No announcement yet.

Chin ups/ pull ups?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chin ups/ pull ups?

are you all doing many chin ups or is this not conducive to training for boxing? I'm now up to about 25 pull ups daily. I can see this is making my upper body bigger and don't want this to slow me down speed wise. Particularly back and shoulders.

Also, how do guys balance their muscle mass vs weight when trying to stay lean as possible?

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
    are you all doing many chin ups or is this not conducive to training for boxing? I'm now up to about 25 pull ups daily. I can see this is making my upper body bigger and don't want this to slow me down speed wise. Particularly back and shoulders.

Also, how do guys balance their muscle mass vs weight when trying to stay lean as possible?
    I personally don't do them, but I do see guys at the gym doing it - more so to stretch out.

Comment

I do weighted chin ups and dips as a part of my strength and conditioning. The goal is to increase absolute strength and build mass. Right now for this first cycle I'm doing 3x5 (increasing weight by 5 lbs linearly) then once I get to 75 lbs attached weight (should be next week) I'll cut it back to 40 lbs and do 3x10 and build up until I get to 75 then increase weight until I can only do 3x5.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
        I do weighted chin ups and dips as a part of my strength and conditioning. The goal is to increase absolute strength and build mass. Right now for this first cycle I'm doing 3x5 (increasing weight by 5 lbs linearly) then once I get to 75 lbs attached weight (should be next week) I'll cut it back to 40 lbs and do 3x10 and build up until I get to 75 then increase weight until I can only do 3x5.
        That's some serious routines there.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          I personally don't do them, but I do see guys at the gym doing it - more so to stretch out.
          This. Not really needed when heading into a fight!

Comment

1) Pull-ups (overhand grip) and chin-ups (underhand grip) are great bodyweight exercises which strengthen the upper back, biceps, brachialis and brachioradialis.

2) Training any muscle group daily is generally ill-advised, in order to grow stronger muscles need to recover from the previous training session; if you are making progress training daily, fine, if not, consider doing pull-ups and chins on only 2 or 3 nonconsecutive days per week (Monday and Thurday, for example, or Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

3) Generally speaking, making the muscles involved in a given movement stronger enables one to perform the movement more quickly rather than more slowly. In the case of pull-ups and chins, the relevant "boxing movement" is moving the arm back after punching; biceps, brachialis and brachioradialis are also involved in uppercuts and hooks; clinching also uses these muscles.

Needless to say, boxing is more directly dependent on muscles involved in weight training "pushing movements" than in "pulling movements", so one should certainly not neglect such muscles as the anterior (front) and medial (side) deltoids--but it is important to train and stretch muscles which oppose these "primary boxing muscles" in order to avoid injury.

4) One of the main reasons why some boxers who begin lifting weights initially report a reduction in speed is that they have not properly managed their training volume and intensity; in other words, they are overtrained and are consequently very tired. While the long-term solution to this is to properly manage your training volume and intensity, should you ever find yourself in this predicament, you can always simply stop lifting weights. Within two weeks, your speed should return, along with newfound power. And, if you resume lifting weights within 2 weeks, you are likely to find that you are no weaker than you were when you last lifted; you may even find you are stronger.

5) Ideally, one wishes to be relatively heavy on fight night for the weight division one is competing in so that one enters the ring carrying more muscle mass than one's opponent. Canelo Alvarez is an absolute master of this; Gennady Golovkin--by way of comparison--has placed himself at a relative disadvantage vs Canelo (and Daniel Jacobs) by not adding muscle mass. Most of how much weight one gains while strength training is due to diet; however, if--despite your best efforts to stay disciplined with your eating--you find yourself "outgrowing your division" (and don't wish to move up) I would analyze your weight training regimen and eliminate less essential exercises/reduce work on less crucial bodyparts. Bodyparts I consider most essential to specifically target with weights include: neck, trapezius, abdominals (including obliques, deltoids (including rotator cuffs and rear delts), and lower back.
            For example--regardless of whether I wished to move up in weight, move down in weight, or stay in the same division, I would always train my neck to be as strong as I could possibly make it.
            Muscles I consider less important to target with weights include: tibialis anterior, calves, lats, and hamstrings. So, if I needed to reduce muscle mass to make weight, I would have no problem eliminating standing calf raises or lying leg curls.
            Those I'd regard as "in between" include: pecs, biceps and triceps (which already receive quite a bit of work when hitting the heavy bag), quads and glutes.

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
              This. Not really needed when heading into a fight!
              I doubt any trainer would allow their fighter to do chin ups prior to a fight.

Comment

wow,
                that was a long response^
                look yo it's really simple
                25 chinups a day is small volume, not gonna be causing much hypertrophy by itself
                if youre afraid of size slowing you down, then pull up quickly!
                like into a muscle up. train fast to be fast
                good luckk

Comment

Originally posted by rodwright View Post
                  wow,
                  that was a long response^
                  look yo it's really simple
                  25 chinups a day is small volume, not gonna be causing much hypertrophy by itself
                  if youre afraid of size slowing you down, then pull up quickly!
                  like into a muscle up. train fast to be fast
                  good luckk
                  To some its small. Some people, like Gomer Pile, can barely do one chinup.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    To some its small. Some people, like Gomer Pile, can barely do one chinup.
                    25 reps per day is 175 per week; Dorian Yates built his back on one weekly back workout consisting of roughly 80 reps--some of them warmups. And that covered everything from lower back to lats to rear delts. He did train traps on another day; if you wish to add that (two sets of dumbbell shugs--one warmup and one to failure) to the workout--Yates trained his back with roughly 100 reps per week.

Result: https://youtu.be/rQAe2m91E64

Comment

Working...
                    X