No announcement yet.

Viral Video Shows the Extent of U.S. Wealth Inequality

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
    The fact that those "evil" oil companies pay an exceptionally high compensation to their employees isn't exactly proof of your statement inferring that college grads make less money. Surely you know that.

Average Starting Salary For 2012 College Grads: $44,259http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/09/06/2012s-college-grads-start-careers-with-higher-salaries/
    My math is rusty, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't $100,000 more than $42,000? Thats with no student loans to pay and almost no requirements for hiring, so yes if your sole purpose is monetary gain it's much more profitable for a large majority of people to skip college and work a rig.
    Presumably those big businesses pay taxes on those profits. Have you really convinced yourself that our military only exists to profit "big business?"

In the past 20 years the only major contribution I see is fighting goat herders across the world. Unless you're in Germany fighting against a secret Nazi army I'm unaware of.

The average American pays very little, if anything in Federal Income taxes.

Fair enough. You take money from my taxes to fight enemies who've managed 1 attack on U.S soil in their entire existence and they died in the process of doing it.

I'm not a libertarian, I feel the Federal Government should be closer to the size it was under Clinton (about half of what it is now.) Of course it should need a military. Whereas you'd be happy if the FG were twice what it is now, with an almost nonexistent military to protect us from the likes of China and Iran, which I think is idiotic.

I think the U.S government should be shrunk to almost non existent levels and that the U.S could be well protected by a trained militia of civilians. If you can't attack my actual beliefs feel free to create my viewpoints for me.Yes protecting me from China and Iran and Germany and Japan and Brazil and Italy and the U.K and Australia and etc. the people best prepared to defend me are in the U.S not sitting in Europe or South America.

Oh please, go on. Especially if you think that you know something that is too confusing for me.

You stated that it was, I'm only agreeing.

You knew I was a coward? Do tell.

Your beliefs have all been created by someone else. Like you claiming I get my knowledge from Marxist texts and Cornell West because you're so incapable of
    generating an original idea on your own. I don't waste my time with political text of any sort and I'm quite turned off from video news as well.

You were talking about acting nobly and now you're rambling on about "contributions to society." I'd say that's a different goalpost and a rather subjective one.
    It was subjective to begin with which makes saying the goalposts have been moved a ridiculous comment. I'd say if nobody remembers any contribution you've made it's hard to believe you were truly acting nobly.

Comment

• I wonder who makes up that 1% and the remaining 19% that make "The Top"

Give me some names.

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K.A View Post
        My math is rusty, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't $100,000 more than $42,000?
        How about you begin by pointing me in the direction of a rig job that pays 100 grand to start for someone with no experience or education. Then perhaps you could explain to me why starting salaries are the be-all end-all in determining career salaries. The starting salary for an Actuary is about 50K, but the median salary is 130K and the potential is there to surpass a quarter mill. Never mind doctors or lawyers or the obvious fact that people with degrees make considerably more on average than those who don't.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/...oneymag/6.html

Thats with no student loans to pay and almost no requirements for hiring,
        Oh, so now it's "almost" no requirements for hiring.

so yes if your sole purpose is monetary gain it's much more profitable for a large majority of people to skip college and work a rig.
        A large majority (whatever that means) can't very well go to work for oil rigs, can they? Not to mention the fact that salaries for rig workers would plummet if the market for potential workers was flooded.

In the past 20 years the only major contribution I see is fighting goat herders across the world.
        Ah so you narrowed the window to 20 years so as to exclude Desert Storm and then ignored any effect our military (and expenditure in NATO) has had in keeping ourselves and the world (Taiwan, for instance) safe.

Unless you're in Germany fighting against a secret Nazi army I'm unaware of.
        Yes because fighting Nazis was the last time our military was of any use. #Sarcasm (you seem to need these.)

You take money from my taxes
        You've been quite proud of the fact that you don't pay any taxes in the past.

I think the U.S government should be shrunk to almost non existent levels
        Well then you've certainly wasted enough time arguing for huge US gov types like Obama.

and that the U.S could be well protected by a trained militia of civilians.
        Says the guy arguing passionately for gun control in the US.

If you can't attack my actual beliefs feel free to create my viewpoints for me.
        I can only argue against viewpoints you have expressed in the past. When you were on different psych meds perhaps.

Yes protecting me from China and Iran and Germany and Japan and Brazil and Italy and the U.K and Australia and etc. the people best prepared to defend me are in the U.S not sitting in Europe or South America.
        Isolationism doesn't work, I'm afraid. Though I would like to see at least half over overseas bases phased out.

