No announcement yet.

What's up with (mostly white) people taking unemployable degrees in college

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
    working at Starbucks the rest of his life.

Get a parakeet and let the cat kill it. Gotta take pics for da lounge doe
    I'll take pics if that happens.

I'll make sure the parakeet won't die for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
      The elimination of jobs because of machines will also create new jobs. Afterall someone has to build those machines, create the software, and monitor/repair them.
      It'll create jobs, but it's going to create far fewer jobs on a regional level. The companies that produce these machines aren't going to be making factories all over the place. They'll be headquartered and ship out nationally.

For most of these automated jobs you essentially only need 2-3 human beings in the workplace : The manager to oversee the financial transactions, the technician to repair or troubleshoot the machine if it breaks down, and one other worker for oversight/random tasks.

There's a reason we're already seeing dozens of economists pushing for UBI (Universal basic income) and predicting another 2008-like crash within the next decade.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
        These degree are not "unemployable," you need to understand that 1) degrees are versatile and 2) people go to college for different reasons

Poor and working class trying to escape the poverty cycle people would be wise to get into debt to go to school if they get a STEM degree that has very good expected earnings and future employment prospects. They are making a big investment, giving up years of earnings from working full time as well as taking on massive debt, so they need as sure a bet as possible.

HOWEVER, what about the people from middle/upper class whose parents pay for their degree? You know, those white people youre talking about. They can afford to major in something like theater or trombone or whatever because they have options and resources to fall back on. They can try their hand doing something with riskier prospects and still have a cushy landing if it doesn't work out (like the girl in your post).

I used to be a purchasing agent (buyer), a job I got by getting a B.S. in Economics. The senior purchasing agent/manager, who made like 90k, had a B.A. in opera, vocal performance. Exactly as I said: middle class family paid for degree, didn't find any work as an opera singer (he was a ****ty singer), got a job as a buyer through a family friend. Now, he wouldn't have got that job without having SOME degree, so the degree itself was important, but because of his background he could go to college with more general employment goals and still fall into something good.
        this...

This life is more about networking for people who aren't poor....the poor have to invest well and work their ass off to rise.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
          It'll create jobs, but it's going to create far fewer jobs on a regional level. The companies that produce these machines aren't going to be making factories all over the place. They'll be headquartered and ship out nationally.

For most of these automated jobs you essentially only need 2-3 human beings in the workplace : The manager to oversee the financial transactions, the technician to repair or troubleshoot the machine if it breaks down, and one other worker for oversight/random tasks.

There's a reason we're already seeing dozens of economists pushing for UBI (Universal basic income) and predicting another 2008-like crash within the next decade.
          completely true.... all them dey took r jawbs guys will hate bill gates for making them computers...

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
            completely true.... all them dey took r jawbs guys will hate bill gates for making them computers...
            It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Going to be interesting times ahead in the United States and other countries in the global economy over the course of the next decade or so.

Comment

The bigger story behind this "useless degrees" plague is how rapidly automation is taking root in this country and thereby completely eliminating the need for skilled human workers. Machines are becoming cheaper to produce, proving to be more productive than human beings, and are increasingly becoming the accepted norm in many industries.

Many economists are predicting massive unemployment in the United States over the next decade or so as more and more companies look to machines to replace human workers for a variety of trades, skilled and unskilled alike. Everything from fast food workers and cashiers to welders, miners, and mechanics are on the chopping block.

That said, a culinary degree isn't useless at all, it's just limited in demand depending on your location. Sounds to me like your friend's daughter should consider moving somewhere where her skillset would be more appreciated. Culinary arts are huge in most metropolitan areas along either coastline.
              Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
              Should I get a trade job?

I used to work in a pallet factory, and it was lucky for us the boss was too cheap to buy a Viking pallet machine, it would eliminate 4-5 jobs in the nailroom and all he would need is 2 guys instead of a crew of six or seven, one guy to load the nails in the Viking and the other to flip the pallets. that's what automation does. lol, I didn't work in the nailroom, though, I worked on the saw in the cutting room cutting the rails and deck boards

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
              this...

This life is more about networking for people who aren't poor....the poor have to invest well and work their ass off to rise.
              how are you gonna do this when it takes everything you've got just to survive?

Comment

Culinary is fine. #ITT Tech

Gender studies, women studies, liberal arts, theatre, dance are F*k'in worthless though. And usually the people who go FOR them are also useless

I'm middle-class, parents paying for my school, but I'm getting a Comp Sci degree.. Best possible choice there is in today's world, bar medical. Medicine was my 1st choice really, but the appeal was nonexistent...

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
                  I was talking to an officemate and his daughter took culinary in college. He paid for his tuition. She's almost 30 now, unemployed and he is paying for his bills. I think she wants to go to college again. lol

lol at this people thinking college is a hobby. of course maybe 1 in 100 will have a good job, 99 will end up unemployed with these ridiculous, highly unemployable degrees.
                  Why is "mostly white" in your title..

Go look at all the black protesters on campus and you will find hordes of "African studies" "women's history" and a bunch of other crap degrees..

Comment

I used to f#ck this white girl who had some zookeeper degree or some such bs like that. We ain't even have no zoo. And that silly ***** ain't even have a car to drive to no zoo in another city.

Ah man & got me thinking about this perfect f#cking girl I used to f#ck back in the day. She had a f#cking degree in Latin ffs. Outside of the pope idk who the f#ck she was thinking she was getting a job translating Latin for.

Comment

I'm good with computers. What degrees could I get?

Maybe I could work as a medical transcriptionist.

Comment

Working...
                      X