Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali's Chin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else think Frazier hit harder than Marciano?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Peru
      IMO Frazier's left hook very well may have been harder but when it comes to punching Power in either hand Marciano wins...

I'd say Marciano's right straight is about the same as Joe Frazier's left hook in terms of power....

Overall I'd say Marciano hit harder because he had KO power in either hand whereas Frazier had a good left and right but his true power lied in his left hook...but Marciano's left hook was devastating as well...Up there with Fraziers and Dempsey's but I wouldn't say his Left hook is as key as his right straight...but thats up for debate because both of these punches were some of Marciano's most devasting punches...

Ex of the power-

It was Marciano's left hook who Knocked a prime Walcott out cold...Now Walcott doesn't have as high regarded chin as Ali but it was by no means porcealin either...(though punch looks more in the temple area)

But it was his right straight KO'd Joe Louis...Now Joe Louis was a shell of his former self but his chin was still there, he could still take as good a punch as ever..Marciano admitted that he was holding back drastically in this fight (though he modestly said thats not why it went into later rounds)...Rocky was very modest whereas he did hold back because of his respect for Louis he would never say thats why it took him so long....

Last edited by RockyMarcianofan00; 07-10-2006, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Nice way to hype up Ali's chin, but no way.

Frazier doesn't even have the hardest left hook of all time imo. David Tua had a harder left hook, Tommy Morisson had a harder left hook. Maybe Tyson, Ruddock, Liston etc are all in the same league.

Comment

At the same time Joe Frazier was an extremely hard punch and his left hook was just as devastating (and possibely more) then Marciano's....

I mean look-

In conclusion I repeat that I feel Marciano beats Frazier in flat out punching power...The only punch Frazier really beats Marciano in is the Left Hook....Frazier was a hard hitter but his left hook is the killer punch...
          Last edited by RockyMarcianofan00; 07-10-2006, 08:10 AM.

Comment

After watching Ali Frazier 1 (which is a sticky in this forum), i was amazed at how Ali was able to take Frazier's huge left hooks all night.

Yes he eventually went down in the last round, but i honestly dont believe many other heavyweights could have taken that, and survived.

Basically, i think it shows that the Henry Cooper knockdown early on in Ali's career, is almost irrelevant wen discussing Ali's ability to take a punch.

Ali had an amazing and very underrated chin.

And even if a Joe Louis or Marciano were able to catch Ali with their shots, i dont think it would mean the end.
            Ali's punch resistance and toughness is often overlooked IMO.
            Very true; and I would like to add two more words to this synopsis: Earnie Shavers.

Anyone who has ever seen the Shavers fight in '77 and knows 1. how hard Earnie could wallop and 2. how Ali's reflexes had slowed by that point....have no choice but to acknowledge that Ali had one of the best chins of all time. He took a pounding in that fight and was nearly kayoed in round 2...and hurt on countless other occassions; but still found the resolve to come on strong in the final minute of the 15th round and nearly stopped Shavers. Un-be-lieve-able.

Comment

Who, besides Tommyhearns804 or whatever it was, doubted Ali's chin? Most posters on this site regard it as one of the greatest chins in heavyweight history. I wouldn't say it is underrated at all.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG
                Very true; and I would like to add two more words to this synopsis: Earnie Shavers.

Anyone who has ever seen the Shavers fight in '77 and knows 1. how hard Earnie could wallop and 2. how Ali's reflexes had slowed by that point....have no choice but to acknowledge that Ali had one of the best chins of all time. He took a pounding in that fight and was nearly kayoed in round 2...and hurt on countless other occassions; but still found the resolve to come on strong in the final minute of the 15th round and nearly stopped Shavers. Un-be-lieve-able.
                Definatly, Ali took a huge beating from Earnie Shavers. I'm amazed he stayed on his feet especially after he was rocked by a Shavers right.

One of the greatest chins of all time.
                Last edited by Southpaw Stinger; 07-10-2006, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman
                  Nice way to hype up Ali's chin, but no way.

Frazier doesn't even have the hardest left hook of all time imo. David Tua had a harder left hook, Tommy Morisson had a harder left hook. Maybe Tyson, Ruddock, Liston etc are all in the same league.
                  lol, i wasnt trying to 'hype up Ali's chin'.

Just asked a question.

And wtf does ur sig mean? About Tysons height..."and thats wat matters"???

Also, showing pics of Frazier doesnt illustrate any ****in thing.

Comment

lol, i wasnt trying to 'hype up Ali's chin'.

Just asked a question.

And wtf does ur sig mean? About Tysons height..."and thats wat matters"???

Also, showing pics of Frazier doesnt illustrate any ****in thing.
                    lol it shows ali could take his punches, but norton is a diffrent story, he broke alis IRON jaw OH NOES!

Comment

But at the end of all this arguement, George Foreman punches harder than Fraizer, Marciano, and Louis.

Comment

Working...
                      X