Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here been laid off before? Damn, this sucks......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Always View Post
    The whole "security of tenure" thing got blown out the window. They said that I have had a lot of complaints about the work Ive been doing. When I asked to show me proof, she just told me that her mind was made up, and that it is what it is. They showed me no proof. Now the manager that I have been having problems with for years, was riding me hard, making complaints up, and I had a feeling that she was trying to make me quit. When I went in there, she had two pages of complaints from the route manager, and that was the only ammo she had.

As far as the 5 weeks of severance, I dont know why it was only 5 weeks. The company was just a little mom and pop pool company with 15-18 people working there, so there was no "Official" severance package. They down sized by a few people, and I was one of them. She told me that she wasnt even legally obligated to give me that, but since I have been there so long, busted my ass for them, and because she really personally liked me, that she was gonna give me that.
    I'm sure there's a labor law in Texas regarding severance pay whether it's a small or a big company as long as the company is legal. I'm assuming that the company is paying you a week salary for every year of service that you have rendered, whether this is within the operation of Texas law is the big question. I advice you to consult someone who's familiar with Texas labor law regarding this matter. Furthermore, ask if your security of tenure has been violated. You are suppose to be protected by law and nobody can just kick you out of employment without a legal basis.

Comment

I haven't been laid off, I've always beat them to the punch if there was a problem between the employer and myself.
      Wishing you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do!!

Comment

Good luck Always. And with the wife being able to support that's a great thing as well. Times are hard but get harder when you give up out the gate. Good luck!

Comment

Damn that's not good dude.

Still, you have the freedom now and the finances to pursue your own dreams, and maybe become your own boss.

You sound like you're passionate about what you do as well which goes a long way in any walk of life. I'm sure your pool repair company will do well.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
            I'm sure there's a labor law in Texas regarding severance pay whether it's a small or a big company as long as the company is legal. I'm assuming that the company is paying you a week salary for every year of service that you have rendered, whether this is within the operation of Texas law is the big question. I advice you to consult someone who's familiar with Texas labor law regarding this matter. Furthermore, ask if your security of tenure has been violated. You are suppose to be protected by law and nobody can just kick you out of employment without a legal basis.
            Both severance pay and wages in lieu of notice appear to be up to the employer's discretion unfortunately (or what was previously agreed upon.) He is supposed to get his final check within 6 days though.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/severance_pay.html

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte...s.html#ui-wiln

Sorry to hear it Htown, best of luck either starting your own business or finding another job.
            Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Yeah the company I was with for 9.5 years went out of business at the end of last year. Totally sucked. I only got 1 week of severance pay. The owner would have liked to do more but I guess he just really couldn't.

Luckily I had over 3 weeks of vacation saved up so I had over a month's pay to hold me over until I found my new job. I was out of work for 1 month until I got a job, which wasn't bad at all IMO. I didn't even have to go on unemployment.

Anyway, good luck man and sorry to hear about that. You're good at your trade so I'm sure you won't have much trouble starting your own thing.

Comment

No but I've never worked full time

7000 sound like very little capital to start a business

Comment

You're in a position in which you got nothing to lose my friend, and thankfully you have a wife that has your back! go for it! Once you begin getting referred and your customer base begins overlapping you'll be back on your feet! I wish you the best! That's a great low risk business right there.

Comment

I was unemployed for 2 months when I finally found a job with a local law firm. I worked for them for 2 months as a legal assistant. They came under investigation and cut their staff 75% in one day. I was let go in the first batch and put my resume out the same day. I ended up getting a call the same day asking for an interview the following day. I got the job and have been working their since.

I was pretty worried because I was looking for a job for 2 months and barely got any call backs, but the experience I acquired helped a lot.

Keep looking, you'll land something.

Comment

Originally posted by бохея View Post

7000 sound like very little capital to start a business
                      not doing what he was thinking. he doesn't need an office, probably no employees so basically it's a matter of him getting his name out there and providing a great service.

Comment

Working...
                      X