Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Floyd Mayweather beat 10 (future) Hall of Famers ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brandish View Post
    this is awesome bro..did you guys break down if the hofer was in championship form or not. alot of people right off older champions like sweet pea when oscar beat him and when oscar beat chavez at 140 both of those guys were still active champs so oscar should get full credit for them..
    No, we did not. As you see a lot of times "beating a Hall of Famer" doesn't mean that much. For example when Hopkins beat Roy Jones in the rematch, Jones was considered to be past prime as a boxer.
    Same when Roy himself beat Trinidad: both were considered well past it but Tito was so much out of his weight class AND past his prime that it shouldn't count either as "beating a Hall of Famer".
    Or SRR beat Henry Armstrong when Armstrong was past his prime AND way out of his natural weight class.
    Or Roy Jones beat Mike McCallum when McCallum was past his prime.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
      Gatti will get there because of his impact, skillwise he doesn't deserve it. Judah no where near, Hatton and Hernandez would be lucky to make it
      The Hall is not for the best fighters. Its all about influence on boxing. Hatton is easily in. Hatton had maybe the biggest traveling fan base Europe has ever seen. He also wasn't a bad fighter at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by MR. LARRYX
        Floyd has had a great career and his resume is extremely underrated because he is hated..all he fights if top fighters in his divisions coming off of great wins and champions..not fighters coming off of losses at catchweights for vacant titles
        floyds a great fighter and he has a great resume... but your pushing it with the margarito and cotto talk... floyd never wanted to fight margarito... and when asked about cotto after the fight he said, and i qoute... "im going to retire from boxing... im not going to let boxing retire me..."

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

• Originally posted by thatdudespits
          Quote:

Originally Posted by MR. LARRYX

Floyd has had a great career and his resume is extremely underrated because he is hated..all he fights if top fighters in his divisions coming off of great wins and champions..not fighters coming off of losses at catchweights for vacant titles

floyds a great fighter and he has a great resume... but your pushing it with the margarito and cotto talk... floyd never wanted to fight margarito... and when asked about cotto after the fight he said, and i qoute... "im going to retire from boxing... im not going to let boxing retire me..."

*after the hatton fight he was asked about cotto

Comment

• Originally posted by thatdudespits View Post

I disagree with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by raskat
              Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandish

I wonder if anyone has beaten more? pac hopkins roy de la hoya

When I go through their records, I see this:

Roy Jones beat 6 (potential future) Hall of Famers: Hopkins, Toney, McCallum, Virgil Hill, Tarver, Trinidad

Bernard Hopkins beat 6 (potential future) Hall of Famers : Glen Johnson (?), Trinidad, De La Hoya, Tarver, Winky Wright, Roy Jones (rematch)_______I didn't add Pavlik or maybe Jean Pascal cause their careers are still going on.

Oscar De La Hoya beat 5 (potential future) Hall of Famers: Genaro Hernandez, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr, Pernell Whitaker, Hector Camacho Sr, Arturo Gatti.-----I didn't include Mayorga, Fernando Vargas and Felix Sturm and Ike Quartey cause most people would say they are not HOF'ers.

Me and others talked about this subject in the History Section some time ago. We did some research (thanks to users BattlingNelson and Barnburner and IronDanhamza and others) and we came up with this result:
              Ray Robinson beat 10 Hall of Famers
              Henry Armstrong beat 10 Hall of Famers
              Tony Canzoneri beat 9 Hall of Famers
              Ezzard Charles beat 9 Hall of Famers
              Joe Louis beat 8 Hall of Famers
              Tommy Loughran beat 8 Hall of Famers
              Muhammad Ali beat 7 Hall of Famers

Of course this list might not be 100 % correct.
              if arturo gatti is a hall of famer then surely mayorga is

Comment

• Originally posted by tredh
                Quote:

Originally Posted by thatdudespits

I disagree with that.
                how do you disagree with a fact? he turned down 8 million to fight Margarito...

i still believe margarito could have beaten floyd...
                styles make fights...

Comment

if arturo gatti is a hall of famer then surely mayorga is

that is really a very hard topic. Because letting Gatti in the HOF really opens the door also for a lot of other fighters. Mayorga beat Vernon Forrest twice when Forrest was on top of the division after beating Mosley twice. So basically Mayorga was "the man" of the division for a certain time which Gatti never was. And as was mentioned earlier in the thread, if Gatti is in the HOF, then so is Zab Judah and lots of other fighters.
                  That being said, I don't think letting Gatti in devaluates the Hall of Fame at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrismart83 View Post
                    Mosely was past it when he faced Mayweather and was coming off a 16 month lay-off. I dont recall anyone giving him a chance in hell of winning.
                    In answer to the Original posters question, yes Mosely will go down as a HOF'er and Mayweather will have a win over him. Creditable win...not particularly. A win over prime Mosely would of been a whole different story but it wasn't prime Mosely..it was a version of Mosely that never won a fight again and drew with Sergio Mora.
                    wow really??????

Comment

how do you disagree with a fact? he turned down 8 million to fight Margarito...

i still believe margarito could have beaten floyd...
                      styles make fights...

Cause from the story I read it wasn't just 8 mill that he turned down. It was stated that he would fight Margarito for the 8 mill if Arum got him Cotto for 10 mill and De la Hoya for 20 mill. That didn't happen and it was also reported that Arum wanted either a contract extension or options on PBF if he took that fight. So IMO its not as cut and dry as people try to make it seem when it comes down to PBF turning down that 8 mill to fight Margarito.

Comment

Working...
                      X