Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavyweight champ 'Fat Andy' Ruiz has a plan to slim down for rematch with AJ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavyweight champ 'Fat Andy' Ruiz has a plan to slim down for rematch with AJ

When Andy Ruiz Jr. steps into the boxing ring for his inevitable rematch against Anthony Joshua, fans of the famously flabby boxer might be disappointed.

“I want to be more toned,’’ said Ruiz, who became the first Mexican heavyweight champion when he knocked out Joshua on June 1 in New York. “Just shock the world even more, you know? I’ll have more ability, more speed, more power if I turn the little flab I have into muscle.

Andy Ruiz, weighing in at 261 pounds, celebrates beating Anthony Joshua in a heavyweight title match.
    Andy Ruiz, weighing in at 261 pounds, celebrates beating Anthony Joshua in a heavyweight title match. (Photo: Frank Franklin II, AP)
    “I’m not trying to be with six-pack abs and big muscles and all that. None of that, you know. But just look a little different and more lean.’’

Negotiations for the rematch against Joshua continue, and Ruiz said the hangup is where to stage the fight. But whether it’s held in London, New York or another locale, Ruiz said, his body won’t be jiggling like it used to.

Ruiz, who has been referred to as "Fat Andy'' and "Fat Boy,'' said he hasn’t eaten a Snickers bar since the night of his historic victory. (His father used to feed Ruiz Snickers bars between rounds, and Ruiz said he used to eat three to four a week.)

And the other day, during a phone interview with USA TODAY Sports, Ruiz noted he was eating a club sandwich and chicken noodle soup.

“That’s something I’m working on now, choosing the right foods,’’ Ruiz said. “If not, I would be eating a three-patty hamburger with bacon and all kinds of cheese.

“People need to understand that I came this far being chubby and all that. Imagine how far I could go actually being in good shape and looking good.

“It’s going to work in my advantage. I know it’s going to work. I’m going to feel a lot better and have more ability.’’

When Ruiz fought the sculpted Joshua at Madison Square Garden, he weighed 267 pounds.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...wn/1862703001/

He seems to be bothered by his appearance. He shouldn’t be. He’s the heavyweight champion of the world who cares what he looks like.

Comment

Your heart is in the right place Andy but get a nutritionist for pity’s sake. A club sandwich and chicken noodle soup isn’t a big step up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wacho View Post
        He seems to be bothered by his appearance. He shouldn’t be. He’s the heavyweight champion of the world who cares what he looks like.
        Obviously he cares and would like to live a healthier lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that. I wish him the best

Comment

The most shocking thing about the article is that he thinks he only has a little flab. If he tries to lose that weight before the Joshua fight it will be a big mistake. Losing weight fast loses a lot of muscle along with it.
          Last edited by Robbie Barrett; 07-29-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
            The most shocking thing about the article is that he thinks he only has a little flab. If he tries to lose that weight before the Joshua fight it will be a big mistake. Losing weight fast loses a lot of muscle along with it.
            From the way ruiz dominated their last fight he could get an arm removed and still defend his titles

Comment

Originally posted by mjbjst View Post
              From the way ruiz dominated their last fight he could get an arm removed and still defend his titles
              Losing and getting dropped before Joshua made the mistake of trading to finish him off is Ruiz dominating?

Fat boy knows he's in trouble, him trying to get out of the fight and talking about changing his body shows it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                Losing and getting dropped before Joshua made the mistake of trading to finish him off is Ruiz dominating?
                Dropped four times and lost almost every round including the round he dropped ruiz

Comment

Originally posted by mjbjst View Post
                  Dropped four times and lost almost every round including the round he dropped ruiz
                  He got hurt and didn't recover. When he drops fat boy in the rematch he won't make the same mistake, he'll slowly break the fat boy down.

Comment

Originally posted by Wacho View Post
                    He probably took a lot of heat on social media etc after becoming champion. When he was a relative unknown, there was probably a whole lot less people making fun of his physique. Being constantly barraged with negative comments would get to anyone at some point.

Comment

Working...
                    X