Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tunney vs. Greb I. Gene's only professional defeat.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunney vs. Greb I. Gene's only professional defeat.

Renowned historian Mike Casey loves thinking fighters and as such Gene Tunney is high on his list.

The following is an excerpt from this site: http://www.grandslampage.net/4436.html

It's a great read containing Tunney's own vivid explanation of his only professional loss:

"Tunney never wavered when the going got tough, not even after receiving a brutal lacing from the great Pittsburgh Windmill, Harry Greb. Gene might just as well have been tossed into a threshing machine on that torrid New York night in the spring of 1922, the only time he was officially beaten in his 87 recorded battles against excellent opposition.

It would be no exaggeration to describe Tunney’s defeat as a pulping, for he was horribly cut and mauled as he reeled as much from the combined effects of adrenaline and alcohol poisoning in his stomach as from Greb’s ferocious attack.

As Gene would recall in later years, the problems started in the run-up to the fight. “Whilst training for the Greb match, which took place just four months after the Battling Levinsky match, I had the worst possible kind of luck. My left eyebrow was opened and both hands were sorely injured. I had a partial reappearance of the old left elbow trouble, which prevented my using a left jab. Dr Robert J Shea, a close friend who took care of me during my training, thought that a hypodermic injection of adrenaline chloride over the left eye would prevent bleeding when the cut was re-opened by Greb. At my request he injected a hypodermic solution of novocaine into the knuckles of both hands as well. We locked the dressing room door during this performance.

“George Engle, Greb’s manager, wanting to watch the bandages being put on, came over to my dressing room and found the door bolted. He shouted and banged. We could not allow him in until the doctor had finished his work. Getting in finally, he insisted that I remove all the bandages so that he could see whether I had any unlawful substance under them. I refused. He made an awful squawk, ranting in and out of the room. I became angry. Eventually I realised Engle was only trying to protect his fighter, and if I let it get my goat that was my hard luck. Moreover, his not being allowed into the dressing room made the situation look suspicious. I unwound the bandages from my hands and satisfied George that all was well.”

All was not well, however. Tunney’s problems had just begun and the doctor’s injections only served to endanger Gene even more when the perpetual motion machine that was Harry Greb started firing. Tunney quickly stumbled into a nightmare, as he would recall in typically clinical detail: “In the first exchange in the first round, I sustained a double fracture of the nose, which bled continually until the finish. Toward the end of the first round, my left eyebrow was laid open four inches. I am convinced that the adrenaline solution that had been injected so softened the tissue that the first blow or butt I received cut the flesh right to the bone.

“In the third round another cut over the right eye left me looking through a red film. For the best part of twelve rounds, I saw this red phantom-like form dancing before me. I had provided myself with a fifty per cent mixture of brandy and orange juice to take between rounds in the event I became weak from loss of blood. I had never taken anything during a fight up to that time. Nor did I ever again.

“It is impossible to describe the bloodiness of this fight. My seconds were unable to stop either the bleeding from the cut over my left eye, which involved a severed artery, or the bleeding consequent to the nose fractures. Doc Bagley, who was my chief second, made futile attempts to congeal the nose bleeding by pouring adrenaline into his hand and having me snuff it up my nose. This I did round after round. The adrenaline, instead of coming out through the nose again, ran down my throat with the blood and into my stomach.

“At the end of the twelfth round, I believed it was a good time to take a swallow of this brandy and orange juice. It had hardly gotten to my stomach when the ring started whirling around. The bell rang for the thirteenth round; the seconds pushed me from my chair. I actually saw two red opponents. How I ever survived the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth rounds is still a mystery to me. At any rate, the only consciousness I had was to keep trying. I knew if I ever relaxed, I would either collapse or the referee would stop the brutality.”

The punishing loss to Greb produced what was probably the greatest example of Gene’s single-mindedness. Taking to his sick bed, he plotted a way to beat Harry with all the attention to detail of a pernickety draughtsman. There was no room for self-pity in Tunney’s game plan for climbing life’s ladder. One wonders if Gene even understood that emotion. “Well, Harry you were the better man tonight,” he told Greb after their classic first encounter. Tunney’s use of the word ‘tonight’ was quite intentional. As he later admitted with quiet coldness, “I meant that literally.” The two titans of the ring would clash four more times, and while it is something of a myth to say that Gene mastered Harry, Tunney was certainly the overall victor. Greb would later say, “I have boxed Dempsey and Tunney. You never know how good Tunney is until you box him.”

