sparring video (1 minute)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
    getting there Aaron

head, head, head, weve talked about this, keep that head moving.
    Thanks for the advice as always!
    So more left-right head movement?

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
    Ok,I'm be honest, after first time of watching... no good.
    If your doing it has a hobby,grand, but if you have been doing it for 2 years,don't think about getting in the ring anytime soon.

Your chin is way up,hence the fact each time he hit you your head bounced back.
    Footwork was all over the place, each time he stepped in,you should of either caught him with a jab, step to the side,or swivel with you hook (step to the left while throwing a left hook)
    You didn't throw much punches at all, and the jabs that you did throw were lazy.
    You have to step in with your jab,
    And you really must learn how to use your feet, how to step out of range,and get in and out of range while also turning your opponent the way YOU want.

By not doing any of this your given up too much ring generalship.

I'm not trying to $h!t on you at all, but as a trainer you have so much to work on (in the ring)

Boxing is grand as a hobby, but please sharpen up a bit if your thinking fighting.

Ps. Work on your speed also, and technique,
    Rule of thumb, if your throwing your punches properly it's very hard to be hit, when you throw your jab for instance,make sure you step in,your right hand is on your jaw,and your chin tucked in, if your jab is straight and your chin is down your shoulder should have your chin protected........same with the right hand

Thanks for the honesty!!
    To be honest a lot of the things you mentioned are things that I'm aware of but it's just laziness on my part that I don't do it.
    Some questions:
    1. You mentioned footwork, but in what way could it be better? I know I crossed my feet a lot which I shouldn't do.
    You talked about punching every time he stepped in, so do you mean that with correct footwork I should be ready to do those things when he steps in?

2. About the jabs, maybe I didn't throw too many because I didn't want to go hard. Basically I don't like sparring with this guy because he hits quite hard and my ribs are still sore from a week ago. I asked to go light, and I was worried that if I got carried away and hit him too much and too hard it would escalate and I'd get injured again.
    Also the laziness might have been because of fatigue from previous rounds of sparring.

Anyway, how many more jabs should I have thrown?
    I counted about 17 jabs in 1 minute.

3. How can I turn my opponent the way I want? You mean by pivoting and moving to his left/right?

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
      If you want, I can try and throw up a couple of sparring vids next time I'm given a light spar tomorrow night or Friday to show you how to step out of range and that sort of stuff
      Yes, please do!

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
        Yes, please do!
        Think of a clock face, your head is bang in the centre of the face, where the hands are screwed to the face. Work at moving your head from 9 to 3, then work it 10 to 2 via 7,6,5 in a horse shoe. Throw that left jab and move your head to 3, right cross with head at 4

Comment

Random analogy I know, but hopefully makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
            Here's a video from sparring today.
            I'm in the white headgear.

Trainer (to my opponent @00:10): "slowly go forward, put the pressure on, walk forward!"
            (@00:20) "you have to go forward!"
            (To me @00:38) "be careful of the right hook!"

I wanted to go light and wasn't concentrating on getting big shots in.
            My opponent is much shorter and is a pressure fighter. He likes to slowly come forward, get you on the ropes and land hooks to the body and head.

What's the best way to box against a short pressure fighter with strong hooks?

My plan today was to keep moving and work the jab a lot to keep him at bay. Interestingly I noticed that by calming down and not trying to go for power shots all the time, I could see the best opportunities to land harder shots, maybe because it makes the opponent open up a bit and get sloppy with defence.

If you have any advice at all regarding my technique, strategy etc, I'd love to hear it!

Edit: also how do i embed youtube videos in my post?!

light sparring is crucial for working on things and being calm in the ring, training your eyes

I posted some sparring footage as well

Comment

Your guard is too low and you're too flat footed, hence why when he puts pressure on you, you take an extra step or cross your feet. You need to work on your weight distribution and being more on the balls of your feet. You need to loosen up your hips and knees you seem a bit stiff hence the lack of head and body movement, gotta turn those hips and shoulders so your opponent has a smaller target. Throw more to the head and body and put some more authority in your jabs by using your back and shoulder muscles. Tuck your chin in so when you throw your jab your shoulder should be protecting your chin. Throw in some feints here and there so your opponent becomes more hesitant.

Comment

Working...
              X