Gerry Cooney: A Bout Against Doubt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerry Cooney: A Bout Against Doubt

http://www.si.com/vault/1987/06/08/1...-seems-to-know

Very good puncher but somewhat insecure fellow I read an article where him and Larry Holmes actually became friend's

Comment

On the night of June 11, 1982, I was 110 percent behind Larry Holmes. It was such an infected fight, and I didn’t like Gerry. Why? I don’t know – it was very much about picking a side.

But, through the years, listening to Gerry interviews, him talking about his thoughts, his career, his back ground, I really think he deserves the nickname attached to him – Gentleman Gerry.

And my conclusion is, he had became a happier man if he hadn’t had boxing as an occupation. Gerry boxed to fulfill his dad’s wishes, not his own.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
        Very good puncher but somewhat insecure fellow I read an article where him and Larry Holmes actually became friend's
        Cooney is very hard not to like. A genuinely nice person.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
          On the night of June 11, 1982, I was 110 percent behind Larry Holmes. It was such an infected fight, and I didn’t like Gerry. Why? I don’t know – it was very much about picking a side.

But, through the years, listening to Gerry interviews, him talking about his thoughts, his career, his back ground, I really think he deserves the nickname attached to him – Gentleman Gerry.

And my conclusion is, he had became a happier man if he hadn’t had boxing as an occupation. Gerry boxed to fulfill his dad’s wishes, not his own.
          No doubt about that. Maybe too much of a gentleman for boxing. I really admire how he's given back in so many ways to retired boxers. Good guy all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            Cooney is very hard not to like. A genuinely nice person.
            he always was a soft spoken gentleman. as a young kid I was crushed when holmes stopped him as holmes seemed like such a bitter unlikeable guy at the time. its a damn shame cooney didnt have more self confidence. that holmes fight took what little confidence he had away and he was never the same. its a shame they didnt match him with weaver for the title before holmes as hed have had much a better chance of winning. he was just much too green and inexperienced for holmes at the time. that fight ruined him

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              No doubt about that. Maybe too much of a gentleman for boxing. I really admire how he's given back in so many ways to retired boxers. Good guy all around.
              so true. always seems like most of the nicest guys in boxing dont take shots that well. seems like most of the significant champs have always had at least a certain degree of arrogance to them

Comment

I thought Cooney did a pretty good job against Holmes, all things considered.

Reading about Cooney and the whole "great white hype" thing, and what others had said about the fight, I was expecting to see Holmes completely outclass Cooney in a one-sided bout. Cooney did a pretty decent job with his double jab, and did some good bodywork which hurt Holmes at the end of the fourth. Not bad for a relatively green, inactive contender going up against one of the greatest heavyweights to ever lace up the gloves

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
                  I thought Cooney did a pretty good job against Holmes, all things considered.

Reading about Cooney and the whole "great white hype" thing, and what others had said about the fight, I was expecting to see Holmes completely outclass Cooney in a one-sided bout. Cooney did a pretty decent job with his double jab, and did some good bodywork which hurt Holmes at the end of the fourth. Not bad for a relatively green, inactive contender going up against one of the greatest heavyweights to ever lace up the gloves
                  I agree with you. Coony's reaction to the fight is also ironick. Irish cultural attitudes about fighting always seemed to be characterized by the maxim "do the best you can, leave it in the ring, win or lose its the skill, bravery and stoicism displayed in the ring that really makes the man." Irish fighting was always egalitarian in this respect!

For example, I had a Filipino irish friend who went to Ireland and told me this story (his point was that this was typical behavoir)... he was in a pub and some strong built 50-60 year old tough guy was ribbing him about being half Filipino until they went outside and had a go at it...after which time, with a few bruises or so each, shook hands and drank beer as the best of friends the rest of the night.

Obviously I don't want to pigeonhole Coony but thats just an observation and it seems Coony, as you said, had nothing to be ashamed of.

Comment

Gerry and his brief rival Greg Page were alike, in that both fighters were nice guys who fought to appease their old men.

Comment

Working...
                    X