No announcement yet.

What's up with (mostly white) people taking unemployable degrees in college

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
    I'm good with computers. What degrees could I get?
    I'd recommend going for a phD in Brazzers.

You'll have a lot to show for your efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
      This, absolutely correct.

Absolutely correct. Automation is not going to lead to massive unemployment (not on a national scale at least), it's simply going to shift low skilled employment from manufacturing over to innovation/technology.

The problem is that the low skill jobs will disappear in once place and appear in another; the innovation areas where the new tech is being created. Some cities will grow by leaps and bounds, other cities will become redundant. Accepting and making these transitions is going to be the big challenge of the 21st century.
      This is flawed thinking...

Low skilled workers arent just going to be able to start working in innovation/technology..

Low skilled workers are the idiots you grew up with that never worried about school, grades, etc and just partied.. in adulthood they use to be able to make a living by joining some low skilled Union/job... Now those are getting automated, these idiots won't suddenly become innovators and write code for apps or doing anything that requires critical thinking skills.. They will just be on public aid, blaming everyone and not holding themselves accountable for being such an idiot during school years

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
        how are you gonna do this when it takes everything you've got just to survive?
        yeah, that's why i don't get all these people who have no empathy for the less fortunate....the poor have no room to make mistakes...my field is computing so you know 50% of the *******s in management are just there because they know the right people. I know guys whose parents busted their ass off to give them an education and were very hard working students and they work low paying jobs with no upside because the owners would rather get a job for a friend's son than reward the most productive natural leaders they have in their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
          I'm good with computers. What degrees could I get?

Maybe I could work as a medical transcriptionist.
          Good with computers in what way??

Software- writing code, graphic arts, video editing, etc

Or

Hardware- building networks, loops, circuits, mainframes, etc

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
            yeah, that's why i don't get all these people who have no empathy for the less fortunate....the poor have no room to make mistakes...my field is computing so you know 50% of the *******s in management are just there because they know the right people. I know guys whose parents busted their ass off to give them an education and were very hard working students and they work low paying jobs with no upside because the owners would rather get a job for a friend's son than reward the most productive natural leaders they have in their ranks.
            I have seen this myself, you don't need qualifications if you know the right people, and I always had to be the one fixing the mistakes they made for half their wages

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
              I have seen this myself, you don't need qualifications if you know the right people, and I always had to be the one fixing the mistakes they made for half their wages
              Something tells me that crony capitalism and class warfare are going to be the biggest domestic issues in the United States in my lifetime.

You can only marginalize and demonize a group of people (poor people, in this instance) so much before they justifiably strike back. A national strike day for low wage workers in this country would be a huge kick in the dick that would be felt by everybody.

The only question is who organizes it? Martin Luther King Jr. tried to 48 years ago and got assassinated for his efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                Something tells me that crony capitalism and class warfare are going to be the biggest domestic issues in the United States in my lifetime.

You can only marginalize and demonize a group of people (poor people, in this instance) so much before they justifiably strike back. A national strike day for low wage workers in this country would be a huge kick in the dick that would be felt by everybody.

The only question is who organizes it? Martin Luther King Jr. tried to 48 years ago and got assassinated for his efforts.
                when I think about this stuff it would have to be some kind of underground group like in Fight Club, so the FBI and hired hit men for the global megacorporations can't take out the leaders. it can't be organized by one well known public figure like MLK or Julian Assange, it's too easy for Crooked Hilary's wall street buddies to hire someone to take them out

Comment

I got no sympathy for idiots that didn't pay attention in school, and now have crap lives in adulthood..

I have never met someone that did good in school that then failed in life

Comment

Good question. The person who organizes it would have to be someone who isn't afraid to die.

When Occupy Wall Street was going on the FBI found out about a plot to "engage in sniper attacks against protestors in Houston, Texas, if deemed necessary." But they withheld that information from the public and the protesters.

If it had been Wall Street fat cats who were targeted you can bet that the FBI would have let them know in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      I got no sympathy for idiots that didn't pay attention in school, and now have crap lives in adulthood..

I have never met someone that did good in school that then failed in life
                      You're seriously oversimplifying the issue.

These are hard working people who have worked hard their entire life and now, as a result of the global economy, have no buying power whatsoever.

Not everybody is cut out to be a fucking doctor, lawyer, or engineer. You're not accounting for the vast array of talents and attributes present in populations. I suck at carpentry, but I'm pretty skilled with computers. Others are naturally inclined towards working with their hands but suck with computers or math.

That doesn't mean these people are stupid, didn't pay enough attention in school, or have nothing to contribute. It's just acknowledging that every human being has their own skillset and limitations and that the economy relies heavily on all of those skillsets.

If everybody had what it took to be a neurosurgeon then we'd all be unemployed neurosurgeons.

Comment

Working...
                      X