No announcement yet.

Shadow Boxing help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow Boxing help?

Hey so i'm completely new here, so i guess i'll say whats up and share a video of me practicing my punches and movement. I never think i'm really good and i'm always pointing out mistakes and things i could improve on. Like for example, i often drop my hands after a while of punching, and i still need to work on my footwork and body punches. Also, i haven't sparred in a long time and i'm pretty much just working out to keep in shape and stay sharp. I started to learn boxing (as well as a more "street-influenced" karate style, all from my dad) when i was younger to stand up to bullys in my middle school, and i've kind of kept it now as a hobby and such. I still want to put up a heavy bag in my garage to keep from paying $60 at the nearest gym, but it's still in the works as my garage is already quite packed.

ANYWAY, here's my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Z7ja84gNc I go on pretty strong until about 3 minutes and then i start to mess around. It also helps to have sound on to kind of explain why i start messing around lol. But i go on strong for longer than what's on the video so i guess it's worth watching. This was also recorded after an hour of intense working out (well, intense imo) so i'm already pretty tired. Check it out if you want and tips are very welcome. And hello again!
    Last edited by Josh_Shing; 05-30-2011, 02:02 PM.

Your right hand is low and your upper body is a little stiff.

Comment

Hmm ok thanks for the tip! Yea i still need to work on using my core more when i punch. But then sometimes i wanna say you can't see it move because my shirt is loose and my body is lean. Do you think my right hand is low when i'm orthodox or southpaw? or both?

Comment

Not bad, it's obvious that your still a newbie but it's also obvious that you've had some training somewhere along your path. It wasn't bad, but you never threw one punch with any real sauce on it. Just laying your arms out there.......

Practice how you fight and you'll fight like you practice. put you in a ring to spar and I'll bet you're gassed after the first round if there is any kind of real action. Not that you couldn't go another round but that for comforts sake you'd rather not.

Throw your shot like you would in a fight. Turn those hips and dig yourself into the gropund when you really want to deliver. It's a common mistake here with amatuers, do something defensive after you throw. Take a side, counter and throw it like you mean it...........Rockin'

Comment

Yea i see what you mean. Thanks for that! I can see now that there wasn't a lot of force behind those punches. It felt firm at the time but i know that there will be more power when i turn my hips with the punch. Basics...

As for my endurance, yea it sucks quite frankly. Honestly, i can remember going at least 4 rounds easily in sparring at a time. Still not a lot, but that's more energy than what i'm showing here. I'd love to go out and get some road work done but it's always raining where i am. I gotta wait till the summer time, then i'll be able to go for a run. Oh and i'm still in school so i try not to go too hard everyday cuz then i'll be too wiped out for homework and reading lol and i already fall asleep when i'm reading! haha

Comment

was good also good to see guys actually giving you good constructive criticism listen to them because its good advice. I hate when people belittle someone because thier new or not good to begin with i knew one kid who was terrible when he first started and now hes got a terrific record, dont let no1 tell you cant do it and keep up the work and practice, practice, practice
            Last edited by Juof; 05-31-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I know it really means a lot! ^That's really a classic michael jordan story, good stuff. And there's no reason to cyber bully and i'm glad i haven't seen that here. Just because we know how to fight it doesn't mean we have to fight all the time everywhere we go. I like this place. And i've been working on throwing with my hips. Not so much with anger but more with determination and resolve. My dad once told me that anger is a false energy and should not be relied on because it clouds your judgement. My punches have always had some sauce cuz i know they hurt when they land, but with better form and focus my punches will have much more kick. Thanks for the tips everyone, i'll probably upload another video some time later when i feel i've improved.
              Last edited by Josh_Shing; 05-31-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Hey what's goin on, thought i'd put up a new vid of me shadow boxing. I was hella bored so i decided to just try some combos and work on footwork and stuff. I also stop midway or so to rip off a loose string from my sleeve lol. Oh and just heads up, i throw in a spinning elbow for the hell of it, and also tried to do something from tekken haha. Comparing to the previous vid up there^ i think i'm doing better with keeping my hands up for the most part and my footwork and body movement is a little better. There's also a butterfly on my back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTRQBYJOwF4

Let me know what you think, any pointers and such and i'll get right on it. This was the first day in a while of shadow boxing fyi, but at least it looks better than what's up there^. And thanks!
                Last edited by Josh_Shing; 08-19-2011, 02:51 AM.

Comment

starting off slow in your shadowboxing routine is all good and dandy but you gotta eventually up the exertion and start really punching and moving, at real speed with real power

Comment

Haha ya know i was actually thinking that at the end of the vid, or maybe it was the other one i took. I'll put up another one in a couple days then with more fire power. I tried to keep the video short to save memory and when my timer went off i was thinking of punching harder. And i noticed my rear hand is a little lazy when i throw it as i don't put much torque into it. Will work on that too.

Comment

Working...
                    X