No announcement yet.

Monzon's and Hagler's records compared

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monzon's and Hagler's records compared

Lets see how they stand head to head. Hagler's 5 best wins were Hearns, Hamsho, Antuofermo, Roldan and Minter. Hearns broke his hand as we know in the first round, so it makes you wonder what if? Hamsho was def a good boxer and one of Hagler's best wins. Antuofermo, he was an undersized middleweight brawler with some technical skills, might've been somewhat overated at the time. Roldan was a good puncher with boxing skills but relatively unproven on world stage and he knocked Hagler down. Alan Minter beat Antuofermo twice and this was another impressive victory for Marvelous.

Now to Escopeta Monzon and his best 5 wins. Griffith, Benvenuti, Valdez, Briscoe and Napoles. Griffith was def past prime and his best weight was 147 beyond question, but he DID beat Benvenuti as a mw and still had some fire left in him. He proved that by going 29 rounds with Monzon altogether. Benvenuti is Monzon's best win however, without a doubt. Tho he had suffered a few defeats before their first fight (one by close dec. to Griffith, one to Dick Tiger at 165 pounds and one by injury to Tom Bethea, whom he koed in the rematch) Nino was still at the top of his game and one of the best p4p fighters in the world.. In the second fight he looked pretty game to me tho many say he was past it-fine. Valdez was a very strong and good mw with plenty of power. Briscoe was one of the hardest hitters in the game, altho he was far from p4p material in terms of skill. Still gave Monzon a hard time and managed to drop him. Last but not least comes Napoles, who was, unlike Griffith, a welter who didn't belong among middleweights. Tho he made a valiant effort, he was chanceless and had to quit after 7 rounds.

So, what does that spell then? We can conclude that Monzon beat more great fighters, while not all of them were at their best, while Hagler beat lesser fighters mostly (except for one) but they were all prime. At least to my knowledge. So I would rate Monzon a bit above Hagler.
    Last edited by Pastrano; 04-29-2011, 01:41 PM.

Good post. In terms of compitition I still give a razor thin nod to Marvin, but I still see your reasoning for having it the other way. Head to head, I think its Hagler. Very few could handle the pressure when he decided to bring it.

Comment

My question to you is.

Once Andre Ward literally rapes Abraham & Bute and has a war with Glenn Johnson, would you still rank Calzaghe higher just because he beat the better fighters Hopkins & Roy Jones although they were obviously past it? Yet Ward is beating all these prime fighters that aren't as great but are still prime?

In my eyes once Andre Ward wins the super 6 and defeats Bute he will be the greatest super middleweight of all time and be well ahead of Calzaghe. I'd take the wins over prime lesser fighters then great fighters past their prime. I'm not hating on Monzon, I would just put Hagler slightly higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
        My question to you is.

Once Andre Ward literally rapes Abraham & Bute and has a war with Glenn Johnson, would you still rank Calzaghe higher just because he beat the better fighters Hopkins & Roy Jones although they were obviously past it? Yet Ward is beating all these prime fighters that aren't as great but are still prime?

In my eyes once Andre Ward wins the super 6 and defeats Bute he will be the greatest super middleweight of all time and be well ahead of Calzaghe. I'd take the wins over prime lesser fighters then great fighters past their prime. I'm not hating on Monzon, I would just put Hagler slightly higher.
        First of all, a guy who went life and death with BIKA does not RAPE Bute. And second, if Ward beats Bute, Froch and Johnson, then he'll come right up with Calz. But I doubt he will. And its not just about who you beat, longevity also matters. I doubt that Ward will stand up so well against the test of time. But that remains to see. Monzon beat prime Valdez and prime Benvenuti (1st fight anyway). Both those guys stand head and shoulders above the aforementioned Bute, Froch and Johnson, especially Benvenuti.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
          First of all, a guy who went life and death with BIKA does not RAPE Bute. And second, if Ward beats Bute, Froch and Johnson, then he'll come right up with Calz. But I doubt he will. And its not just about who you beat, longevity also matters. I doubt that Ward will stand up so well against the test of time. But that remains to see. Monzon beat prime Valdez and prime Benvenuti (1st fight anyway). Both those guys stand head and shoulders above the aforementioned Bute, Froch and Johnson, especially Benvenuti.
          Well no *****. Nobody would ever dare say Froch, Johnson or Bute is better then those guys.

And yes Ward can and will rape the ***** out of Bute.

My point though I was trying to make is I'd take a few wins over less great prime fighters then a few wins over past prime fighters. It might look better on paper to have the bigger names on your resume but I think when a true boxing fan looks back the better wins would definitely be the prime fighters. For example, I'd rather have Ward defeat Dawson or Pascal then have him beat up Roy Jones at this point.

And longevity don't mean ***** when you have 2 guys with 20 title defenses in the same weight class.(Joe & Svette.) Obviously theres some ducking and vagina problems going on there.

I slightly have Hagler above Monson.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarry
            very good post Pastrano.. you are a very good poster who has watched the fights like myself, so it is good to read your posts as i understand and agree with you on the analysis which you make. it's far better than trying to debate with a guy who's only knowledge of those fights is boxrec.
            Thank you very much. I'm also a fan of Jerry Quarry.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
              Thank you very much. I'm also a fan of Jerry Quarry.
              I don't know anyone who isn't.

Shame he came along when he did.

Comment

lol ward is struggling with guys calzaghe schooled 10 years ago. Fact is calzaghe straight terrorized the SMW division. Calzaghe was also past it when he fought your idols bhop and RJJ, schooled em both on their home soil, in front of their family, and theres nothing you can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  I don't know anyone who isn't.

Shame he came along when he did.
                  Yea and Smokin' Joe said if he had less soft skin and was less prone to cuts, he'd become a champ. Bless Joe, he's so honest!

Comment

Mr Quarry, you feel Monzon's pressure would back up Hagler? With all due respect please name once Hagler got backed up?

Comment

Working...
                    X