No announcement yet.

Any of you that speaks a Latin language

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Any of you that speaks a Latin language

How you inteligble would you say on scale of 1 to 10 are the other latin languagees.
    E.g. Say you speak Spanish, can you understand random words/sentences from French, Portugese, Italian. Also which language is more similar to your own.

I've always thought that if you spoke Spanish, other languages seem to come a lot easier to understand. When I was in college and took French, it seemed real easy to understand and pronounce words the more you knew spanish. And with Italian and Portuguese if you listen and pay attention you can fairly understand words and be able to basic communicate with someone because some words sound very similar or come close except for a letter or two as they do in Spanish.

I'm not saying your gonna have a intelligent conversation, but basic communication you could prolly manage to pull off.

Comment

I know French and Spanish so I find that I can understand a great deal of words written in Italian and Portuguese. I used to do Latin as well which is helpful, great subject.

Comment

If you learn a new language it makes it easier and much much quicker to learn another language. Like if you can play the Violin you would be able to learn guitar 5x faster than someone who can't play anything.

Comment

Spanish/Italian/Catalan/Portugese.

They're all similar.

French....not really. It has some words you understand, but it's a little more complicated.

Comment

I like watching a lot of foreign films, I find the Italian and Portugese languages the easiest to follow.

Comment

4 years altar boy (when the Mass was in Latin), 4 years Latin in HS.
              1 year Italian in college, decades listening to my relatives speaking Calabrese.
              2 years Spanish in college.

Dominus vosbiscus, et cum spiritu tuo.
              Fa napoli.
              Yo quiero taco bell.

Comment

i used to learn languages by accident in my youth. now, it's not as much fun.

the answer is obvious. you'll understand a bit with a background in another, similar language, but you shouldn't expect to be anywhere near fluent, or to be able to communicate beyond the level of a baby.

hablo espanol como un nino. puedo mirar boxeo en espanol, pero no comprendo el clergio cuando dice de dios.

no parlo italiano, pero capisco un po. i probably butchered that, but i don't give a f#ck. i can cook a legit red sauce, sing like caruso, and am a master in the bedroom.

if you're worried about being able to communicate abroad, i think that's appropriate. knowing french will not allow you to walk around in italy, striking up conversations. if you're worried about sounding like a goon, don't. the best way to learn a language is to fail miserably, the way a child does.

Comment

I like watch french and italian ****.

Comment

Working...
                  X