You stated that it was, I'm only agreeing.
        Then you're obviously blind to sarcasm.

Your beliefs have all been created by someone else.
        No I have beliefs based on a lifetime of experiences circling the globe. Looks like you're projecting again.

I don't waste my time with political text of any sort and I'm quite turned off from video news as well.
        Is that why you've asked me in the past to recommend some good political video news shows?

It was subjective to begin with which makes saying the goalposts have been moved a ridiculous comment.
        What is ridiculous is arguing against something subjective ad nauseam without defining it in any way.

I'd say if nobody remembers any contribution you've made it's hard to believe you were truly acting nobly.
        When I dropped out of school 11 years ago to help my grandfather (on the other side of the country) recover from cancer, I would consider that noble. Pardon me if I don't care to make a complete list.
        Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 03-08-2013, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
          How about you begin by pointing me in the direction of a rig job that pays 100 grand to start for someone with no experience or education. Then perhaps you could explain to me why starting salaries are the be-all end-all in determining career salaries. The starting salary for an Actuary is about 50K, but the median salary is 130K and the potential is there to surpass a quarter mill. Never mind doctors or lawyers or the obvious fact that people with degrees make considerably more on average than those who don't.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/...oneymag/6.html

Oh, so now it's "almost" no requirements for hiring.

They require you be physically able.

A large majority (whatever that means) can't very well go to work for oil rigs, can they? Not to mention the fact that salaries for rig workers would plummet if the market for potential workers was flooded.

A large majority of the people who graduate college would have been better off financially had they skipped college and joined a rig. It's not a complicated sentence or thought.

Ah so you narrowed the window to 20 years so as to exclude Desert Storm and then ignored any effect our military (and expenditure in NATO) has had in keeping ourselves and the world (Taiwan, for instance) safe.

Desert storm wasnt against goat herders?

Yes because fighting Nazis was the last time our military was of any use. #Sarcasm (you seem to need these.)

Who else have you been fighting in Germany since then?

You've been quite proud of the fact that you don't pay any taxes in the past.

Well then you've certainly wasted enough time arguing for huge US gov types like Obama.

Says the guy arguing passionately for gun control in the US.[/B]

When I said make up my view points for me, that was also sarcasm. I only didn't pay taxes while I was unemployed, my wife has paid taxes every year since I met her and I've paid in 7 years out of 8. Arguing for Obama? I think EVERY politician is ****, I only found him slightly more acceptable than Mitt Romney. I've actually been attacked in the lounge for stating I disagree with gun control, I do wish nobody had guns to begin with, but that's a different issue.

I can only argue against viewpoints you have expressed in the past. When you were on different psych meds perhaps.

That's not true you're doing a wonderful job at arguing against points you've fabricated for me.

Isolationism doesn't work, I'm afraid. Though I would like to see at least half over overseas bases phased out.

Then you're obviously blind to sarcasm.

No I have beliefs based on a lifetime of experiences circling the globe. Looks like you're projecting again.

Maybe you should only speak on foreign affairs then as I've based mine on actually living in the country I speak about.

Is that why you've asked me in the past to recommend some good political video news shows?

It is exactly why I asked you actually.I asked for new shows because I was against the ones I had previously seen. That sounds exactly what I just said, are you attempting to use that against me in some way?

What is ridiculous is arguing against something subjective ad nauseam without defining it in any way.

When I dropped out of school 11 years ago to help my grandfather (on the other side of the country) recover from cancer, I would consider that noble. Pardon me if I don't care to make a complete list.
          So in your words you didn't have the fortitude to finish college?
          Last edited by A.K.A; 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K.A View Post
            They require you be physically able.
            No seriously, find me this 50 dollar per hour oil rig job that doesn't require any work experience or skill.

I asked for new shows because I was against the ones I had previously seen.
            No, you said you were against the "right wing" shows you had watched.

are you attempting to use that against me in some way?
            If I wanted to use something against you, I'd bring up one of your rants about being this big, scary, crazy dude that hides in his house 24/7 because he can't trust himself being around people.

A large majority of the people who graduate college would have been better off financially had they skipped college and joined a rig. It's not a complicated sentence or thought.
            No it isn't, but it is idiotic and of course incorrect.

Desert storm wasnt against goat herders?
            Are you seriously trying to argue that we shouldn't have rescued Kuwait?

So in your words you didn't have the fortitude to finish college?
            Actually yes, as a matter of fact. I have an Extended Math major with Actuarial Science emphasis and a minor in Business Administration, thanks for asking.
            Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X