Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather Jr's weakness is the extended lead hand - stiff arm stance / style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus. Floyd didn't train. He didn't want people to feel ripped off. So he fought toe to toe with Connor, a style he never fights, and only stepped on the gas in the later rounds.

Judging anything about him based on that fight shows you DKSAB.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
      Okay, Floyd Mayweather JR may have been 41 years of age when he boxed against Connor Mcgregor. However, Connor Mcgregor himself had 0 boxing bouts. Therefore, Mayweather's age disadvantage and weight disadvantage evens out when taking into consideration Connor Mcgregor's significant boxing experience disadvantage.

Also, this thread is in no way intended to insult Floyd Mayweather Jr or hate on him. It's merely constructive criticism!

Point is, Connor Mcgregor using the extended lead hand stance and style gave Mayweather lots of problems. The ability to keep Mayweather at bay using the lead hand by stiff arming him from range. It involved head control and lead hand dominance to defensively neutralize Mayweather's offense whilst also setting up his own offense as well. Basically using the Wladimir Klitschko's style / blueprint.

Now of course Floyd Mayweather Jr did manage to win in the end. It doesn't change the fact that Connor Mcgregor made Mayweather look very ordinary for the first 4 rounds. The problem for Mcgregor was his poor stamina for boxing which Mayweather obviously capitalized on. However, if stamina wasn't a factor and if that bout was a 4 round bout (as it could've been since it was Mcgregor's debut - Mayweather also had 4 round bouts when he first started off) then Mcgregor would've won. The bout was decided by Mcgregor's lack of stamina and not by his actual style or boxing moves he used.

Mayweather never really fought anybody like a Lennox Lewis or a Klitschko who can stiff arm opponents from range using the extended lead hand. Not blaming him for it since such boxers didn't exist in abundance during his time. Especially in the lower weight divisions. However, it does promote curiosity as to how Mayweather would've performed against boxers using that style and how much difficulty he would've had since he never had to face such boxers and the only time he did (against a debuting Mcgregor), he showed to have problems.

In summary, Floyd Mayweather Jr's weakness (judging by his bout against Connor Mcgregor) is an extended lead hand used for stiff arming and a very good jab. Especially boxers who have longer reach than Mayweather. It's no coincidence that Connor Mcgregor was one of the only few boxers to have a longer reach than Floyd Mayweather JR.
      This is another outlandish post you'll defend to the middle of next year because you think Conor McGregor proved to be a better boxer than Mayweather. The internet was invented for someone with an ego like yours.

Mayweather took 3 rounds to gauge McGregor's reach and power, and the next 6 rounds waiting for him to get tired. Simple as that. It was one of the easiest ways to make $100M.

Comment

Just judging him by the Connor fight can be misleading in my opinion, that “fight” was more exciting because we saw a Mayweather that was walking some down without much of a defence (In Mayweather terms) because he had zero respect for Connor (None).

So yeah even at 40 I doubt he would ever do that against all these younger guns, can you imagine him fighting like that against Thurman or Spence?

Comment

I think someone with a peek a boo style that of Prime Tyson would have beaten Mayweather someone who is good at slipping and bobbing and weaving with power would have beaten him though Castillo and Madaina beat him with their pressure style

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
            This is another outlandish post you'll defend to the middle of next year because you think Conor McGregor proved to be a better boxer than Mayweather. The internet was invented for someone with an ego like yours.

Mayweather took 3 rounds to gauge McGregor's reach and power, and the next 6 rounds waiting for him to get tired. Simple as that. It was one of the easiest ways to make $100M.
            You're making plenty of assumptions. My point is, Floyd Mayweather Jr has never fought and beat an elite opponent who used the same extended lead hand / stiff arming style which Connor Mcgregor used, which is roughly the same style that Wladimir Klitschko and Lennox Lewis use. Also, Floyd Mayweather Jr never really fought many, if any opponents that had a longer reach than himself. Tony Pep was one of the few but nobody with a longer reach boxed using the style that Connor Mcgregor employed. So it's not a coincidence that very few opponents of Floyd Mayweather Jr had longer arm length than himself.

