Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Froch-Kessler II was a "Fight of the Year" Candidate? Are you kidding me?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Froch-Kessler II was a "Fight of the Year" Candidate? Are you kidding me?

So I go on this forum today and read the comments about Froch vs Kessler II and 90 % of the people here are saying it was a "Fight of the Year" candidate and it was awesome and this and that. And I hadn't watched the fight yet, so I finally watch it and I saw a good, technical fight. Not more and not less. If this was a "Fight of the Year" then you've got to be kidding me.
    I notice this so many times that people come up with statements like that after a fight for whatever reason. And I don't want to disrespect Froch or Kessler because those 2 guys are high level boxers and real warriors.
    And the fight also was an excellent technical matchup in my opinion. But "Fight of the Year" type of stuff? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS.
    Basically it was a "normal" (meaning "good") fight like every other fight from the super six tournament. Maybe some guys watch the fight on a certain feed or the "UUhs and AAhhhs" of the crowd get them so excited that the beer glass in their hands drops to the floor everytime the crowd goes crazy (for nothing).

Gatti-Ward
    Castillo-Corrales
    Berto-Victor Ortiz

That is FOTY stuff.
    Last edited by Salardo; 05-26-2013, 08:24 AM.

It was better than Ortiz-Berto, definitely. Ortiz-Berto had zero drama after the 6th round. That you mentioned that fight alongside Gatti-Ward and Corrales-Castillo is an insult to those great fights.

I haven't seen many people call it THE fight of the year. Just that it's a candidate, which it is. It had a world class skill level, drastic shifts in momentum, hard punches being exchanged, both guys hurt at some point, was in doubt on the scorecards for most the fight, and had the winner pull off a great 12th round where he nearly stopped the loser, which sealed the fight.

You can't ask for much more.

Comment

It's up there with Bradley vs Provodnikov and Rios vs Alvarado 2

Comment

But to be honest, I think emotional involvement plays a big role in how you see a fight. If you are not emotionally attached to any of the 2 fighters, then you see the fight objectively, but when you are a big Froch or a big Kessler fan, then you are a lot more thrilled when your fighter lands a big punch or you are scared when he gets hurt.
        So at the end of the fight you feel emotionally drained and think you just watched the fight of the century when in reality you saw a fight who is as good as 40 other fights of that certain year.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          It was better than Ortiz-Berto, definitely.
          did you really just say that? Froch-Kessler II was better than Berto-Ortiz? I mean, for real?

Okay.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            It was better than Ortiz-Berto, definitely. Ortiz-Berto had zero drama after the 6th round. That you mentioned that fight alongside Gatti-Ward and Corrales-Castillo is an insult to those great fights.

I haven't seen many people call it THE fight of the year. Just that it's a candidate, which it is. It had a world class skill level, drastic shifts in momentum, hard punches being exchanged, both guys hurt at some point, was in doubt on the scorecards for most the fight, and had the winner pull off a great 12th round where he nearly stopped the loser, which sealed the fight.

You can't ask for much more.
            But Bradley vs Provodnikov has already happened this year. Whilst a good fight, it was nowhere near as good as that, so it can't possibly be a candidate, because there's already been better. "Candidate" implies it's better than any fight to have happened so far this year, and stands a realistic chance of winning it. It wasn't better than anything else already this year, and it doesn't stand a chance of winning it.

Comment

Didn't read...

Comment

It was a great fight, and for me the second best fight of the year so far after:

Bradley vs Provodnikov

Comment

When I saw Froch-Kessler II, I saw a really good fight. But never in a billion years did I consider it a "Fight of the Year" candidate. It was very similar like every other Froch fight. Watch Froch vs Glen Johnson and you will see basically the exact same fight. Did anybody say after Froch vs Glen Johnson that it was a FOTY?

Comment

Jones vs Lebedev and Bradley vs Provodnikov were fights in which BOMBS were landed. In the Lebedev fight both fighters were landing bombs throughout the whole fight.
                    Froch-Kessler was a very technical fight and then you see the last 2 rounds in which both open up in the last minute, and suddenly you think the whole fight was an all out war. When in reality it were 2 minutes of the last 2 rounds.

and again: I am not disrespecting Froch or Kessler (I am a fan of both of them), all I am saying is that what some people say about that fight is simply not true.

Comment

Working...
                    X