No announcement yet.

I Think It's Time to Drop the P4P Mythical Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
    And yes, I'm happy to say this on the very day Ward gets bumped up based on a fight he didn't win just because RG lost.

All that aside, we're talking about a title that can't be won inside the ring unless circumstances happen to pan out. RG got it because Mayweather retired. Ward won it because RG lost. How do you even claim a victory in that?

It's all BS and can never be proven. It's as bad as mythical match-ups. You can talk about them from now but no one will ever know. It's useless.
    ... Well, when ranking guys P4P, they are also using that "+/- ratio", which is thought to represent a "qualitative/quantitative measure"...

Comment

Its good fun to debate and talk about but its ultimately meaningless other than for promotional purposes.

Unless you have a lifetime of experience in the sport then trying to judge the talents of a 115lber in comparison to a 200+lber is impossible. Even with that experience you can still be wildly wrong.

As long as its just a bit of fun debate over an abstract concept then i dont see any problem. Its a good way to recognise the talent of fighters down the weightclasses. People do take it far too seriously thoigh for sure

Comment

Wasn't P4P invented because of Sugar Ray Robinson? Because he was so dominant he was used as akind of yardstick to measure other fighters. I don't see anyone dominate his era today to come even close. It also breeds complacency, makes fighters (e.g. Canelo) believe the hype and rest on their laurels. BELTS should be the ultimate test of your worth, bring back undisputed champions - I bet Canelo wouldn't have dropped his green if P4P didn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
          But nobody is wasting their time debating who is the best football team, age for age.

Yes, it does mean the 300 lb HW is a better boxer. If they competed at boxing, the HW would win. Therefore he's better. Just as the best men's tennis player is the better tennis player than the best women's tennis player. The person who would win is better. This is common sense.
          You're Saying some 300 lb tomato can HW is a better Boxer than Floyd or Manny? That is just plain ridiculous. We have weight classes for a reason. In your tennis example, of course Serena Williams, the best female tennis player would get dusted by the 200th ranked male tennis player who is probably a Part-Time truck driver. That doesn't mean that dude is a "better" tennis player than her. We have divisions for a reason. #4# is "the best Boxer for his particular weight class".

Comment

It's only ethical to "drop" it because Ward is #1 on every list imaginable huh?

Sorry kiddo, not happening.

Comment

If the fight could have conceivably gone the other way, then simply accept the decision, I don't understand why fans struggle with that.

Comment

Originally posted by ..David.. View Post
                I kind of agree with this ....

And Cmon, its cool people get hyped about it because having a clear p4p guy means we have someone "special" in boxing again, sometimes it takes a while but eventually the ray robinsons, Alis, durans , leonards , chavezes, whitakers, roy jones, tysons, pacquiaos, floyds ( just to name a few ) emerge witnessing a prime p4p fighter could be a thing of beauty for a true boxing fan.

People get carried away because they are imature haha
                Some like Pacman some like Floyd. ( Ali would GOAT here according to most fans ... counting casuals haha )
                Some like LeBron, some like Curry. ( Jordan would be like GOAT in here ).
                Some like C.ronaldo some like messi.
                etc etc...
                Exactly, but actually in this sport we don't have one Chavez, Floyd or Pacquiao in prime, maybe loma has the potential to be on that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                  If the fight could have conceivably gone the other way, then simply accept the decision, I don't understand why fans struggle with that.
                  I'm talking about the concept as a whole. It's not something you actually win in the ring. Ward gets bumped up because RG lost. RG got bumped up because Mayweather retired. Mayweather regained it when Pac got dropped I believe(I could be wrong). Either way, it's not like winning a title. It's all very subjective. I understand debating over it, but it's like mythical math-ups. It's a silly concept.

But hey. Ward's got it now and he'll be there a while I'm sure. It's fine. I just don't see a lot of glory in it.

Comment

If they made GGG p4p#1 you would not have made this thread

Comment

p4p is based on meritocracy. It's what you've done and who you've fought.

Choco didn't turbo it up as he did in The Cuadras bout and the dude got dropped... point is Choco is barely making it at this division. Kovalev was dropped by Boone as was Ward, but Ward didn't find the need to fight him twice...

If people want to say p4p is about skill with the argument that Loma should be top 3, then automatically Rigo should be too. Loma has no one on his resume like Donaire. Rigo nor Ward lost on their second bout as Ward is south of Loma in amateur bouts and Rigo north of amateur bouts than Loma.

Comment

Working...
                      X