Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Roberto Duran rated higher than Sugar Ray Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unknown Champ View Post
    Lightweight prime Shane Mosley lights up Duran imo. Yeah I said it.
    You can say it all you want, doesn't make it right. Because Duran would kick Mosley's ass.

Comment

That Hagler fight versus Duran is the reason why I rate him higher than SRR.

It was actually looking pretty even and that's a blown up lightweight Hagler was fighting.

And yes, Hagler did win. But Duran had this aura about him for me. Like some hustler who you think wouldn't be as smart as he was, to do the things he does, that make a lasting impression in a fight; with how effective they really are.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
        its not based on h2h. its resume vs resume.

srl highlights -
        duran 3x
        hearns 2x
        hagler
        benitez

hagler, benitez and hearns 2 were not quality wins and he lost to duran~
        (benitez is all hype. bfd 'he was young'. hagler was shot and some say he should have won. hearns rematch was a sham)

outside of hearns 1 and duran 2, what else is there

If Benitez was "all hype", what does that makes Duran, who Benitez made look like a rank novice without so much as breaking a sweat?

Comment

I think there pretty much level in terms of resume and i cant really seperate them......head to head leonard is better and if he boxed duran like he did in the 2nd fight duran would lose every time...durans greatness is built up from his lightweight days but he really did have a stinker for a few years after he lost to leonard....lost to lang , struggled with jimmy batten and was soundly beaten by wilfred benitez , was knocked out by thomas hearns as well and i think all those losses is negative point towards his all time rating....it was durans lightweight reign that makes him so high in the rankings and his redemption with davey moore.....duran and leonard are my two favourite fighters

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
            its not based on h2h. its resume vs resume.

srl highlights -
            duran 3x
            hearns 2x
            hagler
            benitez

hagler, benitez and hearns 2 were not quality wins and he lost to duran~
            (benitez is all hype. bfd 'he was young'. hagler was shot and some say he should have won. hearns rematch was a sham)

outside of hearns 1 and duran 2, what else is there
            Leonard beating benitez was not a quality win...are you on drugs....benitez was 37 and 1 draw and was a masterful boxer...leonard dropped benitez 2 times and stopped him the last round ..benitez then went on to win the light middleweight title and won a landslide in beatimg duran...talk sense nappy man...leonard had 1 fight in 5 years and came back to beat marvin hagler who had not lost for 11 years..close fight but leonard deserved the victory.....the hearns rematch was a close fight but hearns did edge it but remember hearsn starched duran ...i can see Duran above Leonard but i can also see leonard above him

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
              They did have a rubber match.

Duran was 105 years old in the rubber match. what does that prove

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                Duran was 105 years old in the rubber match. what does that prove
                The rematch in the second fight, you could clearly see how Duran was so slow, looking like an amateur on trying to cut off the ring. he didn't have foot work in the fight and was all street instincts. He can't cut off the ring on him he had no counter punching and now feinting, just lunging attacks in the No Mas fight because of his weight draining.

Comment

To me, his win over Leonard is better than any of Leonard's wins.

Now you combine that with being the greatest lightweight of all time who moved up in weight and would eventually win a middleweight title. And I'm not even going to touch on the technical aspect about how Duran is one of the most complete, well rounded fighters in the history of boxing.

If Duran is not on a top 10 list, I immediately click away. It's just not credible to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Porter View Post
                    If Benitez was "all hype", what does that makes Duran, who Benitez made look like a rank novice without so much as breaking a sweat?
                    and ??????? thanks for not answering the question, doe

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
                      Leonard beating benitez was not a quality win...are you on drugs....benitez was 37 and 1 draw and was a masterful boxer...leonard dropped benitez 2 times and stopped him the last round ..benitez then went on to win the light middleweight title and won a landslide in beatimg duran...talk sense nappy man...leonard had 1 fight in 5 years and came back to beat marvin hagler who had not lost for 11 years..close fight but leonard deserved the victory.....the hearns rematch was a close fight but hearns did edge it but remember hearsn starched duran ...i can see Duran above Leonard but i can also see leonard above him
                      ok. got it. 1 win at a young age = ATG status
                      you also didnt asnswer the question

Comment

Working...
                      X