Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Ray Leonard won the Light Heavy title at 167lbs catch weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Sting Ray View Post
    I'm not much of a boxing historian.

Am I correct in my assumption that Sugar Ray Leonard won Lelonde's WBC Light Heavyweight title at a catchweight of 167 lbs.? And am I also correct in assuming that Ray also won the WBC Super Middle weight title as a bonus?

To those of you who were around at the time, did the critics and public criticize Sugar Ray for winning two titles that were non-legitimate - the light heavy title having been catchweight and the Super Middle title invented just for that fight?

Leonard is always referred to as a 5 division champ even to this day. Is this fair?
    Yes, in Canada there was much criticism when the fight and weights were announced.

Comment

Originally posted by KnockUTheFukOut View Post
      Yeah and guess who was Leonard's Promoter...uh...BOB ARUM!

So Bob Arum been manipulating Boxing Fans For DECADES! lol this is nothing new, that is why I laugh when I see stupid fans quoting him and really believing everything he says and really thinking that he is being honest

"yesterday I was lying today I'm telling the truth" -Bob Arum

So just because Leonard used Catch Weights still don't make it right...then again it really didn't matter what weight they fought at, Leonard would have destroyed him regardless

Comment

it really was the MOST ridicoulous way of winning a title.......
        i mean titles which made it even worse....

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
          it really was the MOST ridicoulous way of winning a title.......
          i mean titles which made it even worse....
          talk to arum bout that..he set it up....surprised??lol

Comment

Originally posted by KnockUTheFukOut View Post
            Yeah and guess who was Leonard's Promoter...uh...BOB ARUM!

So Bob Arum been manipulating Boxing Fans For DECADES! lol this is nothing new, that is why I laugh when I see stupid fans quoting him and really believing everything he says and really thinking that he is being honest

"yesterday I was lying today I'm telling the truth" -Bob Arum

So just because Leonard used Catch Weights still don't make it right...then again it really didn't matter what weight they fought at, Leonard would have destroyed him regardless
            Listen! There have been catch weights" all through boxing history. The first scientific "heavyweight" champion of England, where it all began, was Daniel Mendoza, a Jew, who regularly fought 200 lb PLUS when he never weighed more than 155. Henry Armstrong fought Ceferino Garcia when he weighed in at just over 140 with Garcia being 152 or 3.

This was for the CALIFORNIA versio of the middleweight title. It was a draw. He further fought Sugar Robinson weighing 140 with obinso at about 145, both well under the 147 limit. Robinson had had over 40 fights at that time including with the middleweight Lamotta.

Comment

this thread=

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                Listen! There have been catch weights" all through boxing history. The first scientific "heavyweight" champion of England, where it all began, was Daniel Mendoza, a Jew, who regularly fought 200 lb PLUS when he never weighed more than 155. Henry Armstrong fought Ceferino Garcia when he weighed in at just over 140 with Garcia being 152 or 3.

This was for the CALIFORNIA versio of the middleweight title. It was a draw. He further fought Sugar Robinson weighing 140 with obinso at about 145, both well under the 147 limit. Robinson had had over 40 fights at that time including with the middleweight Lamotta.
                We don't know if they were contracted weights or natural, but they are examples of top fighters exceeding the present day norms, and was not uncommon with top fighters then. One of the reasons why the records of today's fighters are not nearly as impressive as those of yesteryear.

Comment

He's black so it's ok. Only black boxers can get away with most shit.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
                    this thread=

lay down the pipe larry,...damn, your like a horny cat scratching its @ss to anything.....drink a beer or something,it'll calm you down..it's a legit thread.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                      He's black so it's ok. Only black boxers can get away with most shit.
                      What the heck is wrong with you? Who cares wehat color he is?

Comment

Working...
                      X