 'The Hornet' Horn, one of only three men to UNANIMOUSLY beat Manny Pacquiao, gets outbullied, dropped and brutally STOPPED by a stripper in Michael Zerafa
    • Jeff 'The Hornet' Horn, a natural Jr. MW, defies the odds by beating full MW Michael Zerafa in the immediate rematch
    • Julian 'J-Rock' Williams gets stopped by a 20-1 underdog in Jeison Rosario
    • "Boxing's Next Cotto" Felix Verdejo comes back from injury only to get BRUTALLY rocked and stopped by Masayoshi Nakatani, a regional gatekeeper .
    • "The King" Elvis Rodriguez gets shocked by an 11-to-1 underdog in Kenneth Sims Jr.
    • Long-time gatekeeper Gabe Rosado leaves the guy people call "Bek Bully" Bektemir Melikuziev STIFF on the mat from a Martinez/Williams style right hand.

And now, bearded nobody in Sandor Martin outboxes Mikey Garcia, even though there was a catchweight.

Any other GROSSLY overmatched underdogs people can think of? Let's honor them here.
    Last edited by Combat Talk Radio; 10-17-2021, 09:14 AM.
    club fighter club fighter likes this.

Originally posted by revelated View Post
    They are the fighters...the up-all-nighters...they cut from a different kinda cloth. They came to fight and became celebrities overnight.

I'm talking those cats who were said to have NO chance of winning - they were not on the opponent's level, they were going to get exposed as bums like all the rest...then went on to pass that test.

Marco Antonio Rubio beating David Lemieux
    Tim Bradley beating Pacquiao AND Marquez
    Ishida stopping Kirkland
    Peterson beating Khan
    Rigo beating Donaire
    Crawford stopping Gamboa
    Postol making Matthysse quit
    Enzo Macaranelli brutally knocking out Roy Jones
    Crawford embarrassing Postol
    Gonzalez knocking out Abner Mares in the first
    Fury embarrassing Clinchko
    Algieri beating Ruslan
    Maidana beating Broner
    John Molina beating Ruslan
    Cab driver Peralta beating Robert Guerrero
    Spence stopping Brook
    Castellanos making Gamboa quit on the stool
    Rungvisai embarrassing Chocolatito

And now, Jeff Horn takes his place in the elites after unanimously defeating Manny Pacquiao in the Battle of Brisbane.

Notable mentions on the UFC side:

Holly Holm knocking out Ronda Rousey
    Former NFL linebacker Matt Mitrione knocking out a legend in Fedor Emelianenko

Bryan Barbarena choking out Sage Northcutt

Any other GROSSLY overmatched underdogs people can think of? Let's honor them here.
    Peterson did not beat Khan ,it was one of the worst robberies i have ever seen in this sport.

Comment

You are a cuq

Why are you posting blatant robberies for black fighters as a good thing

Comment

How can you leave off Salido beating Lomachenko?
        Fists_of_Fury Fists_of_Fury likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
          How can you leave off Salido beating Lomachenko?
          Because I never saw that as a gross mismatch. Salido is/was battle tested and going in, Loma was way too inexperienced for him. Salido went in the A-side and left the A-side; that's not an upset. You're using hindsight to judge that outcome based on where Loma's succeeded since, which is faulty.

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
          Peterson did not beat Khan ,it was one of the worst robberies i have ever seen in this sport.
          I'm only including based on who had their hand raised at the end of the day, not any conspiracy theories as to why (which is why I count PacBradley 1).

Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
          Why are you posting blatant robberies for black fighters as a good thing
          I'm only including based on who had their hand raised at the end of the day, not any conspiracy theories as to why (which is why I count PacBradley 1) or skin color (which is why I have a mix of races in there).

Comment

Because I never saw that as a gross mismatch. Salido is/was battle tested and going in, Loma was way too inexperienced for him. Salido went in the A-side and left the A-side; that's not an upset. You're using hindsight to judge that outcome based on where Loma's succeeded since, which is faulty.

I'm only including based on who had their hand raised at the end of the day, not any conspiracy theories as to why (which is why I count PacBradley 1).

I'm only including based on who had their hand raised at the end of the day, not any conspiracy theories as to why (which is why I count PacBradley 1) or skin color (which is why I have a mix of races in there).
            fair enough ,thats not conspiracy theorie doe ,there is no chance in hell that Peterson won that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
              fair enough ,thats not conspiracy theorie doe ,there is no chance in hell that Peterson won that fight.
              To be fair, I saw Khan dominate early, then start to get beat down and get timed with shots. Took the later rounds. At best, I can accept a draw. But I didn't see the robbery everyone else seemed to. Nowhere close to Williams/Lara. Not even in the same class.

It's not about doing everything perfect, life is about one thing: making history. However you gotta do it. Give it up to Peterson for making history.

As Floyd is keen to say...." At the end of the day, your hand was not raised." That's all that matters.

Underdogs!

Comment

Marco Antonio Rubio beating David Lemieux
                Tim Bradley beating Pacquiao AND Marquez
                Ishida stopping Kirkland
                Peterson beating Khan
                Rigo beating Donaire
                Crawford stopping Gamboa
                Postol making Matthysse quit
                Enzo Macaranelli brutally knocking out Roy Jones
                Crawford embarrassing Postol
                Gonzalez knocking out Abner Mares in the first
                Fury embarrassing Clinchko
                Algieri beating Ruslan
                Maidana beating Broner
                John Molina beating Ruslan
                Cab driver Peralta beating Robert Guerrero
                Spence stopping Brook
                Castellanos making Gamboa quit on the stool
                Rungvisai embarrassing Chocolatito

And now, Jeff Horn takes his place in the elites after unanimously defeating Manny Pacquiao in the Battle of Brisbane.

Notable mentions on the UFC side:

Holly Holm knocking out Ronda Rousey
                Former NFL linebacker Matt Mitrione knocking out a legend in Fedor Emelianenko

Bryan Barbarena choking out Sage Northcutt

Wasn't Crawford the favourite going in to Gamboa and Postol? Same with Spence vs Brook.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                  Wasn't Crawford the favourite going in to Gamboa and Postol? Same with Spence vs Brook.
                  Crawford most certainly was not favored against Gamboa OR Postol, nor was Spence favored against Brook.

Note when I say "favored", I'm referring to the media and the bookies, not boxing fans. Real boxing fans had no question that Postol had no shot and Brook was in trouble.

Certain people tried to put Postol on a pedestal because of Matthysse. Certain others dismissed all of Spence's 6 dominant wins just prior to Brook.

Crawford/Gamboa - go back and watch it. Even in the beginning they talk about how Crawford was untested and this was a big risk for him.

Comment

Crawford most certainly was not favored against Gamboa OR Postol, nor was Spence favored against Brook.

Note when I say "favored", I'm referring to the media and the bookies, not boxing fans. Real boxing fans had no question that Postol had no shot and Brook was in trouble.

Certain people tried to put Postol on a pedestal because of Matthysse. Certain others dismissed all of Spence's 6 dominant wins just prior to Brook.

Crawford/Gamboa - go back and watch it. Even in the beginning they talk about how Crawford was untested and this was a big risk for him.
                    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/7/2...etting-preview

Crawford was at -650 vs Postol.

He was at -166 vs Gamboa.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/5/2...howtime-boxing

Spence at -225 vs Brook.

So. How were these guys underdogs then? Or maybe I've misunderstood the stuff at the start of your posts about 'the media and the bookies'.

Comment

Working...
                    X