After the Greb mauling, Gene’s chief second and manager, Doc Bagley, made a decision that must surely rank with Gene Klein’s famous refusal to take a slice of the Beatles cake. Mr Klein, some will recall, felt that the Fab Four were nothing more than a fleeting fad. Doc Bagley was of the opinion that Tunney would never be the same again after being cut to pieces by the whirring blades of the Pittsburgh Windmill. One wonders if the Doc ever sat down and engaged in the masochistic exercise of estimating his lost fortune.

Somebody else thought differently. Canny old boxing stalwart Billy Roche sidled up to British reporter Jimmy Butler one day in Paris and said to him, “This youngster Tunney has got brains, Jimmy. Mark my words, he’s going to be a crackerjack – and one of these days he’s going to lick Dempsey!”

Great post as always Bat!

In the very informative book "Tunney" by Jack Cavanaugh, Tunney says that when he fought Greb, he never saw so many punches coming so fast from so many different angles. Tunney said it was like walking into a room with shelves upon shelves of shoes stacked really high and all of a sudden, they all fall down on you.

That's a lot of punches!

Comment

that greb guy was a beast, wasn't he blind in one eye and still kicking ass. It's funny to because his sparring videos are so unimpressive yet you see these big victories on his resume. He probably was an animal once he got in the ring.

Comment

Tunney had two other close calls with Greb also.

BoxRec.com had the Tunney-Loughran fight as a loss for Tunney until it was changed to a no decision.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=212178
        Here's a thread I made about it.

I heard a good book was made about Greb's career recently, named ‘The Fearless Harry Greb. Biography of a Tragic Hero of Boxing’.

According to the book 4 fights of Greb's were filmed (one fight against Tunney, the fight against Mickey Walker, the two fights against Tiger Flowers) but the films detoriated over time and became unwatchable. What a shame.
        Last edited by TheGreatA; 02-18-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
          In the very informative book "Tunney" by Jack Cavanaugh, Tunney says that when he fought Greb, he never saw so many punches coming so fast from so many different angles. Tunney said it was like walking into a room with shelves upon shelves of shoes stacked really high and all of a sudden, they all fall down on you.

That's a lot of punches!
          Thanks Terry. Nice analogy to help understand why Greb was known as the human windmill.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
            Tunney had two other close calls with Greb also.

BoxRec.com had the Tunney-Loughran fight as a loss for Tunney until it was changed to a no decision.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=212178
            Here's a thread I made about it.

I heard a good book was made about Greb's career recently, named ‘The Fearless Harry Greb. Biography of a Tragic Hero of Boxing’.

According to the book 4 fights of Greb's were filmed (one fight against Tunney, the fight against Mickey Walker, the two fights against Tiger Flowers) but the films detoriated over time and became unwatchable. What a shame.
            A shame indeed.

Maybe that's why it's impossible to find footage of old fights although it's clear that they were filmed, since they were shown in cinemas.

BTW I watched the James Jeffries - Sailor Tom Sharkey today from 1898. I think that's the oldest fight I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by BatTheMan View Post
              A shame indeed.

Maybe that's why it's impossible to find footage of old fights although it's clear that they were filmed, since they were shown in cinemas.

BTW I watched the James Jeffries - Sailor Tom Sharkey today from 1898. I think that's the oldest fight I've seen.
              I've also seen Jeffries' fight against Sharkey and another fight of his against Ruhlin. Unfortunately Jeffries' training footage is the only clear film we have of him in his prime and he looks very impressive there indeed.

The oldest fight I've seen is Fitzsimmons vs Corbett from 1897. I have a clearer version of the knockout on my computer.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 02-18-2009, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I've also seen Jeffries' fight against Sharkey and another fight of his against Ruhlin. Unfortunately Jeffries' training footage is the only clear film we have of him in his prime and he looks very impressive there indeed.

The oldest fight I've seen is Fitzsimmons vs Corbett from 1897. I have a clearer version of the knockout on my computer.

Oh yeah that's right. The famous solar-plexus punch fight.
                Last edited by BattlingNelson; 02-18-2009, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Machine,
                  Thanks for posting the video. Always fascinating to see the old timers.

Comment

Working...
                  X