Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward: Kovalev's Power 'is Not What It's Cracked Up to Be'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andre Ward: Kovalev's Power 'is Not What It's Cracked Up to Be'

Sergey Kovalev obviously was strong enough to drop Andre Ward in the second round of their light heavyweight title fight November 19. Ward recovered from the right hand that knocked him down, though, and Kovalev couldn't hurt him enough to send Ward to the canvas again during any of the following 10 rounds. While Ward admits Kovalev caught him with "a good shot" during a reckless defensive moment, the undefeated light heavyweight champion wasn't overly impressed with Kovalev's vaunted power.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Kolv wobble him and put him on his ass! I wanted Ward to win but Ward just talking ***** now I hope kolv finishes him

Comment

Originally posted by Rudiamonds View Post
      Kolv wobble him and put him on his ass! I wanted Ward to win but Ward just talking ***** now I hope kolv finishes him
      But then? His power was nul after the first 5 rounds.

Comment

you were hurt and wobbled by a JAB

Comment

Oh coWARD. More delusional talk from a hypocritical fraud....when will you learn?

Comment

well he went up in weight n lasted 12... that jab is a beast tho, if kov could work off of it more hed win pretty easily but that's easier said than done. why is everyone so angry? Ward is just giving his assessment God damn u guys cry over anything.

Comment

Why did he put you on the Floor ? Why hold so much than ?

Comment

You got wobbled twice by a jab and dropped hard, so a little bit of credibility goes out the window when you say that.

But then again you've been inactive for years, and then moved up weight and fought weak fighters. It was always gonna take you some time to get used to that elite power again. You didn't get wobbled and dropped after that and you didn't fight scared, careful yes, but not scared, so maybe you're on to something.

I think Kov has power, but like Keith Thurman, you survive the early onslaught and you aint got much to worry about after that. It's elite level power, but not otherworldly power, and he aint got the stamina to carry it out throughout a fight. His punches become less and less effective as the rounds pile up.

But then again, very few guys can punch you just as hard in the 11th and 12th round as they did in the first three rounds, and most of those guys are heavyweights (Joshua, Wilder, etc).

Comment

Kovalev's fanboys will be all hot and bothered by this. But, Ward makes a valid point. I think Kovalev's physical stregnth, combined with his better than average power definitely shocked Ward early. He wasn't hurt, but he was definitely knocked off balance by a stiff, well timed jab in the first. And of course dropped by a well timed counter right by Kovalev in the second. But even then he wasn't really hurt. After that, Ward seemed to adjust to what he was up against. And Kovalev's power really wasn't much of a factor after that. It just became an evenly matched boxing match.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                    Why did he put you on the Floor ? Why hold so much than ?
                    Kovalev was responsible for more of thw clinching than Ward.

Comment

Working...
                    X