No announcement yet.

One & Done: Ben Simmons on Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One & Done: Ben Simmons on Showtime

I just watched this documentary on Showtime about Ben Simmons. Not allowing high school plyers to enter the draft is dumb as hell. The documentary is very well done. Has anyone else seen it?

I want to see this show..

Yeah it's super****ed up how basketball players are treated..

This is one of the few times I think there is institutional racism.. They allow baseball teams to sign 16 year old third world kids, but God forbid the NBA takes a kid from high school.
    MLB drafts tons of high school players each year, most don't pan out, but nobody says anything. But let a kid from the ghetto score a huge contract with the NBA at 18 and people go crazy... So stupid, and really sad... If you old enough to go to war, then you should be old enough to get paid for basketball..

Comment

Kept seeing ads for it on YouTube. They shouldn't have changed the rule. But if a kid really wants he could play in China for a year

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        I want to see this show..

Yeah it's super****ed up how basketball players are treated..

This is one of the few times I think there is institutional racism.. They allow baseball teams to sign 16 year old third world kids, but God forbid the NBA takes a kid from high school.
        MLB drafts tons of high school players each year, most don't pan out, but nobody says anything. But let a kid from the ghetto score a huge contract with the NBA at 18 and people go crazy... So stupid, and really sad... If you old enough to go to war, then you should be old enough to get paid for basketball..
        The rule is so stupid. I don't see how it benefits anyone. Forcing 1 year of college isn't going to make much of a difference regarding succeeding or failing in the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
          Kept seeing ads for it on YouTube. They shouldn't have changed the rule. But if a kid really wants he could play in China for a year
          Yep, Brandon Jennings and Emmanuel Mudiay played overseas before entering the draft

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
            Originally posted by Come on Man... View Post
            The rule is so stupid. I don't see how it benefits anyone. Forcing 1 year of college isn't going to make much of a difference regarding succeeding or failing in the NBA.
            I always felt they should tie your rookie contract with how much amateur experience you have..

For example..
            Straight from high school- 7 years, 1 mil a year, maybe more in the final few years, and only guaranteed 1 year

Freshman in college- 6 year deal, 1.5 roughly, 2 years guaranteed

Sop****re- 5 year 1.75 mil, 3 guaranteed

Junior- 4 year- 3 mil, 3 years guaranteed

Senior- 3 year, 5 mil, all guaranteed..

Something like that so it would incentivize developing in college... NBA would get much better rookies, ,and ncaa would be much deeper n stronger... And guys still have the option to go pro at anytime

Comment

I always felt they should tie your rookie contract with how much amateur experience you have..

For example..
              Straight from high school- 7 years, 1 mil a year, maybe more in the final few years, and only guaranteed 1 year

Something like that so it would incentivize developing in college... NBA would get much better rookies, ,and ncaa would be much deeper n stronger... And guys still have the option to go pro at anytime
              Only way college will get deeper and stronger is if they change it to 2 yr minimum or actual pay them a little which will never happen. 1 yr just makes no sense and doesn't even help ncaa really. 2 years with no pay would suck for broke kids, but NBA and ncaa would be better

Comment

Theres nothing ****ed up about it. Theres only 1 player in the entire history of basketball that was actually ready to play in the NBA at 18 and that's Lebron. College is the best place for players to develop and its a better way for NBA teams to evaluate how good players really are.

Players ending their careers before making it to the NBA is extremely rare. Besides, a college season is much easier on the body than an NBA season. Players are more likely to get injured in the pros.

Comment

For example..

Interesting proposal, I like the idea but the rule was fine the way it was. Changing the rule was unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post
                    Theres nothing ****ed up about it. Theres only 1 player in the entire history of basketball that was actually ready to play in the NBA at 18 and that's Lebron. College is the best place for players to develop and its a better way for NBA teams to evaluate how good players really are.

Players ending their careers before making it to the NBA is extremely rare. Besides, a college season is much easier on the body than an NBA season. Players are more likely to get injured in the pros.
                    How is college the best place to develop when they have to focus on classes and other obligations? As a pro, you focus on basketball full time and play and practice with the best players in the world.

Comment

Working...
                    X