My argument is purely based on what I personally saw during Mayweather's fight against McGregor since that was the only time Mayweather fought someone using such a style and he had immense difficulties against it. Perhaps Mayweather is so good that he may have always been able to adjust early on in his career IF he were to box against somebody using that style. However, it's a big IF since Mayweather never encountered anybody using that style and subsequently never had to show any adjustments to it. However, once again, the fact that Mayweather showed such difficulties doesn't eliminate the possibility that he may have possibly always have had problems against an opponent with such a style. Especially an elite opponent!

Just for your information, I'm a Floyd Mayweather Jr fan and I've watched each and every one of his bouts. So I suggest you avoid making assumptions about my knowledge.

Also, Mayweather was clearly getting out-boxed by McGregor in the first couple of rounds. There's no doubt about that! It's only after McGregor became tired that Mayweather was able to win via finishing Connor off.

It's possible that maybe Mayweather was purposefully getting out-boxed, so that he can wait for McGregor to get tired as a tactical plan. It's also possible that Mayweather had legitimate difficulties against such a style. Who knows for sure? Either way, my view is a definite possibility.

Comment

Point is, Connor Mcgregor using the extended lead hand stance and style gave Mayweather lots of problems. The ability to keep Mayweather at bay using the lead hand by stiff arming him from range. It involved head control and lead hand dominance to defensively neutralize Mayweather's offense whilst also setting up his own offense as well. Basically using the Wladimir Klitschko's style / blueprint.

Now of course Floyd Mayweather Jr did manage to win in the end. It doesn't change the fact that Connor Mcgregor made Mayweather look very ordinary for the first 4 rounds. The problem for Mcgregor was his poor stamina for boxing which Mayweather obviously capitalized on. However, if stamina wasn't a factor and if that bout was a 4 round bout (as it could've been since it was Mcgregor's debut - Mayweather also had 4 round bouts when he first started off) then Mcgregor would've won. The bout was decided by Mcgregor's lack of stamina and not by his actual style or boxing moves he used.

Mayweather never really fought anybody like a Lennox Lewis or a Klitschko who can stiff arm opponents from range using the extended lead hand. Not blaming him for it since such boxers didn't exist in abundance during his time. Especially in the lower weight divisions. However, it does promote curiosity as to how Mayweather would've performed against boxers using that style and how much difficulty he would've had since he never had to face such boxers and the only time he did (against a debuting Mcgregor), he showed to have problems.

In summary, Floyd Mayweather Jr's weakness (judging by his bout against Connor Mcgregor) is an extended lead hand used for stiff arming and a very good jab. Especially boxers who have longer reach than Mayweather. It's no coincidence that Connor Mcgregor was one of the only few boxers to have a longer reach than Floyd Mayweather JR.

Excellent post. I've edited down a little bit, but there were some guys with similar qualities that obviously floyd did not fight. There was Winky Wright, who Floyd turned down a fight with. Definitely had that stiff jab. When Floyd "retired" the first time you had Paul Williams, who had natural reach advantage and an active jab, maybe not necessarily a stiff one, and you can throw in Amir Khan as well, who's been begging for a Floyd fight forever, but Floyd doesn't get too much flack from his fans for avoiding.

I doubt if you make too many Floyd boy associates with suggesting he hasn't really fought this style of fighter.

Comment

You're making plenty of assumptions. My point is, Floyd Mayweather Jr has never fought and beat an elite opponent who used the same extended lead hand / stiff arming style which Connor Mcgregor used, which is roughly the same style that Wladimir Klitschko and Lennox Lewis use. Also, Floyd Mayweather Jr never really fought many, if any opponents that had a longer reach than himself. Tony Pep was one of the few but nobody with a longer reach boxed using the style that Connor Mcgregor employed. So it's not a coincidence that very few opponents of Floyd Mayweather Jr had longer arm length than himself.

