No announcement yet.

Going down a weightclass

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b morph View Post
    I fu#kin hate making weight. It’s depressing even. I walk around 150 or so. The weight I should be at is 141 and that’s still too hard. I still wish they had the 147 weight class for novice, but they got rid of that a few years ago.
    yeah man 152 to 165 is a pretty big difference in weight and I'm naturally like right inbetween. If I was a bit taller I'd just stay where I'm at, but think going down is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
      yeah man 152 to 165 is a pretty big difference in weight and I'm naturally like right inbetween. If I was a bit taller I'd just stay where I'm at, but think going down is a good idea.
      Just about everyone cuts weight. I don’t think there’s anyone who doesn’t cut weight. If you don’t cut weight, you’re gonna be facing bigger, taller guys and you’re not gonna have a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
        Just about everyone cuts weight. I don’t think there’s anyone who doesn’t cut weight. If you don’t cut weight, you’re gonna be facing bigger, taller guys and you’re not gonna have a good time.
        Yeah the first guy I fought was technically the weight class up (170 lbs) and was like 6'2", second dude I fought was like 6'4". Think I could've won the first, but was my first fight.
        Won the second fight, but the guy definitely seemed just like the bigger guy in there. Wasn't super athletic or strong like the first guy I fought, but at like 5'9" I'm trying to fight people a little big closer to my height/reach.

Comment

For sanctioned events I was weighing in at 163 fully clothed with shoes on.

Yesterday I weighed in at 156.5 in the morning and 160 at night.
          The reason that I wanted you to weigh-in when you go to sleep and when you wake up is because you would have noticed that you drop a pound and more from just sleeping and waking up...…..Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 02-16-2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

but at like 5'9" I'm trying to fight people a little big closer to my height/reach.
            Cherry Pickin' in the amateurs? …...Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              Cherry Pickin' in the amateurs? …...Rockin'
              Haa I'm down to fight whoever at whatever weight (thus my first matchup with a guy with 4 more years experience, 10lbs heavier and 4 inches taller than me).

Mainly my coaches think its a good idea, I think its do-able and prob closer to what my natural fighting weight would be. Haven't been down that way in a while so we'll see how it goes. Don't really want to get caught in the middle or on the low end and not make it though.

Don't have a lot of dudes over 6ft to spar with at my gym either, so a little difficult to train for ppl with big height/reach advantages. Luckily my last opponent didn't do a very good job at utilizing it.

Comment

Haa I'm down to fight whoever at whatever weight

That's the way you do it...…….Rockin'

Comment

I've just seen some research that says you need to increase your protein intake in order to keep the muscle mass on when dropping weight
                  Yes--the optimal protein intake--if you wish to maximize muscle mass--has an inverse or "see-saw" relationship with total energy intake; in your case I would shoot for roughly 200 grams of protein per day in multiple (4 or more) roughly equally spaced "feedings".

One trick that you may find helpful in the future is to keep sodium and water intake high throughout your diet and to only dramatically lower sodium (and water) in the 24-36 hours before the weigh-in; after which you resume your previous high sodium and fluid intake.

The high sodium intake will cause the body to become accustomed to excreting excess fluid; when you dramatically reduce sodium shortly before the weigh-in the body will continue excreting water at an accelerated pace for a short period of time, allowing you to "pee away" excess bodyweight almost effortlessly.

Needless to say, this technique works well when combined with a switch from a higher carbohydrate diet to a very-low carbohydrate diet in the last few days before the weigh-in.

HOWEVER: I would NOT suggest you try to do this for this fight; this is a technique that you may wish to try in training to see how your body responds; only implement that which you have successfully used in training.

Comment

Hows it going this week? think I'm gonna try to drop 10lbs in the next month or so for no other reason than I feel fat and have gained 10lbs since last summer. Been eating like a pig all winter. Sitting at 150lbs as of last night. Gonna start today with the calorie deficit. I figure writing it down here will keep me honest as well. Hope your meeting your goals man

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
                      Hows it going this week? think I'm gonna try to drop 10lbs in the next month or so for no other reason than I feel fat and have gained 10lbs since last summer. Been eating like a pig all winter. Sitting at 150lbs as of last night. Gonna start today with the calorie deficit. I figure writing it down here will keep me honest as well. Hope your meeting your goals man
                      Going really well this week. Last weekend I ate chipotle on saturday (only thing I ate last week that I didn't prepare), so that was dumb partially because a chipotle burrito weighs so much. So my calorie intake was fine on the day but weight was up a bit because of the burrito.

Have been doing a super low caloric intake day (1500 cals or less) followed by a higher caloric intake day (closer to 2000 calories). Burning 550+ calories each time I run 4 miles (4.25 including cooldown), can't really calculate how many I'm burning during boxing training and sparring but probably 800-1000.

Down to 13.5-14% body fat and down a few lbs. Water % is over 60% as well so could cut out a bit of water intake or stop the creatine and lose a few more.

Will get an official weight waking up tomorrow, but currently waking up at 156. Tomorrow morning I think it'll be closer to 154.5.

Comment

Working...
                      X