No announcement yet.

The Greatest Sportsman Ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest Sportsman Ever

If all members of Boxing Scene had to choose which guy is the Greatest sportsman ever, who would you choose?
    Just to aid your subconscious, i picked up a few names - its wholly up to you to rearrange them in your desired order or pull out some new names altogether.

Muhammad Ali - Boxing
    Babe Ruth - Baseball
    Wayne Gretzky - Ice Hockey
    Michael Jordan - Basketball
    Tiger Woods - Golf
    Lance Armstrong - Cycling
    Pele - Soccer
    Jim Thorpe - Football
    Jesse Owens - Track And Field
    Ayrton Senna - Motor Racing
    Pete Sampras - Tennis
    Michael Phelps - Swimming
    Don Bradman - Cricket

I hope u guys have noticed that i didn't mention two guys of the same sport, i.e I automatically presumed that they are the best of their sport. Needless to say, you may have different opinions.
    Last edited by Devroy Jones; 05-13-2011, 05:46 AM.

Muhammad Ali...

Put Sugar Ray Robinson in please.
    Last edited by Barn; 05-13-2011, 05:52 AM.

Comment

I can understand if you like Patterson, but to put him above Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky Marciano, Jack Dempsey, George Foreman, Jack Johnson, Sugar Ray Leonard,...............? I don't get it.

Comment

I edited my answers. By "Sportsman" I thought you meant Sportsmanship so I suggested Patterson and Arguello who were much better sports and people than Ali.
        Nevertheless It's Sugar Ray Robinson.

Comment

Yes, one could make a case of that. Sugar Ray Robinson - considered by boxing experts worldwide to be even better than Ali. I wont get into that debate since it is not the purpose for which this thread was created. So now, I have two choices -
          1. Replace Ali with Ray Robinson
          ....This one, I'm very reluctant about, this is because I am a bit biased about Ali.

2. Break My Criteria
          ....And put two sportsmen for their sports.

whaddya suggest?

Comment

As far as boxing goes, its all Joe Louis in my opinion. No fighter meant more, did more or sacrificed more for his country and his people.

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson

Comment

Jim Thorpe had an amazing record at nearly everything he tried his hand at. Maybe the best all-round athlete ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Devroy Jones View Post
                  If all members of Boxing Scene had to choose which guy is the Greatest sportsman ever, who would you choose?
                  Just to aid your subconscious, i picked up a few names - its wholly up to you to rearrange them in your desired order or pull out some new names altogether.

Muhammad Ali - Boxing
                  Babe Ruth - Baseball
                  Wayne Gretzky - Ice Hockey
                  Michael Jordan - Basketball
                  Tiger Woods - Golf
                  Lance Armstrong - Cycling
                  Pele - Soccer
                  Jim Thorpe - Football
                  Jesse Owens - Track And Field
                  Ayrton Senna - Motor Racing
                  Pete Sampras - Tennis
                  Michael Phelps - Swimming
                  Don Bradman - Cricket

I hope u guys have noticed that i didn't mention two guys of the same sport, i.e I automatically presumed that they are the best of their sport. Needless to say, you may have different opinions.
                  You know with this being a boxing forum, people will generally pick a boxer.

Comment

Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders deserve a mention IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X