My argument is purely based on what I personally saw during Mayweather's fight against McGregor since that was the only time Mayweather fought someone using such a style and he had immense difficulties against it. Perhaps Mayweather is so good that he may have always been able to adjust early on in his career IF he were to box against somebody using that style. However, it's a big IF since Mayweather never encountered anybody using that style and subsequently never had to show any adjustments to it. However, once again, the fact that Mayweather showed such difficulties doesn't eliminate the possibility that he may have possibly always have had problems against an opponent with such a style. Especially an elite opponent!

Just for your information, I'm a Floyd Mayweather Jr fan and I've watched each and every one of his bouts. So I suggest you avoid making assumptions about my knowledge.

Also, Mayweather was clearly getting out-boxed by McGregor in the first couple of rounds. There's no doubt about that! It's only after McGregor became tired that Mayweather was able to win via finishing Connor off.

It's possible that maybe Mayweather was purposefully getting out-boxed, so that he can wait for McGregor to get tired as a tactical plan. It's also possible that Mayweather had legitimate difficulties against such a style. Who knows for sure? Either way, my view is a definite possibility.
                Do you think he didn't fight many guys like that because there aren't many men from 130-147, where he fought the bulk of his career, that are tall with longer arms than since Floyd has an unusually long reach for someone his size?

Comment

Oscar de la Hoya and Diego Corrales had a longer reach than him. Zab Judah's was the same. Incidentally, McGregor's was only 2 inches longer. Margarito is an inch longer. The only person who would fit your category would probably be Paul Williams and maybe Erislandy Lara. One has a great jab the other one so so. You're using a fight with McGregor to try and establish a blue print to beat one of the best boxers in the last 20 years. It was an awkward style but it was non threatening. Obviously it wasn't a factor in the fight because of the outcome. It doesn't matter if you're a fan or how many hours of videos you watched. When you make comments like McGregor clearly out boxed Mayweather (without any pretext) I don't have to guess your knowledge.

What IF you didn't make the post but just kept your "knowledge" to yourself.
                  Last edited by HarvardBlue; 11-16-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                    Oscar de la Hoya and Diego Corrales had a longer reach than him. Zab Judah's was the same. Incidentally, McGregor's was only 2 inches longer. Margarito is an inch longer. The only person who would fit your category would probably be Paul Williams and maybe Erislandy Lara. One has a great jab the other one so so. You're using a fight with McGregor to try and establish a blue print to beat one of the best boxers in the last 20 years. It was an awkward style but it was non threatening. Obviously it wasn't a factor in the fight because of the outcome. It doesn't matter if you're a fan or how many hours of videos you watched. When you make comments like McGregor clearly out boxed Mayweather (without any pretext) I don't have guess your knowledge.

What IF you didn't make the post but just kept your "knowledge" to yourself.
                    They may have had a longer 'reach' than Floyd Mayweather Jr. However, I doubt either of those mentioned boxers actually had longer arm length than Mayweather.

Anyway, by 'out-boxed', I meant Mayweather lost the rounds in which he got out-boxed by Connor McGregor in. I had Mayweather behind in the scorecards coming to the 4th round. Considering it was McGregor's debut, then that was a very impressive feat and he would've won had the bout been a 4 round contest since even Mayweather's debut bout was a 4 round contest. I'm being objective and judging both Mayweather and McGregor by the same standards which applied in their debut boxing bout. The match was decided by McGregor's lack of stamina mainly and not his boxing style.

I wanted to share my ideas because this is a pubic boxing forum. This idea is open for debate and I am in no way insinuating that my idea is the undisputed truth here. If you disagree, I respect that but others are free to form their own conclusion from what I wrote in this thread.

Another point I'd add is that none of those boxers you've mentioned box using the style that McGregor uses in terms of the stance he takes (extended lead hand). So again, Mayweather is feat-less against elite opposition using that style so nobody can infer with any degree of certainty how he would perform against such boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      Do you think he didn't fight many guys like that because there aren't many men from 130-147, where he fought the bulk of his career, that are tall with longer arms than since Floyd has an unusually long reach for someone his size?
                      Mayweather didn't really fight boxers like that but I am in no way blaming or criticizing him for not doing so. Since the opportunity was either scarce or non-existent. So not his fault!

Comment

Working...
                      X