Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar likely but not signed for UFC 100

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar likely but not signed for UFC 100

Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar likely but not signed for UFC 100

A light-heavyweight bout between UFC hall-of-famer Mark Coleman (15-9 MMA, 6-4 UFC) and "The Ultimate Fighter 1" runner-up Stephan Bonnar (11-5 MMA, 5-4 UFC) could take place at July's UFC 100 event.

However, a source close to Coleman today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) bout agreements have not been signed and the 44-year-old fighter "didn't hear about the fight until this morning."

UFC 100 takes place July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center and is quickly becoming the can't-miss event of 2009.

UFC 100 is scheduled to feature two title bouts: UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar vs. interim heavyweight title-holder Frank Mir (in a title-unification bout) and UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre vs. top contender Thiago Alves. Additionally, "The Ultimate Fighter 9" coaches Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson are also slated to fight at the event.

Coleman, who announced his return to the UFC after an induction into the organization's hall of fame last year, was originally slated to fight Brock Lesnar in his first fight since announcing a retirement in 2006. However, a knee injury forced Coleman out of that UFC 87 fight, and instead, he met Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 93 in January. Coleman kept things close early, but both fighters fatigued as the bout wore on.

Coleman eventually suffered a third-round TKO. It was his fourth loss in his past six fights.

He could now meet Bonnar, who went 2-0 in 2007. However, he started off the 2009 fight season on a sour note when he dropped a unanimous-decision loss in Jon Jones' impressive UFC debut at UFC 94.

Bonnar, who's battled with inconsistency since joining the UFC in 2005, has now lost three of his past five fights. While the fan favorite is unlikely to be dropped from the organization, Bonnar desperately needs a win.

**** fight, neither man is good enough to fight in UFC shows at the moment.

Maybe a fight night show , but thats about it.

Comment

I think it's more to do with the anniversary rather than a legit fight that has implications for the future. Coleman being the first UFC HW champion and a pioneer in its early days and Bonnar being part of the most important fight in the UFC's and MMA's history. Other than that I can't see any other reason for it.

Comment

this better not be on the main card

i have 0 interest in this fight

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
          I think it's more to do with the anniversary rather than a legit fight that has implications for the future. Coleman being the first UFC HW champion and a pioneer in its early days and Bonnar being part of the most important fight in the UFC's and MMA's history. Other than that I can't see any other reason for it.
          To be honest it makes more sense when you look at ait in that way. As long as they dont plan to push the winner on further up the ladder

Comment

I would watch this fight anyday of the week.

Comment

Coleman has undeniable power, but it only lasted about 20 seconds in his last fight. Maybe he should run a mile before this next fight and put the iron down for a minute.

I think Bonner takes this, but Coleman can put it away with a solid right.

Comment

Working...
              X