• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN UK: Mayweather hits out at lack of American support

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/90482.html

Mayweather hits out at lack of American support
    ESPN staff
    May 13, 2011« Stokes frustrates Somerset, nervy wait for Warwickshire | Wozniacki digs deep to see off Jankovic, Azarenka ousted »

Floyd Mayweather Jnr has not fought in over a year © Getty Images
    Enlarge
    Related Links
    News: Pacquiao camp gives Marquez Monday deadline
    Features: Pacquiao showing signs of decline
    News: Pacquiao frustrated in victory against Mosley
    News: Mayweather will fight me when I'm past it - Pacquiao
    News: Khan fires warning to Mayweather
    Profile: Floyd Mayweather Jr. | Manny Pacquiao
    Floyd Mayweather Jnr has suggested that he is currently unwilling to fight Manny Pacquiao because he feels it would be a no-win situation for him.

The American, widely regarded as one of the sport's greatest ever boxers, has long been linked with a super-fight against Pacquiao - who is also a champion at multiple weight classes.

But negotiations for a bout have yet to reach fruition, as both sides have increasingly angered the other with demands ranging from the money involved to the drugs testing required.

And, in a candid interview with Fighthype.com, Mayweather hinted that he feels he lacks support from the American public, who are keen to criticise him in any way they can. As a result, he feels he would stand to lose everything - most notably his unbeaten record - and win nothing were he to step into the ring with Pacquiao, even if he won.

"I like the Filipino people. The reason why I like the Filipino people is because the Filipinos, they're going to stand behind him [Pacquiao] win, lose or draw. They're going to stand behind him," Mayweather said.

"If the fight ever does happen, once I beat him - as far as with the media, there's going to be a lot of excuses; there's always excuses - but his people will still love him unconditionally.

"The black American race, we don't have that."

The 34-year-old, whose last fight came over a year ago against Shane Mosley, believes he has been unfairly criticised by those who should be his biggest supporters - contrasting his own treatment with that of other sportsmen, including baseball star Barry Bonds, who admitted to steroid abuse during his record-setting career.

Mayweather is also keen to preserve his long-term health.

"They say Floyd Mayweather is scared of Manny Pacquiao, but I think my country - and even [television channel] HBO, who I stayed loyal to - should stand up and say 'Hey, you're not giving Barry Bonds a hard time for anything'," he said.

"My health, my well-being and my mind is more important than money. I'm not 21 any more. I'm older, I'm wiser. It's very important for me to spend time with my children."

One place Mayweather could end up meeting Pacquiao, however, is in the courts - as the Filipino sues his potential opponent for defamation over various drug-related claims he made while the pair were in serious negotiations over a contest.

"Not once did I say Manny was taking something," Mayweather said. "Then we tell them we got to take the [drugs] tests, and suddenly, he's suing us!

"But it is what it is. We're going to go to court and fight whatever we have to fight."

you made your bed now sleep !!!!

Comment

you cant ask for respect floyd, you have to earn it.

Comment

maybe if you stopped acting like a giant **** you'd have more support. Could have gone the sugar ray leonard approach and americans would have loved you, instead of throwing money at people, acting foolish, having more court cases per year than fights, etc.

Comment

ummm......ok

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
            maybe if you stopped acting like a giant **** you'd have more support. Could have gone the sugar ray leonard approach and americans would have loved you, instead of throwing money at people, acting foolish, having more court cases per year than fights, etc.
            ^^^^ LOL!!

Comment

come to Holland, Floyd. I will give you love !!

Comment

Orcs will always support mayweather, paquiao looks like a pesky elf to us!

Comment

So you need people to worship a win over Pacquiao to consider it an accomplishment? Simply winning and knowing you're the best in the world isn't enough?

That's actually kind of sad, to need to feel loved like that. I'm a Mayweather guy, I love how he fights, and so hearing something like that is even more...upsetting, I guess. You hate to see someone at their most vulnerable point but with everything going on in his life it seems he's reached it. I just hope it doesn't end poorly.

Comment

Ummm ok Floyd...so one interview you trash your fans because they don't pay your bills (which is such a BS remark) and now you cry about not getting Support by the American public?

Comment

Working...
                    X