Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would a Ali-Foreman II immediate re-match have looked like?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
    I still think Ali would have beaten him by a close but unanimous decision...
    Originally posted by right_hand_lead View Post
    I think Foreman would have paced himself better but would have ultimately been outboxed.
    I couldn't have said it any better myself...

Comment

Its a shame that we never got to see Foreman in his prime. He was basically still a kid when he fought Ali.

I'll tell you what though. People have said that Ali wanted nothing to do with a rematch. Any truth to this?

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
        Its a shame that we never got to see Foreman in his prime. He was basically still a kid when he fought Ali.

I'll tell you what though. People have said that Ali wanted nothing to do with a rematch. Any truth to this?
        Foreman wanted the fight, so you'd think it was Ali's to make. You can be sure it would have made everyone a lot of money. But Don King was the promoter, so who knows what really went on behind the scenes?

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post

The Rumble was a decisive 8th round knockout. There was no reason for a rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            The Rumble was a decisive 8th round knockout. There was no reason for a rematch.
            When an undefeated champion loses to an underdog, that's usually a good enough reason for a rematch. Especially when there is money to be made.

Comment

Foreman's loss to Jimmy Young put an end to any talk of a rematch. Mind you, ali didn't exactly do too well against Jimmy Young either ...

If there had been a rematch I think alot depends on the timing. An immediate rematch and Ali wins by either a late KO or UD. One at or around the time of the Jimmy Young fight ... my guess is Ali by close decision. Much later than that and it becomes Foreman by close decision ... push it further still, say to the spinks fights and it becomes Foreman by KO.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                When an undefeated champion loses to an underdog, that's usually a good enough reason for a rematch. Especially when there is money to be made.
                I always thought in the old days when a champion lost he got a rematch no matter what. I doubt Foreman would have won. But, he should have had the opportunity. Stylistically, I don't think Ali would have had any serious worries. However, if young Foreman somehow had the form of old Foreman he may've...

Comment

Working...
                X